uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 8 - at NC State

uneblinstu

59 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I tweeted the word "shitshow" twice before that happened. It would have come up. The fact that someone complains about the refs after almost every single game we play I would imagine might contribute to you feeling the need to downplay how egregious some of these calls were. Things got so out of hand that game that no one is even talking about how Breidenbach fouled out because he got an offensive rebound.

Letting refereeing be the focal point of any loss essentially excuses the boys for not playing as well as they need to.  The thing is, they made a lot of bonehead mistakes that cost them the game.  The referees did not force them to do that.

When we refuse to acknowledge that Lat Mayen consistently got beat on defense, and made dumb plays on offense...including dribbling the ball about a dozen times IN THE LANE on one possession, then got himself thrown out of the game because he can't control himself.  That is a problem

When Wilhelm and CJ continually chuck up ill-advised 3 point shots that brick or airball early in the shot clock when we're trying to build on a double digit lead in the second half (or stop a 14-0 run by the opponent), THAT is a problem.

Sure, we hate refs that make a spectacle of themselves on the floor, and TV is probably the worst at that, but it means fuck all if the team goes out there and can't do what needs to be done to win a game.  Even if it has to be done in spite of the refereeing.  And we're doing the team a disservice by excusing their bad play because all we can do is talk about "oh woe is me, the refs are out to get us".

What I'm saying is, refs suck.  So what.  Be better.  Overcome.  Teams that go to the NCAA tournament don't whine around and cry about the refs all season long.  They beat the teams they play.  Even if the team has 8 players on the court. It's just the way it is.

Which is all a long winded way of saying "winners win.  Losers complain about the refs".  We need to not be losers.

20 minutes ago, 49r said:

What I'm saying is, refs suck.  So what.  Be better.  Overcome.  Teams that go to the NCAA tournament don't whine around and cry about the refs all season long.  They beat the teams they play.  Even if the team has 8 players on the court. It's just the way it is.

I've got a similar viewpoint with much of what you said in your full post. But there is one point to address where we may defer a bit.

"Refs suck. So what. Be better. Overcome. Teams that go to the NCAA tournament don't whine around and cry about the refs..."

Sure. Agreed. But there's also some NCAA tournament teams who have had their dreams ripped from them from some questionable officiating calls. (Or, on a lesser scale, like ejecting a head coach from the game against Baylor and forcing a team to overcome much more than what was happening on the court.)

An imbalanced officiated game is like telling one team they're playing flag football and the other team they're playing tackle football.

39 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Capture.JPG

Third OT. Both teams struggling to score. We're up 4 with 2 minutes to go and this ends up as a foul on Breidenbach.  Instead of us getting the possession on an obvious jump ball call, Thomas Allen gets to shoot 2 FTs and Breidenbach is out of the game. We had opportunities to win in this period but we got hamstrung here by Teddy who made this call and then spent 3 minutes at the monitor just to bring it home.

There's a reason this guy doesn't call Big 10 games anymore.  Still counts as a loss though.

Yeah, besides the obvious hack on Verge at the end of regulation, this is the call that aggravated me the most.  I believe we were up 4 with roughly 1:45 left.  If they make the correct jump ball call, we have the ball, run some clock, and are in a great position to close out the game.  So many what ifs and so many things we could have controlled ourselves as well.  

21 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

So . . . 49r:

You used to be an even-handed, positive-type poster . . . over many years, if I recall correctly.

Recently, your posts seem unhappy, angry, glass 1/17th full, down-on-everything, anti-Hoiberg, Nebrasketball-is-terrible, etc.

What's happened?

He’s watched the team play the past 3 seasons?

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I've got a similar viewpoint with much of what you said in your full post. But there is one point to address where we may defer a bit.

"Refs suck. So what. Be better. Overcome. Teams that go to the NCAA tournament don't whine around and cry about the refs..."

Sure. Agreed. But there's also some NCAA tournament teams who have had their dreams ripped from them from some questionable officiating calls. (Or, on a lesser scale, like ejecting a head coach from the game against Baylor and forcing a team to overcome much more than what was happening on the court.)

An imbalanced officiated game is like telling one team they're playing flag football and the other team they're playing tackle football.

That team was living on borrowed time.  We had Benny Parker and three guys that could kind of shoot and that's about it on that team.  It was a nice underdog story and they were extremely fun to watch, but in no way was that team built for any kind of sustained success.  Reality kind of hit that season about midway through the second half of the Big Ten tournament game against Ohio State.  Baylor was a much, much better team that day (and year) anyway.

