Hot Seat

GoBigRed

6 hours ago, royalfan said:

I thought we fired him after he went 6-14 in the league and left a completely empty cupboard for Hoiberg to deal with.  Had he came back we might well have gone 0-20.  It was an unmitigated disaster since Craig Smith left him.  Smith was obviously the guy doing the coaching.  

Yeah, winning 13 conference games in 17-18 was an “unmitigated disaster”. 🙄

1 hour ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

Yeah, winning 13 conference games in 17-18 was an “unmitigated disaster”. 🙄

They beat one team that year and got 4 teams in the dance.  It was a down year and they didnt make the tourney so dont act like that was some breakout year.

37 minutes ago, coughunter said:

They beat one team that year and got 4 teams in the dance.  It was a down year and they didnt make the tourney so dont act like that was some breakout year.

That's not a completely unfair take.  However, I'll take winning most games against average competition over losing just about every game to anyone with a pulse.

50 minutes ago, throwback said:

I hate writing this, but here goes.

Fred looks really worn down and has for quite a while. Not that I blame him. I feel the same way watching this team ... and I only do it once. He has to go back and watch the film over and over. (Of course, I didn't put this roster together, so I don't deserve that punishment, but I digress.)

I may be projecting here, but it feels like he's been worn down ever since the start of covid. He just doesn't seem to have the same enthusiasm as he did that first year, either in game or when speaking with the media. With his health problems, and with what the team went through last year, it's completely understandable. But the program, players, and fans deserve better than a coach who projects a worn down image.

I'm just not sure he's dedicated to the daily grind it takes at this point. I definitely could be wrong, but with the jr high style mistakes we make on the court, I feel pretty confident in saying that the team is not grinding during practice. The coaches clearly are letting a lot of things slide in practice. 

Ultimately, I don't think he gets fired at the end of the season, even if we lose the next 20. However, if  something like that happens, I think it's probably 50/50 that he just steps down and works out a reduced buyout with Trev. 

Quite frankly, with the way this is going, that may be the best outcome. It ain't working. We're making this look waaaaay too hard. With the resources we have, playing basketball that looks somewhat competent shouldn't be this hard, and we're light years away from the level of competent.

It would take a seismic shift to fix it at this point, and, although I do think Trey's return will make a difference, I'm pretty confidence it won't be seismic. I don't feel like Fred has a seismic shakeup in him at this point.

It would be nice to see a coach with a bit of energy in them.  I'm sure what you say is true...but hell the KSU coach was all over the place. Fred (at least from where I sit) stands there and occasionally motions.  I've only seen him have to be controlled by the coaches and the players once in the three years he's been here. People put a lot of the way the team plays on the coach.  I'm guessing that if the coach is going to be lethargic, then the players are going to be that way too.  

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

That's not a completely unfair take.  However, I'll take winning most games against average competition over losing just about every game to anyone with a pulse.

I agree but that is a bare minimum.  There is no reason this program should win less then 50% of their games every year.  That should be an expectation unless some odd thing occurs.  I get they havent but the $, resources, fan support should be able to obtain this.  Is that so hard to ask for?

2 hours ago, throwback said:

I hate writing this, but here goes.

Fred looks really worn down and has for quite a while. Not that I blame him. I feel the same way watching this team ... and I only do it once. He has to go back and watch the film over and over. (Of course, I didn't put this roster together, so I don't deserve that punishment, but I digress.)

I may be projecting here, but it feels like he's been worn down ever since the start of covid. He just doesn't seem to have the same enthusiasm as he did that first year, either in game or when speaking with the media. With his health problems, and with what the team went through last year, it's completely understandable. But the program, players, and fans deserve better than a coach who projects a worn down image.

I'm just not sure he's dedicated to the daily grind it takes at this point. I definitely could be wrong, but with the jr high style mistakes we make on the court, I feel pretty confident in saying that the team is not grinding during practice. The coaches clearly are letting a lot of things slide in practice. 

Ultimately, I don't think he gets fired at the end of the season, even if we lose the next 20. However, if  something like that happens, I think it's probably 50/50 that he just steps down and works out a reduced buyout with Trev. 

