uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 8 - at NC State

uneblinstu

We didn't deal well with Dowuona. We couldn't move his arse out of the paint and he altered a huge number of shots. It's games like that where we could have used a Walter Pitchford-like big guy who could have forced their big to defend outside of the paint. Us Husker fans are destined to suffer. We are living in one of Dante's circles of hell. 

40 minutes ago, Crush78 said:

To me, the officiating last night fell into the same thing i see so often. Balls out bull charge to rim, quick whistle. But actually use some finesse and angles, like you actually try to make a move, have to be the victim of a felony to get a call. 

The officiating is always going to suck with Teddy involved, but the discrepancy in calls is also due to us going weak to the hole contorting to avoid contact and shooting floaters.  They also have an actual rim protector who had like 8 blocks.  I think the officiating was poor but not as lopsided as many think. <ducks>

14 minutes ago, Nebrasketballin said:

The officiating is always going to suck with Teddy involved, but the discrepancy in calls is also due to us going weak to the hole contorting to avoid contact and shooting floaters.  They also have an actual rim protector who had like 8 blocks.  I think the officiating was poor but not as lopsided as many think. <ducks>

I would go even further and say the officiating was just fine.  We need to learn how to be tougher...and make shots.

9 minutes ago, 49r said:
24 minutes ago, Nebrasketballin said:

Expand  

I would go even further and say the officiating was just fine.  We need to learn how to be tougher...and make shots.

I'm not one to blame the refs in a game. You have to adapt and play the game given to you.

But 75% of free throw opportunities (~45 to 15) is kind of suspect. And when a team goes 19 game minutes without a foul, that's an anomaly, especially in college basketball.

And even with all that if Bryce makes his free throws, we win. That is all.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I was quietly excited to see Lat ejected so I could see how we'd play without him... But Andre was so dumb. What a bone-head. We could have really used him in multiple scenarios. 

Derrick missed a layup in one of the OT he's been making all year I'm guessing because he was gassed

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I continue to be impressed by Quaran McPherson who I've only seen play in a couple of minutes in an exhibition game.  He's sitting by the coaching staff during regulation and then is the only guy on the sideline not losing his shit when they don't get the call. He spots Verge and immediately goes over to help him up.

Prolly gonna transfer....  Hard to get hopes up on guys because if they don't play it seems like they are gone.

1 hour ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Prolly gonna transfer....  Hard to get hopes up on guys because if they don't play it seems like they are gone.

He's redshirting behind two experienced guards who won't be here next year. Q has every chance to get the starting spot next year at the lead guard. 

Fred I don't think would invest a redshirt in him if he didn't want him in the program long term. Look at Elijah wood last year as an example 

My 2 cents worth:

The announcers were awful, but I will give them a little bit of a break, as it can't be easy to broadcast a game when you are not physically there.

The officiating was not good.

That being said, Nebraska still had chances to win the game.

NC State also played very few players in OT. Not a big fan of that myself, but almost all coaches do that in OT.

I agree with the people who say this offense leaves something to be desired. Too much dribbling and not enough ball movement. Except for Verge and Walker, most of the rest of the players don't know how to make good passes, or in some cases, even simple passes. I didn't play a single minute last night, and I had as many assists (0) as 5 of the 9 players who did get minutes. McGowens played 58 minutes and didn't have a single assist. To his credit, he also didn't have a turnover. I was a follower of the recent Nebraska Wesleyan teams. They were fun to watch. Lots of ball movement, and very little dribbling, unless the shot clock was down to about 10 seconds, then they would look to create off of the dribble. Would that offense work at the D1 level, probably not as effective as at the D3 level?

The thing that bothered me the most is the lack of adjustment on the defensive end. NC State only had 1 player who shot over 25% from 3 last night, and he did not play in any of the OT's. There is no way Seabron should have shot 20 FT's AND had 21 FG attempts. He played 56 minutes and had 4 assists and 7 TO's. Either (1) sag off and have all 5 guys have at least 1 foot in the paint and make him make the pass and the shooter hit the 3, or (2) as soon as he gets the ball out top, run another guy at him and make him pass the ball immediately. 

I will always keep up hope that someday Nebraska will win at least 1 NCAA tournament game.

33 minutes ago, rlgyank said:

The thing that bothered me the most is the lack of adjustment on the defensive end. NC State only had 1 player who shot over 25% from 3 last night, and he did not play in any of the OT's. There is no way Seabron should have shot 20 FT's AND had 21 FG attempts. He played 56 minutes and had 4 assists and 7 TO's. Either (1) sag off and have all 5 guys have at least 1 foot in the paint and make him make the pass and the shooter hit the 3, or (2) as soon as he gets the ball out top, run another guy at him and make him pass the ball immediately. 

THIS

All they had in the overtimes was #1.  It was so obvious that they were just clearing out and letting him drive..  Make someone else beat ya!  I cant believe over 4 OTs we couldn't figure it out.  Between DOC and Fred..

16 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Box Score

Didn't realize until just now that Verge was just 2 assists away from a triple double.  That would have been the third ever in school history.  One for each of the last 3 years.  Dang, would have been nice to get that.

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

Didn't realize until just now that Verge was just 2 assists away from a triple double.  That would have been the third ever in school history.  One for each of the last 3 years.  Dang, would have been nice to get that.

Actually just 1 rebound away. They really jacked up the original box score

Here is the actual.

Corrected Box Score

5 hours ago, Coaches kid said:

We didn't deal well with Dowuona. We couldn't move his arse out of the paint and he altered a huge number of shots. It's games like that where we could have used a Walter Pitchford-like big guy who could have forced their big to defend outside of the paint. Us Husker fans are destined to suffer. We are living in one of Dante's circles of hell. 

if WB was hitting shots he could have done just that. Had a bunch of open looks but was clearly in his own head with his shot. Hope he figures that out soon, it is needed.

i think Andre doesn’t play sometimes because he gets mixed up on switches a lot and ends up out of place. I still think it’s worth it to play him though as his energy is normally really good and a willing rebounder.

39 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

I will always complain about Teddy V.  He shouldn’t be officiating.

I do think it’s funny that seemingly every fan base knows about Teddy V and his awfulness. The replies to the posts about our game from national outlets were all calling him out. Not a great reputation to have universally lol. 

13 hours ago, 49r said:

If Bryce makes that second free throw I bet we wouldn't be complaining much about TV Teddy today.

I tweeted the word "shitshow" twice before that happened. It would have come up. The fact that someone complains about the refs after almost every single game we play I would imagine might contribute to you feeling the need to downplay how egregious some of these calls were. Things got so out of hand that game that no one is even talking about how Breidenbach fouled out because he got an offensive rebound.

20 hours ago, Coaches kid said:

And yet if players would just jump stop, shot fake, Dowuona is still trying to figure out how to get the beer and popcorn off of him from the seats. I don't understand it. Lost skill. 

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Things got so out of hand that game that no one is even talking about how Breidenbach fouled out because he got an offensive rebound.

Capture.JPG

Third OT. Both teams struggling to score. We're up 4 with 2 minutes to go and this ends up as a foul on Breidenbach.  Instead of us getting the possession on an obvious jump ball call, Thomas Allen gets to shoot 2 FTs and Breidenbach is out of the game. We had opportunities to win in this period but we got hamstrung here by Teddy who made this call and then spent 3 minutes at the monitor just to bring it home.

There's a reason this guy doesn't call Big 10 games anymore.  Still counts as a loss though.