WAKE FOREST GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

That may have been one of Amy's best games she's ever coached at NU.  Best play by any NU women's teams in years.

Simply outstanding play by the whole team. Excellent in all phases. 

Wake Forrest looked like they knew they had no chance... at the half, and couldn't compete with NU, and were being denominated.

Beat a undefeated team by 26..that just got votes for Top 25 ratings

Good game for the Huskers.

I don't know if it was Nebraska's doing or if it was just a bad outing or a combination of both, but I have no idea how Wake Forest was undefeated going into this game.  They were downright atrocious.  I hate to discount the game Nebraska played, but Wake Forest was one of the worst teams I've seen in a long time.

https://huskers.com/news/2021/12/1/womens-basketball-huskers-at-wake-forest.aspx

Road Run: Huskers Power Past Deacons

In a battle of unbeatens, Nebraska dominated from start to finish and continued to surge down the stretch in an 86-60 win over 2021 NCAA Tournament qualifier Wake Forest in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.

With the victory, Nebraska improved to 8-0 for the first time since 2009-10. Wake Forest, who entered the game as one of 23 undefeated teams in the nation, slipped to 7-1. The Huskers have produced their first eight-game winning streak since reeling off 10 straight wins from Jan. 20 to Feb. 28, 2013.

The Demon Deacons, who entered the contest as one of the nation's best defensive teams allowing just 49 points and three three-pointers per game, watched Nebraska put up 86 points while burying 10 three-pointers. The Huskers won every quarter by at least two possessions despite early foul trouble on starters Sam Haiby, Ashley Scoggin and Bella Cravens.

Edited by Red Don

42 minutes ago, NUtball said:

Good game for the Huskers.

I don't know if it was Nebraska's doing or if it was just a bad outing or a combination of both, but I have no idea how Wake Forest was undefeated going into this game.  They were downright atrocious.  I hate to discount the game Nebraska played, but Wake Forest was one of the worst teams I've seen in a long time.

I didnt wanna be the one to say it but Wake looked horrible. So slow and just terrible shooters, looking at their schedule it looks like most teams would be undefeated with that. I'm guessing at the end of the year theyll be towards bottom of the ACC.

Edited by Husker22

It seems we have some fans that are hard to please.  If we play great defense and make our competition look bad with a big win then it's just a crappy  team that we beat.  Over time I believe this team will continue to prove itself.  We are a young team and have continued to improve each game.  We should be able to compete with the top four teams in our league. Not long ago that seemed a dream.  I have been following WBB since it started and have never enjoyed watching a team more then this one.  In this day and age it's rare to have a team that cares for each other as much as this year's group.  Thanks to our coaching staff for getting us to this point.  

What a fun team to watch. Just exciting. Maybe the most fun team I can remember watching in some time. This is the kind of ball you want to watch. Where if you mention one or two players names you missed out on giving some shine to five or six others. Love it.

Wonderful discussion by Matt with MiCole Cayton after the game on the radio broadcast.

I to am thinking this may be a real good team.  Someone always steps up when the team needs a boost.  Alexis over the weekend, Mi'cole last night,  Miss Scoggins a couple of times and oh goodness let's not forget Jaz.  That tells me they play for each other and picks each other up.  They have every tool ( rebounders, drivers, dishes, shooters and unlike past years good defenders that seemingly figuring out the difference between individual and team defense.  Getting the right combinations on the court is still a bit of a work in progress, but that seems to be starting to smooth out.  The Minny game should tell us quite a bit.  Outside the opener misstep, they've played solid ball after Minny we have a couple more games to smooth things out further before the conference grind happens.

Amy talked about rebounding needing to change for her team. But what she really needed was a point guard. Jaz and Allison have provided a key missing piece to her puzzle. We now have Scoggin in her natural role of the spot up shooter. We also have a deep bench. We can get in some foul trouble and we can ride it out. I agree we should be receiving votes as a top 25 team. Need a win at MN and a strong finish of the non-con and the top 25 ranking should come. 

like i mentioned before, watched a WF game a week (or two---time goes fast) they looked pretty good. played good d and shot the ball pretty well. spears was a beast. anyway, huskers sure brought WF back down to earth. just a great, great team effort. 

anyone else watch the Minny/North Carolina game? i watched the first half and crashed after that. NC held a 6 to double digit point lead most of the time i watched. 

Sissoko looked very good underneath and can run the floor very well. Scalia is a good ball handler and can shoot long-range or drive around you. Powell can be very good---she does have a bit of a problem of getting out of control/inconsistency, but, she is quick and can get to the basket. most husker fans know hubbard can drain the 3's. 

THIS game at Williams will be a tough one. LOVE to get this "W" but i guarantee it won't be easy. i can see this game being one of "runs" by both teams. hopefully huskers come out on top in the end. 

I've watched the NU  women's' basketball teams for quite a while and this is one of the most exciting teams to watch.  I don't know if there will ever be a team as good as the 2009-10 team with Kelsey Griffin and Lindsey Moore and gang but these girls are a lot of fun to watch. This has got too be the deepest team with talent at every position.  There isn't much let down when anyone subs in.  It all starts with the play of Jaz Shelly.  She does it all.  I know it may be too early to praise them this much but so far they deserve it.  Hopefully everyone stays healthy and they continue to play as a team. 

I've followed the men's bb team since I was a child but last night I had a choice to either watch the women's game or the men''s and I chose the  women's.  Fortunately I was able to see the last of the men's game.  Or maybe I should say unfortunately I saw it.  I usually don't like to criticize the refs but in this game they screwed us big time.