Alexis Markowski - Freshman of the Week X8; National Freshman of the Week; Now Big Ten Freshman of the YEAR!!!

Red Don

• 2 weeks later...

Markowski Earns Fifth B1G Frosh Award

https://huskers.com/news/2022/1/31/womens-basketball-markowski-earns-fifth-b1g-frosh-award.aspx

The 6-3 forward/center out of Lincoln Pius X High School capped another strong week with a game-high 23 points to go along with seven rebounds, a career-high two assists, two steals and a blocked shot in Nebraska's 81-66 victory over Purdue on Sunday afternoon at Pinnacle Bank Arena. Markowski scored 20 points in the second half alone on 7-of-8 shooting, including a pair of three-pointers. She was a perfect 3-for-3 from long range on the day, pushing her three-point percentage to .800 (12-15) in conference play this season.

In addition to her freshman award, Markowski was also named to the Big Ten Weekly Honor Roll for the first time in her career.

Edited by Red Don

• Red Don changed the title to Alexis Markowski - (Freshman of the Week X3, X4, X5) And 'National Freshman of the Week'
3 hours ago, Red Don said:

Difference between Markowski and McGowens B1G FOTW awards is that we can start building/continue building around Markowski next year.  Can the same be said for Bryce?  I wish we could.

Edited by hskr4life

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/basketball/big-ten-freshman-of-the-year-the-case-for-alexis-markowski

"The Big Ten Network recently discussed potential FOTY honors. The leader? Shyanne Sellers of Maryland.

No offense to Sellers, but at this point in the season, it is Markowski against the field, with the field having plenty of ground to make up."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

8 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/basketball/big-ten-freshman-of-the-year-the-case-for-alexis-markowski

"The Big Ten Network recently discussed potential FOTY honors. The leader? Shyanne Sellers of Maryland.

No offense to Sellers, but at this point in the season, it is Markowski against the field, with the field having plenty of ground to make up."

Plain and simple ....maybe a bit harsh..but...

If Markowski doesn't win it....then the supposed bias (thought to exist by some),  against Nebraska in the B1G. will be proven accurate.

So that's my biased view.  :)

i was over to the Big Ten Conference sight and looking at individual stats. i'll just say this.........if Lex doesn't get Big Ten FOY, it will be highway robbery!!! i don't know how you can look at it and think Sellers could be leading (according to the Big Ten analysts). i would think Phelia or maybe even Ekh would be in front of Sellers. i'd like to know what the analysts were doing before they started that discussion! yes, my bias may be showing but it sure looks pretty obvious where it (the award) should go.

https://huskers.com/news/2022/2/21/womens-basketball-markowski-takes-seventh-b1g-award.aspx

Lincoln - Nebraska's Alexis Markowski captured her seventh Big Ten Freshman-of-the-Week honor of the season, when the conference announced its award winners on Monday afternoon.

Markowski, a 6-3 forward/center out of Lincoln Pius X High School, averaged a double-double (16.0 ppg, 10.3 rpg) to help the Huskers produce the 18th 20-win season in program history.  She opened the week with her fifth double-double of the season with 10 points and career highs of 15 rebounds and two blocked shots in Nebraska's 72-55 win over No. 5 Indiana (Feb. 14) at Pinnacle Bank Arena. The victory margin was the largest in school history for the Huskers over a top-five opponent.

4 minutes ago, HUD said:

As for co freshman of the week Ekh from Mich st.  just watched her team get beat at home by Penn St.  I watched the whole game and she isn't even close to Markowski's contributions.  Can score some but poor rebounder.  NU should be in 6th place now.

she seems to be at her best around the perimeter on offense.

just may have watched FOY earlier today: Aneesha Morrow from DePaul.

scored 41 against Creighton (believe that was 5th or 6th game scoring over 30+ pts). i thought i heard the announcer say this was her 26th double-double of the year. she is a beast-----for a post player listed at 6' 1"

the announcer stated his thoughts: she will be NFOY.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

https://huskers.com/news/2022/2/28/womens-basketball-markowski-takes-eighth-big-ten-honor.aspx

Alexis Markowski solidified her position as the top contender for Big Ten Freshman-of-the-Year honors in the final week of the regular season by capturing her eighth Big Ten Freshman-of-the-Week award, when the conference announced its weekly honors on Monday.

The 6-3 forward/center out of Lincoln Pius X High School averaged 13.5 points, 10.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.5 blocks in helping the Huskers to a pair of double-digit Big Ten victories to close the regular season. In Sunday's Big Ten regular-season home finale against Northwestern, Markowski notched her sixth double-double of the season with 16 points and a game-high 12 rebounds while matching her career best with two blocked shots. She hit 6-of-10 shots from the field, including 2-of-3 three-pointers, as the Huskers rolled to a 73-59 win over the Wildcats and tied the school record with their nation-leading 16th home victory of the year at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

• Red Don changed the title to Alexis Markowski - (Freshman of the Week X8) And 'National Freshman of the Week'

Lots  of reasons we've done so well this season. She's certainly not the only reason this team has jelled so well...Jazz, Issie,Sam,

....you can list every name on the roster.

But one key to the success has ben Alexis Markowski   Everyone here has said it too. She has just been remarkable to come in as a true freshmen, and become such a factor, week after week. She just was so focused and had a huge BBall IQ.

Congratulation Alexis (AKA Lex) !!!!!

Edited by redsteve