And to your last point, yeah.  You're probably right, and it's horribly unfair, but it's the reality of the sport and the only way to get past it is to simply overcome it and beat the team you have to play, no matter the circumstances.  You get to be the NC States of the world and get the calls on your side when you beat the NC States of the world.  That's just the way it works.  Always has been and as far as I can tell that's always the way it will be.

52 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Capture.JPG

Third OT. Both teams struggling to score. We're up 4 with 2 minutes to go and this ends up as a foul on Breidenbach.  Instead of us getting the possession on an obvious jump ball call, Thomas Allen gets to shoot 2 FTs and Breidenbach is out of the game. We had opportunities to win in this period but we got hamstrung here by Teddy who made this call and then spent 3 minutes at the monitor just to bring it home.

There's a reason this guy doesn't call Big 10 games anymore.  Still counts as a loss though.

But reffing doesn't matter!!!

24 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

So . . . 49r:

You used to be an even-handed, positive-type poster . . . over many years, if I recall correctly.

Recently, your posts seem unhappy, angry, glass 1/17th full, down-on-everything, anti-Hoiberg, Nebrasketball-is-terrible, etc.

What's happened?

I'm not anti-Hoiberg per se, but the results so far have not been very encouraging.  I am generally a positive person, and I have an almost painful loyalty to the Huskers in every sport.  But one thing I am not is a Pollyanna, and I am not afraid to face the reality that we aren't getting it done at the moment.  I've seen it happen in person at Nebraska in the past so I know it can be done again.  Hopefully that happens again soon.

10 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It also matters when it shows how the team responds to adversity.  Lat Mayen getting tossed because he threw a temper tantrum is the part of the iceberg that we don't see every day in practice.

I've thought Lat had the body language of a middle schooler since the beginning of last year. The fact that it hasn't gotten any better is discouraging. We've had numerous players with this problem the past three seasons. I guess that may come with the territory when you have a player's coach. Juwan Howard and Penny Hardaway's teams have the same issue. This really wasn't much of a problem under our previous three coaches. Either need to start putting more of an emphasis on maturity in recruiting, or let Doc be the bad cop in practices. 

29 minutes ago, 49r said:

I'm not anti-Hoiberg per se, but the results so far have not been very encouraging.  I am generally a positive person, and I have an almost painful loyalty to the Huskers in every sport.  But one thing I am not is a Pollyanna, and I am not afraid to face the reality that we aren't getting it done at the moment.  I've seen it happen in person at Nebraska in the past so I know it can be done again.  Hopefully that happens again soon.

I liked the old 49r much better -- by far!!!

14 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

No punches were thrown, nobody got hurt. An arm was extended for a shove, feelings were hurt, and the officials took the enforcement stance over just cooling tempers.

Seems Hoiberg took the "cooling tempers" approach here.

Lat did kind of go for a “head butt” in the middle of the scrum.  He was 100% the instigator.  Not saying he should have been suspended another game, but not starting seems appropriate if Hoiberg had wanted.

Of course, that could be just me not wanting him to start period too.

Agree on all of the others though.  No punches and not coming off the bench in a situation like that is tough.

I'd just like to see Lat's minutes reduced because he's not playing that well. Maybe ironically, the NCST game was maybe his best game of the season. I know he's been battling some injuries that have probably been hampering him. But he doesn't seem to be helping much out there right now. Maybe he's doing little things that are hard for me to see that keep him on the court, not discounting that possibility.

I only like to bitch about the referees when they are uniformly inept. A 43-15 discrepancy in foul distribution indicates subjective bias, if not outright dishonesty. It would be the equivalent of a football crew calling twenty offensive holding penalties on one team and two on the other. In neither sport would the ignored team be able to win, barring a miracle.

if Lat doesn't see the court at all we probbl win that game. I didn't see every minute, including missing the infamous "lemm estart some sh*t on the opponents floor" scrum he started, but what I did see he was a large vat of suck. 

hoiberg's obviously looking for a different player to eventually emerge, but I'm wondering how much patience is too much? especially when it's costing you games you can and need to win?

in any event, I'm normally not comfy coming down on individual players too much, but he's been driving me nuts so far this year and injury isn't explaining a lot of the crap i think i'm seeing. 

Trev is the ultimate competitor and I guarantee he is pissed about how that game was lost.  Just like his bowl game against Charlie Ward.  Anyone here feel like our guys didn’t do enough to win that game? 

Most of the time you hope your guys are good enough they can overcome lousy officiating, cause it is bound to happen at times and you can’t control that part of the game.  Sometime, though, you get flat out robbed.  You just have to shake it off and move on to the next game.