Hot Seat

GoBigRed

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

But unless he throws in the towel Hoiberg is not going anywhere right now. So, I’d say he should start with 1. Recruit a real PG. 2. Recruit an actual center. Fill in the roster from there. Maybe Trev will force him to make some coaching changes. Matt A is likely not coming back. I couldn’t tell you what Doc and Gates do. I will give Loenser a pass because he just showed up to this shit show. 

Getting Lloyd was a good start to the ball handling issue and kieta should solve the big issue. Walker is good in his role, but kieta is bigger. Next I'd look at one experienced pg with HM experience (there will be one or two) and Avery Brown. Q can also factor in here as he's an unknown. 

Also need a "4" as Lat isn't coming back and Wilhelm probably moves to full time 5 next year. 

# 1 priority on our list is learning how to play defense.  We can't give up 100 points a game, and expect to win.  Bryce and Verge do not get into proper position.  They play too up and down.  

#2 priority is making 3's.  In order to do that, we have to take better shots.

Roster management needs improving.  We need a Glynn Watson point guard.  Someone that takes care of the ball, distribute, and can hit shots.  I think that would help with our shot selection. 

My expectation for this year, was to avoid opening day at the Big 10 tournament.   I don't see that happening barring a crazy turnaround.   We will find out next Sunday what this team is made of.

This makes me sick to say it…but send a spy into that private college 60 miles north and figure out how they do a so much better job of recruiting to identity, developing players, and demanding effort and consistency.  How a guy like Hawkins is thriving there but our highly-touted transfers aren’t is a real issue.

There is more to CBB coaching than accumulating raw talent.  I never thought I would be here 25 years later missing Nee’s in-game coaching.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Who frickin knows with these guys and this team - but to me Wilhelm is a “4.” Blaise is a modern 5 and Wilhelm is a modern 4. 

I kinda agree. It depends on how the offseason goes for him. I'd still get a big wing or a big who can shoot to compensate that.

I'm also not a big Andre guy. Far too foul and turnover prone for me. 

21 minutes ago, OurDecay said:

This makes me sick to say it…but send a spy into that private college 60 miles north and figure out how they do a so much better job of recruiting to identity, developing players, and demanding effort and consistency.  How a guy like Hawkins is thriving there but our highly-touted transfers aren’t is a real issue.

There is more to CBB coaching than accumulating raw talent.  I never thought I would be here 25 years later missing Nee’s in-game coaching.

They let coach A do all that recruiting and clamor about how good he is at it.  He recruits talent but Looks like a hodgepodge of misfit toys, just like the St John’s teams when he was there.   

6 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Looks like Hoiberg's buyout is 15mil after this year, he is more than safe. We could lose the rest of the games this season by 30 in an empty PBA and they still won't spend 15 mil to buyout a basketball coach with football the way it is. 

As he should be. Its freaking Nebraska basketball if were preaching being patient with a blue blood football program we absolutely should do the same with a historically bad basketball program. 

14 hours ago, Milk said:

And Minnesota is gonna win by 10 at Michigan.   Under 1st year coach Ben Johnson.   The talk of “takes multiple years” to rebuild a program these days is pretty mute. 

It’s worth mentioning, everyone in Minnesota HATED that hire when it was made & frankly is still in somewhat of a state of disbelief.

9 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

As he should be. Its freaking Nebraska basketball if were preaching being patient with a blue blood football program we absolutely should do the same with a historically bad basketball program. 

Yeah I think 4 years should be the minimum in any sport. It's likely we are sweeping the cellar in the B1G again this year, if that's the case next year needs to be a NIT/NCAAs or bust type season.  I kinda reached the point with Hoiberg where I did with Frost. I am not gonna call for them to be fired or anything, just wouldn't really care if either of them took a different job for whatever reason.