Quite frankly, with the way this is going, that may be the best outcome. It ain't working. We're making this look waaaaay too hard. With the resources we have, playing basketball that looks somewhat competent shouldn't be this hard, and we're light years away from the level of competent.

It would take a seismic shift to fix it at this point, and, although I do think Trey's return will make a difference, I'm pretty confidence it won't be seismic. I don't feel like Fred has a seismic shakeup in him at this point.

In a recent podcast Dirk Chatelain said he wouldn't be surprised if this came to an end in the middle of this season if things (effort) don't turn around quickly. He said from the people he's talked to that the culture is that bad over there right now.

15 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

In a recent podcast Dirk Chatelain said he wouldn't be surprised if this came to an end in the middle of this season if things (effort) don't turn around quickly. He said from the people he's talked to that the culture is that bad over there right now.

Link? would like to listen to this

1 hour ago, throwback said:

It's a well thought out take. The buyout is at least $14 million on April 1st (I think I have my math right) so with Frost's next season pending the athletic department will need to figure how how much money there is to burn on yet another coach firing.  Time will tell how compelled Fred will be to resign. 

Otherwise, if your a booster with the sort of money to payout Fred, hit me up in the DMs. I'm willing to turn this into fire fred hoops central for a relative bargain. 

18 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

*This* is how rumors work though...it's taking speculation and turning it into an outcome.

Just now, hhcmatt said:

*This* is how rumors work though...it's taking speculation and turning it into an outcome.

not saying it’ll happen or that dirk said it will happen. I was paraphrasing too, but it caught me off guard that it would be even on the table for a guy in the local media. 

to be clear, I think he’ll be here the rest of the season (which is going to be hell). But I do think some progress needs to be made before March to justify another year. If we only win 1 or 2 Big Ten games………

1 minute ago, GoBigFred said:

not saying it’ll happen or that dirk said it will happen. I was paraphrasing too, but it caught me off guard that it would be even on the table for a guy in the local media. 

to be clear, I think he’ll be here the rest of the season (which is going to be hell). But I do think some progress needs to be made before March to justify another year. If we only win 1 or 2 Big Ten games………

It's more of a generalized statement to illustrate how we (as a fanbase, not here specifically) got to a point where the AD had to put out a statement.

22 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

It was on the Nick Bahe Podcast a week ago. About 36 minutes in they started talking Nebraska basketball.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nick-bahe-podcast/id1475903567

That was brutal. They really spent no time talking X's and O's. That was just Nick and Dirk praying that they put forth effort moving forward. 

1 minute ago, jimmykc said:

I hate to say this, but Fred may have peaked as a coach at ISU when transfers were the exceptions rather than the rule and he was one of the first to recognize their value. A lot has changed in college basketball since then. 

Maybe -but the problems with the team this year seem WAY more tied to lack of scheme and effort than to lack of talent.

2 hours ago, royalfan said:

Not sure what you call 36-56 in the league since Smith left.  I call it an unmitigated disaster.  I can't help you padna if you think it is good.  

17-18 & 18-19 were the second winningest two year period in program history. I get that 19-20 wasn’t going to be great with Miles, but it would have been better than what you did get. 

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

It's more about if you think 36-56 is an unmitigated disaster, what in Webster's dictionary does one call 5-36?

My vocabulary doesn't go deep enough.  I do put about 17 or so of them on Miles.  There was not any talent whatsoever left behind.  But even then, it is hard to fathom or put into words.  Hoiberg looks exhausted.  It is a very similar story as Frost.  Comes in good looking, energetic.  Seems like it will work great.  Neither guys systems worked well in Big 10 and both very uncomfortable figuring out what does work.  Both look beaten down and defeated.  Neither likely to have a very happy ending.  Tough deal.  

12 minutes ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

17-18 & 18-19 were the second winningest two year period in program history. I get that 19-20 wasn’t going to be great with Miles, but it would have been better than what you did get. 

So you would not have traded in Miles with a dumpster fire coming back so likely to get fired the next year anyway for Hoiberg if you thought you had a chance to land him?   

p.S. It is more like the 20th best 2 year stretch in Nebraska history.  More games and especially more "buy" games can make your definition of winningest by simply adding up win counts kind of a faulty measure of success.  

Edited by royalfan