uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 8 - at NC State

uneblinstu

Ugh...here are my thoughts as they happened...

• NU may have scored first, but they didn't really handle the pressure NCSU brings well early.
  • Nice to see Lat connect. If he's gonna start, he kinda needs to get going.
  • Love having Keisei and CJ on the floor together. I like it even more when Kobe and Bryce are with them. 
  • Verge is finishing pretty well today.
  • Bryce reminds me a bit of JPJ. He has a knack of getting to the rim that few in this program have been able to do over the years.
  • Keisei is going to be a legend by the time his days are done here.
  • Considering how skittish the start was, couldn't really ask for much more in the first half.

• Liked seeing Keisei start the second half.
  • They really have looked pretty sharp so far.
  • Wish they would have been able to stretch the lead a bit more with NCST going cold in the middle of the half, but a 13 point lead at the under 12 is a good spot to be!
  • Wilhelm will learn how to avoid fouls as he gets more experience.
  • Predictably, NCST comes all the way back. 
  • Pretty immature moment from Lat, though. He can't do that, especially in front of their bench.
  • Liked how NU responded after the kerfufel.
  • Loved that they went straight to Bryce for the first possession. 
  • Felt like NU was pretty scattered the last two minutes. Some not great possessions. Maybe got sped up by the emotions or something.
  • That was as good a look as Verge could have asked for at the buzzer. How the refs didn't call something there is unbelievable!

• Wilcher had a rough night.
  • I like getting Bryce the ball there. Thought he had it, just rimmed out.
  • Wilcher with a big one when it mattered, though! (before fouling out...)
  • Walker with some big time defensive plays to keep NU with the lead (about 1 min left in 3OT)
  • Brutal, brutal loss. 

What a gut punch. Lopsided officiating the whole game, culminating in the worst no call of the year at the end of regulation. Then Wilhelm getting tossed in what should have been a jump ball (followed by an over the back not called on the other end of the floor) that stole the third OT from us. Nebraska literally won that game twice, both in regulation and triple OT. And yet it goes down in the loss ledger because of the officials. NC State did not win. We did not lose. That was absolutely a game result that was 100% reversed by officiating 

Probably the most bizarre game I’ve ever watched. Overall I’m proud of the team and happy with the way that we played.

That being said we should have won 4 out of the 5 possible times. Being a husker fan is cruel.

TV Ted should not be allowed to ref.

In the long run this won’t be a bad loss, we just need to grow and come together after this. I don’t have expectations of being great this year, but I think we will win more games than people think. 

Edited by nuhusker7

Just now, aphilso1 said:

What a gut punch. Lopsided officiating the whole game, culminating in the worst no call of the year at the end of regulation. Then Wilhelm getting tossed in what should have been a jump ball (followed by an over the back not called on the other end of the floor) that stole the third OT from us. Nebraska literally won that game twice, both in regulation and triple OT. And yet it goes down in the loss ledger because of the officials. NC State did not win. We did not lose. That was absolutely a game result that was 100% reversed by officiating 

This game reminded me of an away concacaf qualifier 

Lat is such a huge liability to the team, and I truly want him to succeed as a Husker and make us all eat our words, but man...it's undeniable that he almost certainly cost us this game.

Also, here's a thought to keep in mind.  Nebraska plays 23 more regular season games.  6 of those games are against teams ranked below NC State in the KenPom rankings.  17 are against teams ranked higher...and only 1 is against a team ranked below us.

I’m still dumbfounded at what just happened. We had our fair share of chances but the reffing was as bad as it gets. 

Let’s start with 1. No call on Verge, that’s a call every time. 2. Foul on Breidenbach for over the back when it was a clear tie up. We were up 4 at that point with the arrow going our way. 3. The out of bounds call on Walker. Mind you, the original call was Nebraska ball. There was no evidence to overturn the call. In fact it was clear as day it was off NC St

1 minute ago, LK1 said:

I’m not an excuse guy, but if I’m Fred I tell the kids to consider it a win. 

We were legitimately cheated.  

The team is getting better.  

OMG, we blew a 14 point lead with completely undisciplined play, and we’ll just tell the boys we won.   Yeah, that will help.  

NC State was called for a foul with 12:24 left in regulation while trailing by 13. Not counting the technicals, they were called for 1 foul in the next 19:40 of regulation and OTs. Somehow, they managed not to commit fouls while having to scramble to get back in the game and while trailing for the majority of the 19:40.

NU was called for 13 fouls over the same 19:40.

2 minutes ago, throwback said:

NC State was called for a foul with 12:24 left in regulation while trailing by 13. Not counting the technicals, they were called for 1 foul in the next 19:40 of regulation and OTs. Somehow, they managed not to commit fouls while having to scramble to get back in the game and while trailing for the majority of the 19:40.

THAT IS NOT RIGHT 

1 minute ago, throwback said:

I was just researching that, and was going to make a comment on that.

Holy crap what a basketball game. I missed most of this one to sleep... I'll let the poor souls who watched three hours only to get Ted valentined take this one away. Really disappointing but proud.

Holy shit Bryce verge and tominaga (at this point so far in year) are scoring BEASTS. Lotta fun to watch. I'm not concerned for our future with these guys. Love this team. Work to do but I'm confident.