Hot Seat

GoBigRed

It’s year 3. Back when Fred was hired I think the honest trajectory most of us expected or hoped for was:

Year 1: any postseason would be really cool but not expected. Hope for good foundation building and get better throughout season (7-25 with some losses to teams we had no business losing to, lost 17 in a row to end the year)

Year 2: an NIT berth would be solid progress and on the bubble would be great. (7-20, Covid issues played a part, but overall vastly underwhelming and we beat no one of significance)

Year 3: middle of the pack Big Ten team solidly in the NCAA Tournament. (5-4 right now and realtimerpi projected 10-21, one of worst 3 point shooting teams in the entire country, lost another buy game, wasting the best recruit in program history)

assuming that happens that’s 24-66 over three years. Why should this staff get another year? What has worked or been even remotely encouraging? 

Edited by GoBigFred

3 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:

No I don't see Fred on the hot seat. Should get 2 more seasons.

If we win only 10 games this year, I can live with one more year of running this back. But if I have to watch this one more season….no way. PBA has already been a ghost town for some of the non-conference games since the Creighton debacle. 

Edited by GoBigFred

Hot no way. Warm? We'll see. I am not encouraged at all by what I've seen so far. I do like the pieces on this team that are most likely to come back. And Trev Albert's has shown so far he will give the  Coach a loooong leash. I could see the same approach with Hoiberg. 

Edited by cornfed24-7

these coaches have a lot invested in them. hoiberg's got another year after this one to demonstrate some level of competency.

so far it looks like the pedestrains tory of coaches that can recruit but not coach. normlly NU has the opposite. 

Personally, I'd like to see Sadler take over game days and see vvhat happens then. 

If this continues on the same trajectory, and I see no reason why it's suddenly going to change, hot seat talk is more than warranted at the end of the season. This team should not look like it has for large stretches thus far this season. And it doesn't appear there are many answers from the coaching staff. Maybe it'll get going when Trey comes back, but there are a lot of potentially bad looking games between now and then.

It's utterly mind-boggling why things are where they are at this point. When he was hired, I'd have guessed a less than 1% chance we'd be in this spot early in year 3. Yet, here we are.

Edited by throwback

4 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Hot no way. Warm? We'll see. I am not encouraged at all by what I've seen so far. I do like the pieces on this team that are most likely to come back. And Trev Albert's has shown so far he will give the  Coach a loooong leash. I could see the same approach with Hoiberg. 

I’m sure you’re right. Trev will be patient and give more time. I guess I just don’t see why we should. In my opinion of course, it isn’t working and I have no reason to believe it will. But I hope to be wrong. This program has been pretty bad forever, but the last few seasons now have been even worse. 

5 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

I’m sure you’re right. Trev will be patient and give more time. I guess I just don’t see why we should. In my opinion of course, it isn’t working and I have no reason to believe it will. But I hope to be wrong. This program has been pretty bad forever, but the last few seasons now have been even worse. 

I'm right there with you. I have seen nothing this year that has encouraged me. The only hope I am grasping to at the moment is the legend and lore of Hoibergs great coaching that preceded him.

Who would have ever thought we’d be saying “how can anyone stomach this Hoiberg offense?” in year three. I blame the type of players they’re bringing in though, not the actual system itself. It feels like they don’t practice what they preach bringing in guys like Teddy Allen and Verge. 

1 hour ago, doc1394 said:

I think it’s a very fair question. At least in the last 2 years it felt like Fred was out coaching the other team with less talent. Now it doesn’t feel like he’s coaching at all. 

I agree.  He looks less interested this year.  In a sense I say this is year 1 cause of what they went thru last year.  But you brought in all this highly rated talent and cant seem to define roles or make it work.   You also pumped all the sunshine how this year you had a whole offseason of workouts and this is the result?  When he was hired I said year 3 tourney.  They will be lucky to get to 10 wins this year.   At that point I will be really concerned if this is gonna work.  

For me it has krept to warm.  I am huge on PG play.  Once upon a time I heard college basketball is a guard’s game.  I still believe that to this day.  And our PG play and recruiting seems like Fred is throwing $%#t against the wall and seeing what sticks.  I still haven’t seen a true PG being targeted by the staff and it really may be our undoing.  

Real world example of the impact of this.  If you didn’t notice during last night’s game, there were multiple times where we were actually passing the ball around the perimeter, and the shooter received the ball in a way they had to adjust to gather the pass instead of catching it clean for a pure shot.  A good pass would have been step in three point attempts which are a heck of a lot easier to knock down.

The results have been terrible.

But, Nebraska football is a blue blood and we just retained a coach that has had 4 losing seasons in a row and really now hope for the future. Chances our the athletic department will be buying him out soon. 

With the above, I don’t believe Trev will be very interested at making a basketball move any time soon. 

2 hours ago, coughunter said:

What does that have to do with anything?  

We ran the last guy out of town after he won 22/19 games. Then we hired the Chicago Bulls Coach & after a whopping one Conference game this season we’ve determined HE’S not good enough either. Having an NBA Coach lends the program a credibility & pedigree we’ve never had before. But like the old saying goes, some people would bitch if you hung em with a new rope…

10 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

We ran the last guy out of town after he won 22/19 games. Then we hired the Chicago Bulls Coach & after a whopping one Conference game this season we’ve determined HE’S not good enough either. Having an NBA Coach lends the program a credibility & pedigree we’ve never had before. But like the old saying goes, some people would bitch if you hung em with a new rope…

The last guy hit his ceiling and failed to take the next step with his talent.  You dont need an NBA guy to give the program credibility.  You need a good coach who wins games and develops players.  The NBA mentality of flipping the roster is why we are where we are.  The transfer portal thing was new at Iowa St but now everyone is doing it.  You cant flip 5-8 players a year and expect to have success. The lack of a pg and solid inside game in year 3 is a reason for concern.  Just cause a person coached in the NBA doesnt mean it translates to success.  Thats why coaches who have coached there stay there.