uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 8 - at NC State

uneblinstu

1 minute ago, Vinny said:

To the bold, I think he was ejected. Didn’t notice him on the bench after the scrum and definitely saw him running into it. If the announcers could maybe do their job and get that info right we might have known for sure why he was never in.

It was Lat, Andre, and Oleg who were ejected.

4 minutes ago, Vinny said:

To the bold, I think he was ejected. Didn’t notice him on the bench after the scrum and definitely saw him running into it. If the announcers could maybe do their job and get that info right we might have known for sure why he was never in.

Ya he was definitely ejected. He was first one to leave the bench lol. And I might be wrong but I don’t think he got any minutes before that ejection though.  It’s just very strange to me that we don’t play him 

10 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Why? Let’s just look at the point in the game where lat lost his shit and got ejected.

played the rest of Regulation and I believe all of the first OT without subbing. Played just breidenbach as a sub for the 2nd and 3rd OT. No Webster till the 4th OT where he hits several shots. 

played wilcher for the rest of regulation and what seemed like all 3 of those OT periods when his shot was obviously off( if you want shooting try lakes, if you want defense try Edwards ) 

let seabron take it to Bryce over and over again on the defensive end which was a clear miss match in regulation and the first couple overtime’s without trying anyone else on him.  Again try Edwards who’s 6’7 and seems fairly athletic on him or wilcher held his own vs him A few times even.  But it’s just shit coaching to expect Bryce to handle a majority of the load on offense and then to also try to stop seabron every position on defense. 

The fact the we don’t play Andre half the game just makes zero sense too. Something must be up behind closed doors. It should be like a 22/18 minute split between him and walker at the 5 because like always we are gonna get our shit rocked in the Big Ten with just walker at center and Andre is likely to transfer without meaningful playing time IMO.

we are in year three and yes talent level is better than it’s been in quite some time but that doesn’t matter if the coaching isn’t better than it’s been in quite some time. 

Can’t really argue with any of this…. 

6 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Can’t really argue with any of this…. 

I yelled at all 4 TVs in my house before the game was over.  The team played their asses off I thought too.  Most will probably say the refs stole the game(which verge was obviously fouled at the end of regulation and isn’t that supposed to be reviewable now?) but to me hoiberg flat out lost this game for us. 

25 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Why? Let’s just look at the point in the game where lat lost his shit and got ejected.

played the rest of Regulation and I believe all of the first OT without subbing. Played just breidenbach as a sub for the 2nd and 3rd OT. No Webster till the 4th OT where he hits several shots. 

played wilcher for the rest of regulation and what seemed like all 3 of those OT periods when his shot was obviously off( if you want shooting try lakes, if you want defense try Edwards ) 

let seabron take it to Bryce over and over again on the defensive end which was a clear miss match in regulation and the first couple overtime’s without trying anyone else on him.  Again try Edwards who’s 6’7 and seems fairly athletic on him or wilcher held his own vs him A few times even.  But it’s just shit coaching to expect Bryce to handle a majority of the load on offense and then to also try to stop seabron every position on defense. 

The fact the we don’t play Andre half the game just makes zero sense too. Something must be up behind closed doors. It should be like a 22/18 minute split between him and walker at the 5 because like always we are gonna get our shit rocked in the Big Ten with just walker at center and Andre is likely to transfer without meaningful playing time IMO.

we are in year three and yes talent level is better than it’s been in quite some time but that doesn’t matter if the coaching isn’t better than it’s been in quite some time. 

I redid my answer before you wrote all that, soory

36 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Couple of problems with what you're saying

Issue with playing Trevor lakes is you get hurt on the glass. Yes. Wilcher is a better rebounder than lakes from what I've seen. Plus, you trust your guy. If you insert Lakes, cold mind you, you're taking a massive risk

With Bryce defending Seabron, that was about all they could do. Bryce had 4 fouls most of the OTs I believe, so you could say put CJ on him, but CJ was primarily guarding a guy who he was better suited to in their stretch big. Once again, subbing in Keon cold is taking a huge risk. And his shot has been cold all year, so defenses can not respect him which in turn clogs the lane for verge driving. 

Andres hands are honestly really bad. If I remember correctly, one of the smaller non conference games he dropped about 4 passes from guards and didn't get back in. Defensively, he's there I'd say and he's a big body. But when I notice his playing time dwindle, I go back to that game as an example. There's something we're not seeing and with how often Verge likes to dump it to Walker, I think it's his hands. 

Just my 2c. Also, NC State hardly subbed in any OT and you don't expect to play 4 OTs. Ever. You want it over in 1. You typically see teams play their best players no matter what in those periods. 

