uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 8 - at NC State

uneblinstu

7 minutes ago, HB said:

OMG, we blew a 14 point lead with completely undisciplined play, and we’ll just tell the boys we won.   Yeah, that will help.  

From the 12min to 7min mark, our lead should have gone from 14 to 20, but there were egregiously bad calls that kept NC State in it and let them crawl back. Go rewatch it. 

1 minute ago, basketballjones said:

From the 12min to 7min mark, our lead should have gone from 14 to 20, but there were egregiously bad calls that kept NC State in it and let them crawl back. Go rewatch it. 

Don’t need to.  I saw many of our own mistakes, which are embedded in our culture.   We can keep blaming refs, or we can be better coached.  

5 minutes ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

Holy crap what a basketball game. I missed most of this one to sleep... I'll let the poor souls who watched three hours only to get Ted valentined take this one away. Really disappointing but proud.

Holy shit Bryce verge and tominaga (at this point so far in year) are scoring BEASTS. Lotta fun to watch. I'm not concerned for our future with these guys. Love this team. Work to do but I'm confident.

Dude. We will only have 1 of those 3 players after this year…

Edited by ConkintheCorner

31 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I’m still dumbfounded at what just happened. We had our fair share of chances but the reffing was as bad as it gets. 

Let’s start with 1. No call on Verge, that’s a call every time. 2. Foul on Breidenbach for over the back when it was a clear tie up. We were up 4 at that point with the arrow going our way. 3. The out of bounds call on Walker. Mind you, the original call was Nebraska ball. There was no evidence to overturn the call. In fact it was clear as day it was off NC St

If you keep looking and keep looking, you'll eventually find non-existent evidence to screw Nebrasketball, which is, of course, your preconceived notion.  It's in the video somewhere.  Could have just as well been watching 1980's soap operas on the monitor.

It seems some have misunderstood my comment.  I'm talking about the refs, not huskerbaseball13.

Edited by NUtball

I know so many fan bases over decades have gathered in anger to maybe try to do this, but isn't it worth trying to gather public cross fanbase support for something like a protest or signing a petition to the ncaa or referee authority to get Teddy cut out and banned from refereeing a basketball game ever again?? 

There are a handful of these worst offender referees who probably have seniority and a union to keep them working, but it's absolutely obscene and deplorable that guys like this get protection, it should be like other jobs where if you suck at your job, you get fired.

They probably top the list of strongest unions in the nation along with cops, which this reminded me of. But I won't go down that road. It's gross and messed up.

Edited by HolyBobpilgrimage

Tons of positives tonight with a few negatives. 

-Lat is GOING THROUGH IT. Noticed it last game. Had some shots fall, but when things don't go his way, he gets emotional. Noticed it a few times this year and last year. I think it's a double edged sword to have that kind of fire. It's good and bad. We saw the bad tonight. Is what it is, move on.

-Wilcher had a rough shooting game. He's been the most consistent shooter to date, he was bound for a bad shooting game. 

-keisei found his shot. Missed a bunny that could've been huge in one of the million OTs. But he found it.

-Verge, Bryce, and Walker all had solid games I thought. 

If they play like this every game, they'll hang. ESPECIALLY after adding Trey. Have a huge opportunity coming up with IU and UM. Michigan hasn't looked great to start the year, so we have a chance there. Indiana will be extremely tough. If they find a way to control TJD, they may have a chance

6 minutes ago, NUtball said:

Ted Valentine needs to be forcibly retired.  That fucking asshat just won N.C. State's 6th Man of the Year award with his performance tonight.

6th man? Teddy was their Michael Jordan tonight. Seaborn was Pippen. 

Postgame Notes from UNL
*-Tonight was the second 4OT game in program history and the first since Dec. 22, 1979. vs. UAB
*-Nebraska had a pair of players go over 20 points for the third time this season (Verge-25 and McGowens-24)
*-Nebraska had two players with double-doubles (Verge and Walker). The first time that has occurred since last Dec. 17, 2020 vs. Doane.
*-It was Verge’s third double-double of the season and the first career for Walker
*-McGowens put up his fourth 20-point game of the season, which is fourth all-time among NU freshma
*-Derrick Walker posted his first career double-double with 12 points and a career high 10 rebounds. His previous high was nine against Minnesota last season. Walker also tied his career high with three blocked shots.
*-Derrick Walker went 5-8 from the field and is now 30-of-35 from the field in his last five games
*-Keisei Tominaga has reached double figures in four of his last five games following his 16 point effort tonight
*-Nebraska falls to 5-6 all-time in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge

30 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I’m still dumbfounded at what just happened. We had our fair share of chances but the reffing was as bad as it gets. 

