Hot Seat

GoBigRed

Fred's issues at ISU involved impermissible contacts by assistants, and he (and McDermott before him) were not accused of wrongdoing. The issues also involved football and other sports. Fred turned in a grad assistant who was not supposed to be attending an AAU event that Fred was at watching Jack play. So I think Fred's reputation was good when he was hired, and I'd prefer to believe it will be when this is over.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9157765/iowa-state-cyclones-say-ncaa-case-started-men-basketball-aide

As for Matt A, an acquaintance (a bluebird fan) said when he was hired that he had a sketchy reputation while at St. John's. I've often thought of that when we were bringing in top-level kids but never brought it up before. However, his name seems to be coming up with this current stuff. 

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Fred's issues at ISU involved impermissible contacts by assistants, and he (and McDermott before him) were not accused of wrongdoing. The issues also involved football and other sports. Fred turned in a grad assistant who was not supposed to be attending an AAU event that Fred was at watching Jack play. So I think Fred's reputation was good when he was hired, and I'd prefer to believe it will be when this is over.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9157765/iowa-state-cyclones-say-ncaa-case-started-men-basketball-aide

As for Matt A, an acquaintance (a bluebird fan) said when he was hired that he had a sketchy reputation while at St. John's. I've often thought of that when we were bringing in top-level kids but never brought it up before. However, his name seems to be coming up with this current stuff. 

thanks chuck! the internet's a lovely place for rumors, ain't it? 

5 hours ago, tcp said:

I apoloogize if thishas been covered elsewhere, but I just learnedn that our friend Hoiberg has had this problem before. 

I don't recall this during the hiring time so I'm unclear as to how serious it was, but apparently he's been caught with recruiting violations at Iowa St, too. Did we ignore this? Not know this? Did we miss a spot in the vetting process or was the ISU coach involved not guilty? 

If anyone knows, pls enlightened. Because I didn't think NU would hire a known cheater for this job.

Matt Abdelmassih has been known to do shady recruiting tactics in the past. I know for sure it was mentioned on this board before he was hired and the commentary from the board was more "that's the environment we're in now" and "that's the way to win in today's landscape". Of course, not speaking for everyone's opinion on that, but it had been discussed.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Matt Abdelmassih has been known to do shady recruiting tactics in the past. I know for sure it was mentioned on this board before he was hired and the commentary from the board was more "that's the environment we're in now" and "that's the way to win in today's landscape". Of course, not speaking for everyone's opinion on that, but it had been discussed.

I was actually one who brought up Matt A when he was hired.  It did kind of ruffle a few feathers, but I had nothing “concrete” so I understood posters being a little hesitant.  My biggest thing was that I had hoped, and still do, that we’d do/did things the right way.  Was hoping rumors were, and are still wrong.  We shall see if this supposed article drops.

Edited by hskr4life

13 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I was actually one who brought up Matt A when he was hired.  It did kind of ruffle a few feathers, but I had nothing “concrete” so I understood posters being a little hesitant.  My biggest thing was that I had hoped, and still do, that we’d do/did things the right way.  Was hoping rumors were, and are still not wrong.  We shall see if this supposed article drops.

I'm all for the cheating part - it's the getting caught stuff that bothers me!

I meant that as a joke. Jimmy's always asking if wherever we are is rock bottom. It's an inside joke that goes back to another poster -- I believe @huskerbill85 -- suggesting that a moment far more rosy than our current situation was "rock bottom." Ah, to get back to the days when "rock bottom" was a mere flesh wound.

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I meant that as a joke. Jimmy's always asking if wherever we are is rock bottom. It's an inside joke that goes back to another poster -- I believe @huskerbill85 -- suggesting that a moment far more rosy than our current situation was "rock bottom." Ah, to get back to the days when "rock bottom" was a mere flesh wound.

That and rock bottom is only identifiable with hindsight.

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Local reporters still have the story to report it. I'd guess the locals are working to get the info to get it out there sooner if possible.

Of course for someone like Robin Washut, his salary depends on interest in the Nebraska basketball program. Not a good incentive to be the one breaking a story like this.

1 minute ago, HuskerActuary said:

Of course for someone like Robin Washut, his salary depends on interest in the Nebraska basketball program. Not a good incentive to be the one breaking a story like this.

Yeah, it's a tough spot for him. And Padilla, too. If it gets broken, it'll probably be Watkins or Basnett. Perhaps one of the tv stations. 

Edited by uneblinstu
Probably won't be the DN with it being finals week and then the holiday break...

34 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

In a season like this, that's one thing that might actually drive interest.

It could, but with as tied into the team with the podcasts and NIL involvement, I'd be surprised if he was the one to break that story. Callahan, however...

Edited by uneblinstu

2 minutes ago, Number6 said:

Lot of nobody knowing anything in this thread and grasping at straws.  

What was the original thread on whatever paid board and what did it say?  Let's get some actual info going here.

You're effectively getting exactly what was posted, fwiw. 

Also - Robin Washut responded to posts on RSS yesterday basically saying "yeah I've heard these rumors and there seems to be a lot of smoke for there to be no fire." And I don't feel like he'd say that unless he was pretty sure something was going on. He's usually pretty tight lipped with drama.