I don't put this on Fred. He played his best guys all night on the road and they couldn't come away with a W off a few missed calls and our best FT shooter missing one barely in one of the OTs. Just my 2c though

Edited by thrasher31

7 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Couple of problems with what you're saying

Issue with playing Trevor lakes is you get hurt on the glass. Yes. Wilcher is a better rebounder than lakes from what I've seen. Plus, you trust your guy. If you insert Lakes, cold mind you, you're taking a massive risk

With Bryce defensive Seabron, that was about all they could do. Bryce had 4 fouls most of the OTs I believe, so you could say put CJ on him, but CJ was primarily guarding a guy who he was better suited to in their stretch big. Once again, subbing in Keon cold is taking a huge risk. And his shot has been cold all year, so defenses can not respect him which in turn clogs the lane for verge driving. 

Andres hands are honestly really bad. If I remember correctly, one of the smaller non conference games he dropped about 4 passes from guards and didn't get back in. Defensively, he's there I'd say and he's a big body. But when I notice his playing time dwindle, I go back to that game as an example. There's something we're not seeing and with how often Verge likes to dump it to Walker, I think it's his hands. 

Just my 2c. Also, NC State hardly subbed in any OT and you don't expect to play 4 OTs. Ever. You want it over in 1. You typically see teams play their best players no matter what in those periods. 

I don't put this on Fred. He played his best guys all night on the road and they couldn't come away with a W off a few missed calls and our best FT shooter missing one barely in one of the OTs. Just my 2c though

Agree with you on the lakes and rebounding part but NC st was already plus 15 for the game and wilcher only had 6 rebounds in 37 minutes anyhow.

and ya lakes and Edwards would of been cold but it’s not like wilcher wasn’t cold too lol his threes weren’t really that close to going in, he did have the nice pull up on the baseline tho.  Idk to me just not trying anything else on defense was bad coaching.  

and maybe all true about Andre but this is the part of the season where you gotta let him play through that IMO because like I said we are gonna get rocked in the big ten with only walker at center.  I’d be shocked if we are an above .500 overall record team when the big ten tournament hits and that just seems unacceptable to me

The cherry on top of this shit sandwich is when NC St. is one of the last teams in on selection Sunday and we are the first team out and the committee points back at this head to head result.  That seems like the natural evolution and most fitting conclusion of this chapter in Nebrasketball history.

12 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

and maybe all true about Andre but this is the part of the season where you gotta let him play through that IMO because like I said we are gonna get rocked in the big ten with only walker at center.  I’d be shocked if we are an above .500 overall record team when the big ten tournament hits and that just seems unacceptable to me

You're eating your cake and having it too if you're killing Hoiberg for not playing a guy tonight because it might help us in the future

5 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Agree with you on the lakes and rebounding part but NC st was already plus 15 for the game and wilcher only had 6 rebounds in 37 minutes anyhow.

and ya lakes and Edwards would of been cold but it’s not like wilcher wasn’t cold too lol his threes weren’t really that close to going in, he did have the nice pull up on the baseline tho.  Idk to me just not trying anything else on defense was bad coaching.  

By "cold" I mean not in the rhythm of the game. CJ was at least defending his man and boxing out. No guarantee either of those two do that. 

With the big ten and center issue, you'll probably see him more there. Tonight just wasn't the matchup for him. NC state plays undersized in the middle outside of Dowouna. You'll probably see more Wilhelm/Andre lineups in big ten play. They've experimented with it. If his hands don't get fixed and he continues to fumble passes, then he'll become non existent. 

Alright, I slept on this and the following topics will not be covered:

• Officiating

Up 14 with under 12 minutes to go in the 2nd half...there is no excuse for losing that game.

I have a question and really need some guidance. I'm starting to wonder if my expectation for the style of basketball we would play under this staff may have been way off. 

From my viewpoint, the offense we now run is a dribble-heavy drive and sometimes roll, sometimes kick, sometimes hope to get fouled approach. Some version of the dribble, drive, motion that Calipari uses at UK. It is all about beating your man 1 on 1 and then see what happens.

My expectation was something more free flowing, ball movement, people movement - alas, something that looked more like what that team in Omaha runs. 

Was I wrong? Did Hoiberg's philosophy change after going to the NBA? What I see now is not enjoyable for me to watch and in essence is not much different than what Miles ran, just with a few better shooters. Nebraska had their shots blocked 11 times! Blame the officiating (dammit, I did it) all you want - Nebraska could have and should have won this game, TV Teddy or not. But I really need to know if this is the intended offensively philosophy so I can prepare myself for what this will continue to look like going forward. 

7 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

The cherry on top of this shit sandwich is when NC St. is one of the last teams in on selection Sunday and we are the first team out and the committee points back at this head to head result.  That seems like the natural evolution and most fitting conclusion of this chapter in Nebrasketball history.

Trust me, this team wont be the 1st team out