Hot Seat

GoBigRed

Just now, cornfed24-7 said:

Oh no we can evaluate it now. 

Not according to many in this thread. Way too premature to talk about how this program has no chemistry, no passion, no teamwork, and generally no clue on either end of the floor.

I'm sure it'll get fixed next year. 🙃

I just don't understand the notion that people think we'll be better next year even with this "core" group being a year older. OK if you want to call the returning core group of young players: Wilhelm, Tominaga, Wilcher, Keon and Andre (Bryce isn't coming back), these are just OK players. From what I've seen this year as a whole these guys are no better than young players we've had going back to Collier and Doc and Miles. They can all be decent rotation players but they aren't going to carry us into the top half of the Big Ten by any stretch of the imagination. I don't think a single one of those guys has All-Big Ten type potential. Wilhelm would have to develop a LOT, and even then, I don't see anything better than an 11ppg and 6rpg guy as a senior. Every Big Ten team has good players. Every Big Ten team brings in highly regarded recruits.

We have to do something different to separate ourselves. We've talked about wanting to build a program that relies on veteran upperclassmen who've been in the program for years and have a really good team every 3 or 4 years, and instead we have Abdelmassih's approach that is completely contrary to that. Bring 'em in, ship 'em out, rinse and repeat. 

6 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

I just don't understand the notion that people think we'll be better next year even with this "core" group being a year older. OK if you want to call the returning core group of young players: Wilhelm, Tominaga, Wilcher, Keon and Andre (Bryce isn't coming back), these are just OK players. From what I've seen this year as a whole these guys are no better than young players we've had going back to Collier and Doc and Miles. They can all be decent rotation players but they aren't going to carry us into the top half of the Big Ten by any stretch of the imagination. I don't think a single one of those guys has All-Big Ten type potential. Wilhelm would have to develop a LOT, and even then, I don't see anything better than an 11ppg and 6rpg guy as a senior. Every Big Ten team has good players. Every Big Ten team brings in highly regarded recruits.

We have to do something different to separate ourselves. We've talked about wanting to build a program that relies on veteran upperclassmen who've been in the program for years and have a really good team every 3 or 4 years, and instead we have Abdelmassih's approach that is completely contrary to that. Bring 'em in, ship 'em out, rinse and repeat. 

You are surprised that some Husker fans think we will magically be better next year? There is quite a few in the fanbase that still say things like “who are we going to get that’s better than Scott Frost”?  So that’s not surprising. 

But unless he throws in the towel Hoiberg is not going anywhere right now. So, I’d say he should start with 1. Recruit a real PG. 2. Recruit an actual center. Fill in the roster from there. Maybe Trev will force him to make some coaching changes. Matt A is likely not coming back. I couldn’t tell you what Doc and Gates do. I will give Loenser a pass because he just showed up to this shit show. 

Just now, uneblinstu said:

They've at least got a real center in the class. So, that's a start...

We've thought and said that bout so many guys throughout the years. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I'm assuming we've got another Moses Abraham or Duby Akeke on our hands. Would be nice if he lived up to expectations, but when does that happen for us.

The whole system is junk. From player evaluations, fundamentals and the bush-league schemes. It hasn't and won't work in a serious conference.

NU should renegotiate Hoiberg's contract: pay him the minimum amount allowable (as a state employee) and stop with the expectations and promises. The university could use the revenue in better ways. Students can still have fun at games. I remember Northwestern football during their win-less years where the fans had great fun even though they knew they would lose every game. I suggest we look at NU sports in a new way. It will be far less difficult to accept when we know there is no chance at success. Or to quote the great Jon Johnson: “There’s no hope. Fuck everything. Go Big Red.”

2 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

We've thought and said that bout so many guys throughout the years. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I'm assuming we've got another Moses Abraham or Duby Akeke on our hands. Would be nice if he lived up to expectations, but when does that happen for us.

I get it, but this is as close to a B1G center that I've seen recruited here since we joined the conference.

10 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

At this point I'm on board with moving Doc to an administrative position. I like him. And then you give Hoiberg the same deal Frost got. Hire some new coaches and you get a year.

I could be wrong but I doubt Trev will want to be firing a football and basketball coach next year even with Frosts reduced buyout. 

Football will always come first. He probably is in no rush to fix a historically bad basketball program when he will likely be looking for a FB coach next year. 

28 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

At this point I'm on board with moving Doc to an administrative position. I like him. And then you give Hoiberg the same deal Frost got. Hire some new coaches and you get a year.

He’s technically already in that position. But, this isn’t on Doc. 

Edited by CrazyforNUHOOPS

10 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I could be wrong but I doubt Trev will want to be firing a football and basketball coach next year even with Frosts reduced buyout. 

Football will always come first. He probably is in no rush to fix a historically bad basketball program when he will likely be looking for a FB coach next year. 

I agree. He can't possibly want to. I'm at the point though where it looks like his wants may not matter. And I'm not saying Hoiberg should be fired in 1.5 years based on the prior 2.5. But at some point there are minimum standards. And I'm not going to state what those should be. All I'm saying is, even though Trev can't possibly want to fire a Hoiberg, it looks like in 1.5 years it is becoming a very likely scenario that even though the minimum standard seems so low, this team may be sooooo bad over a four year period Trev is forced to do something he did not want to do at this moment and time.

21 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

And also It is beginning to look like the football team has a better chance of turning it around next season and saving the coach than the basketball team. 

And If I could travel back in time and tell my 1 month ago self this my 1 month ago self would probably insult my mother.