Hot Seat

GoBigRed

7 hours ago, royalfan said:

My vocabulary doesn't go deep enough.  I do put about 17 or so of them on Miles.  There was not any talent whatsoever left behind.  But even then, it is hard to fathom or put into words.  Hoiberg looks exhausted.  It is a very similar story as Frost.  Comes in good looking, energetic.  Seems like it will work great.  Neither guys systems worked well in Big 10 and both very uncomfortable figuring out what does work.  Both look beaten down and defeated.  Neither likely to have a very happy ending.  Tough deal.  

Except for this one liiitttllle difference. In basketball we are not even remotely competitive. We were extremely competitive against every team we played in football including these 3 teams, tOSU, Mich, OU, who were all at various points in the titel contention, one of whom is playing in the National Championship Playoff. This of course doesn't even factor in that it takes a lot longer in football. It can't be fixed with one or 2 players.

Other than that they are the exact same thing. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

On the radio last night, Fred said he needs to pull players who take bad shots:

“It's my job to get them out of the game if we take those shots moving forward,” Hoiberg said. “We take them out for some of them. I didn't take them out for all of them. ... That's my fault for those shots (continuing) to be taken. I've got to make a move.”

While I applaud this sentiment, I worry we may end up with 3 or 4 players on the floor at some junctures because so many guys will be sitting next to Fred. Poor shot selection seems to have moved beyond pandemic status with this team into endemic status.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/trey-mcgowens-could-return-to-nebraskas-lineup-in-january/article_2939073a-6207-11ec-b088-ef72cbce01b9.html

9 hours ago, royalfan said:

You have never been too fond of Smith for some reason.  He was a big part of the tourney team so I am a bit perplexed by that.  To each his own.   

I have always been very fond of Craig Smith, I believe he is a good young coach and I would be over the moon if we could ever get him to come back to Nebraska to be our head coach (that's never gonna happen for several reasons, but I digress).

But to make him out to be the *only* reason Tim had success here I think is tremendously short sighted and it is insulting to Miles, who I also think is a good coach in his own right.  To see what he's done already at San Jose State is pretty impressive IMO.

17 hours ago, royalfan said:

Yikes.  That would have been dangerous, especially when obvious(in hindsight) how important Smith was to that squad.  Hard to imagine after that Wisconsin game that year we are where we are.  Bummer he couldn't run with the momentum from that.  

Perhaps, but he also did things here that hadn't been done in decades. I'd have given him the chance to really build something solid. Maybe he would have failed in that, but I would have given him every resource to make that happen. The last few years, that didn't happen. If he could have built that stability and gotten Kenya and Lewis to stick around, you're likely looking at a roster with Xavier Johnson, Chucky, Hunter and probably other good pieces around it. His last two seasons he was in total survival mode. I've often wondered if he wasn't feeling like he was fighting for his coaching life at NU if things would have been different. Now, Miles of course bears some of that responsibility. And I think if you ask him what he'd do differently, there would be a few things that he could rattle off that could have changed things. Hindsight only accentuates that seeing how the Hoiberg years have played out.

On 12/20/2021 at 7:37 AM, coughunter said:

They beat one team that year and got 4 teams in the dance.  It was a down year and they didnt make the tourney so dont act like that was some breakout year.

For NU, it was a breakout year. It was literally the second best conference record in modern program history. The only one better was 65-66. I don't care that the conference was down. If the conference would have been better, they still would have won a lot of games. They were a really good team that year. 

10 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

This of course doesn't even factor in that it takes a lot longer in football. It can't be fixed with one or 2 players.

Other than that they are the exact same thing. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

That’s the narrative we have been fed here a long time.  And then you look at guys like Mel Tucker, Bob Stoops or….. Scott Frost at UCF.

But yeah, basketball is much easier to turn to your point.  That is why I am so disappointed in Fred right now.

2 hours ago, throwback said:

“It's my job to get them out of the game if we take those shots moving forward,” Hoiberg said. “We take them out for some of them. I didn't take them out for all of them. ... That's my fault for those shots (continuing) to be taken. I've got to make a move.”

While I applaud this sentiment, I worry we may end up with 3 or 4 players on the floor at some junctures because so many guys will be sitting next to Fred. Poor shot selection seems to have moved beyond pandemic status with this team into endemic status.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/trey-mcgowens-could-return-to-nebraskas-lineup-in-january/article_2939073a-6207-11ec-b088-ef72cbce01b9.html

If he pulls players for taking bad shots...we might literally only have 3 to 4 players on the floor. 

55 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

For NU, it was a breakout year. It was literally the second best conference record in modern program history. The only one better was 65-66. I don't care that the conference was down. If the conference would have been better, they still would have won a lot of games. They were a really good team that year. 

If you’ll recall they beat National Runner-Up Michigan by 20 @ home & also the Fisheaters from up in Omaha (the only time in the last 10 btw) They are also the ONLY team in B1G history to finish 4th in Conference & not make the Dance. 

7 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

If you’ll recall they beat National Runner-Up Michigan by 20 @ home & also the Fisheaters from up in Omaha (the only time in the last 10 btw) They are also the ONLY team in B1G history to finish 4th in Conference & not make the Dance. 

They didn't beat Creighton that year. That was next year. But to your point, what I would give for a season that looks like this again. I mean look at all those W's against competent teams. 

image.png

2 hours ago, throwback said:

How to say we're going to stop Bryce McGowens from taking 27 foot 3pt shots without saying that we're going to stop Bryce McGowens from taking 27 foot 3pt shots

20 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

The 17-18 creighton game was the game where Roby got an offensive rebound late in the game and came down with an elbow on Watson’s head that Glynn got called for his 5th. Strange. 

21 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

They didn't beat Creighton that year. That was next year. But to your point, what I would give for a season that looks like this again. I mean look at all those W's against competent teams. 

image.png

Thanks for correcting me OH, those Creighton losses have been coming so hot & heavy as of late it’s hard to keep them straight…

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

Outside of the Copeland injury, I really wonder what happened or didn't that let that thing spiral the way it did. That team should have been a really good team. They were a shell of what they were in December by the end of the season...

I felt like Big Ten coaches caught up with what we had done the previous season and we couldn't make the adjustment - partly because of Cope's injury leaving us short-handed, which greatly reduced the number of options we had for making adjustments. That was a talented team but definitely not deep.