uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 9 - at Indiana

uneblinstu

I don't agree that we're getting good looks. How many shots come off the second or (gasp!) third pass, with no dribbling in between? I think we have competent shooters, but they rush them too much just to get them off.

NOBODY passes up a shot to get a better shot for a teammate. This is clown ball. You put Wilcher or a Kensei on a real TEAM and they'd drain them. 

Edited by Chuck Taylor
punctuation

2 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I don't agree that we're getting good looks. How many shots come off the second or (gasp!) third pass, with no dribbling in between? I think we have competent shooters, but they rush them too much just to get them off.

NOBODY passes up a shot to get a better shot for a teammate. This is clown ball. You put Wilcher or a Kensei on a real TEAM and they'd drain them. 

Probably my biggest recruiting disappointment with Fred is he doesn’t prioritize true PG’s.  And it shows.  A lot.

Watched most of the game.

Positives:

1.  Defense:  we played well enough on defense to win.  Sort of like football.

2.  Rebounding: 5 to 8 offensive, and 28 to 33 defensive—huge improvements from former games.

Correctible:

1.  Three point shooting: a decent percentage puts us in the hunt for this game (when they fall, we can play with most anyone).  And we had good looks—after a little run late in the game, for example, Keisei misses two wide open looks, and that’s the end of the run.

2.  Unforced turnovers: both Bryce and Wilcher had uncontested feet-shuffle travels that stopped momentum.  Surely those will stop with experience (looked like they were trying to do too much).

Unfortunate:
   1.  Zone defense:  Played some zone when Walker got in foul trouble—unfortunately, Indiana had just finished a 3-overtime game against Syracuse.

Bad:

1.  “Dribbling Verge”:  don’t know if the coaches can correct this.

Maybe more set plays need to be called because we did get some decent looks coming out of timeouts. Offense is stifled because Verge is the only one who can beat his man off the dribble.  Players are standing too much hoping to get a chance to shoot a three, shoot, not make😉

NU might get a win here or there but it’s going to be a struggle.

24 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I think Kieta will help in games like this next year. Everything I've heard about him is that he's a B1G post player. And a floor general. Need one of those. Maybe it's McPherson. Maybe it's Lloyd. Maybe it's a transfer. But that's a huge need, as we all know.

In the juco national championship game last year, Keita’s teammates looked pretty rough. They made 3 or 4 threes as a team. But Keita carried them with 27 points 9 rebounds and 4 blocks. He was unstoppable. 

2 hours ago, busticket said:

Probably my biggest recruiting disappointment with Fred is he doesn’t prioritize true PG’s.  And it shows.  A lot.

When I went to further investigate McPherson I found he wasn't actually a PG either. Like Ramel Lloyd he's a combo guard. It seems concerning.

I guess as far as Verge goes we have until at least January 5th to try and figure something out as that is maybe the first time we can Trey back.

Honestly I can handle him over-dribbling or Bryce driving and taking 30 shots if we can make a winning offense out of it.  I'm not saying that this is the path we should pursue; I'm saying that conference standings are based on wins and loses, not style points.

55 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Honestly I can handle him over-dribbling or Bryce driving and taking 30 shots if we can make a winning offense out of it.  I'm not saying that this is the path we should pursue; I'm saying that conference standings are based on wins and loses, not style points.

Not sure I can handle over dribbling because I have never seen that work in a team environment but I get what you mean.  I don’t care if Bryce takes 30 shots if it is the right basketball play.  If you are open, go.  If not, move the ball.  Problem is he hasn’t figured that out yet.  Pressed way too much right now.  Hopefully it will come around.  He is young after all.

4 hours ago, hal9000 said:

I agree with this completely.  It's not a bad system.  Unfortunately, you can see with what we are trying to do, the horses aren't all there yet.  I have no idea why the 3's aren't falling for Tominaga and Wilcher, but they aren't right now.  Everything else works so much better when they're falling.  I wish I could say Lat was better, but he's just not doing much for us.  I don't see him as a Big Ten caliber player.  And don't forget we're still down Trey.

The issues I have with the 3's is that they are usaually bad shots.  Rarely is there an open 3 shot off of good passing.  Its mostly players taking a 3 without ball movement where they can take that shot at any point.  Its clear Bryce is probably gone after this year by the way he plays.  Funny thing is he doesnt need to shoot like that and score 15 plus a game to get noticed by the NBA.  

28 minutes ago, busticket said:

There needs to be a face palm emoji added to the list 

The team 50 miles to the east has no issues getting a pg year after year and seems to understand ball movement.  If there would of only been a big10 caliber pg we could of got out Omaha who could've started his freshman year....

For some reason we can't make 3's.  We fix free throw shooting.  The players we have returning this year, shot 36.0 % from 3 last year (Lat, Kobe, Trey, Walker, Andre and Lakes).  This year they are shooting 28.3 %.  I think we can still get them shooting 36.0 %.  That will come down to Verge distributing the ball, and not dribbling around.  Today, he played like USD Verge and not NC State Verge.

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

When I went to further investigate McPherson I found he wasn't actually a PG either. Like Ramel Lloyd he's a combo guard. It seems concerning.

The guy who should be playing point guard on this team is playing point guard for the team in Madison, Wisconsin. 

Finally had a chance to watch the game.  

I thought both the offensive and defensive game plans were good.  Defensively, we played heady for about half the game.  Rotations out of the post double were good during that stretch, and we were very tough to score on.  Offensively, we simply couldn’t make shots, and when we didn’t make shots, we quit moving.  

Wilhelm now deserves all of Lat’s minutes.  Start the kid at the 4 and leave him there.  Walker-Andre works fine as a 5 rotation.  Guards have to have some pride and make friggin jumper.  Verge is no longer the problem.  He’s creating a lot of looks right now.  Missing wide open shots or not staying in movement to get them is the problem.  

Who said this?

"It's hard to get a rhythm when the ball sticks. I think we've got to come down, execute our plays a little better so everyone's in the flow of the game. That opens up a lot for everybody. If we do that, I think our shooters get better looks, more consistent looks."

and this

"Just touching the ball sometimes. Just feeling like part of the play."

8 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Who said this?

"It's hard to get a rhythm when the ball sticks. I think we've got to come down, execute our plays a little better so everyone's in the flow of the game. That opens up a lot for everybody. If we do that, I think our shooters get better looks, more consistent looks."

and this

Nebraska_MBB_2022_SB_7612.jpg?width=300

11 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Who said this?

and this

Just came here to post these quotes. Very telling quotes, but not surprising from watching the way the offense runs right now. 

When there's very little offensive flow or when there are multiple possessions where only one guy touches the ball, the other guys stop moving without the ball, and shooters aren't ready for the unexpected pass. Then when that pass comes flying out of a pile of bodies and isn't very accurate, the shooters have no rhythm.

This would explain why our returning shooters are at a far lower percentage this season from 3 than they were last year and why the new sharpshooters we brought in are struggling.

Seems like there's quite a bit of frustration among at least these two players, although, to be fair, these quotes were probably immediately after the game, when frustrations were highest.

However, I'm sure it's not just those two who are feeling the frustration. Coaches need to get a handle on this before it's too late.

Edited by throwback