Let’s start with 1. No call on Verge, that’s a call every time. 2. Foul on Breidenbach for over the back when it was a clear tie up. We were up 4 at that point with the arrow going our way. 3. The out of bounds call on Walker. Mind you, the original call was Nebraska ball. There was no evidence to overturn the call. In fact it was clear as day it was off NC St

Don't forget the double dribble.  The NC State player dribbles, picks up the ball and dribbles it, again.  I believe it led to their game winning basket.  

Ok... the refs were awful.  Absolutely awful.

However, I know things happen super fast in real time.  I think it’s time to allow reviews for clear and obvious fouls that aren’t called at the end of games.  The games only getting faster.

What’s called a foul with 14 minutes left has to be a foul with 0 seconds left.

1 minute ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Too early🤨

Why? Let’s just look at the point in the game where lat lost his shit and got ejected.

played the rest of Regulation and I believe all of the first OT without subbing. Played just breidenbach as a sub for the 2nd and 3rd OT. No Webster till the 4th OT where he hits several shots. 

played wilcher for the rest of regulation and what seemed like all 3 of those OT periods when his shot was obviously off( if you want shooting try lakes, if you want defense try Edwards ) 

let seabron take it to Bryce over and over again on the defensive end which was a clear miss match in regulation and the first couple overtime’s without trying anyone else on him.  Again try Edwards who’s 6’7 and seems fairly athletic on him or wilcher held his own vs him A few times even.  But it’s just shit coaching to expect Bryce to handle a majority of the load on offense and then to also try to stop seabron every position on defense. 

The fact the we don’t play Andre half the game just makes zero sense too. Something must be up behind closed doors. It should be like a 22/18 minute split between him and walker at the 5 because like always we are gonna get our shit rocked in the Big Ten with just walker at center and Andre is likely to transfer without meaningful playing time IMO.

we are in year three and yes talent level is better than it’s been in quite some time but that doesn’t matter if the coaching isn’t better than it’s been in quite some time. 

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Ok... the refs were awful.  Absolutely awful.

However, I know things happen super fast in real time.  I think it’s time to allow reviews for clear and obvious fouls that aren’t called at the end of games.  The games only getting faster.

What’s called a foul with 14 minutes left has to be a foul with 0 seconds left.

The sad part is Bryce gets called for a less obvious foul with 7.2 seconds left to give NC State a chance to win.

1 minute ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Why? Let’s just look at the point in the game where lat lost his shit and got ejected.

played the rest of Regulation and I believe all of the first OT without subbing. Played just breidenbach as a sub for the 2nd and 3rd OT. No Webster till the 4th OT where he hits several shots. 

played wilcher for the rest of regulation and what seemed like all 3 of those OT periods when his shot was obviously off( if you want shooting try lakes, if you want defense try Edwards ) 

let seabron take it to Bryce over and over again on the defensive end which was a clear miss match in regulation and the first couple overtime’s without trying anyone else on him.  Again try Edwards who’s 6’7 and seems fairly athletic on him or wilcher held his own vs him A few times even.  But it’s just shit coaching to expect Bryce to handle a majority of the load on offense and then to also try to stop seabron every position on defense. 

The fact the we don’t play Andre half the game just makes zero sense too. Something must be up behind closed doors. It should be like a 22/18 minute split between him and walker at the 5 because like always we are gonna get our shit rocked in the Big Ten with just walker at center and Andre is likely to transfer without meaningful playing time IMO.

we are in year three and yes talent level is better than it’s been in quite some time but that doesn’t matter if the coaching isn’t better than it’s been in quite some time. 

To the bold, I think he was ejected. Didn’t notice him on the bench after the scrum and definitely saw him running into it. If the announcers could maybe do their job and get that info right we might have known for sure why he was never in.

3 minutes ago, Vinny said:

To the bold, I think he was ejected. Didn’t notice him on the bench after the scrum and definitely saw him running into it. If the announcers could maybe do their job and get that info right we might have known for sure why he was never in.

I think That’s why he said half the game I believe. No reason he shouldn’t of played in 1st half