SAN DIEGO GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Two Observations:   (Oh Noooo :Facepalm::Facepalm::Facepalm:)

Regarding the missed bunnies, Lay-ups, and the like. I wonder if it is a little like Golf. Don't take your eye off the ball.

Short Jump Shots. They almost never go in; missed shots almost always bounce off the heel. Lesson, use the Glass ?

:Lol::Lol::Lol:

Edited by Red Don

31 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

With the game on the line, we didn't see a lot of substitutions.  No platooning tonight.

Interestingly, it seems those that played the fewest minutes made important contributions/play during the short time they were in: Whitney Brown (3min) huge timely rebound; Annika Stewart (7min) 5 points, Kendall Moriarity (4mins) & Mi'Cole Cayton (2mins)  Defense!!!

Defense Shined Tonight!!!  :Bow::Bow:

Edited by Red Don

13 hours ago, Red Don said:

Interestingly, it seems those that played the fewest minutes made important contributions/play during the short time they were in: Whitney Brown (3min) huge timely rebound; Annika Stewart (7min) 5 points, Kendall Moriarity (4mins) & Mi'Cole Cayton (2mins)  Defense!!!

Defense Shined Tonight!!!  :Bow::Bow:

Cayton had a couple turnovers in her 2 minutes. Probably didn't help her cause.  Still, love her tenacity on defense.  Stewart is playing well. That kid can shoot.  Seems fundamentally solid.  She and Markowski give Amy some depth in the trenches. Should come in handy when we start B1G play.  

2 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Cayton had a couple turnovers in her 2 minutes. Probably didn't help her cause.  Still, love her tenacity on defense.  Stewart is playing well. That kid can shoot.  Seems fundamentally solid.  She and Markowski give Amy some depth in the trenches. Should come in handy when we start B1G play.  

Tell you what, Stewart is coming around. Last year she at times was kind of lost in the fog of newness to college BBall.  But this year, especially yesterday, you could see the difference in the expression on her face. Was focused  and you could just see the determination.  Ran harder, got set in position quickly, and got involved in the fighting for every inch in the paint. Was a warrior that is still working on getting better, and better.  That mentality seems to be rubbing off on everyone....shown by some of the newbies. You guess who?

One last thing......San Diego St was the type of physical game we might not have won last couple of years. We didn't have the tenacity, that we have now. SDS tried to be the bully (like Creighton) but we fought right back, no hesitation. One of the biggest differences I see this year from Amy's previous teams.

AND...improved shooting. We're shooting better percentages by far. We're deeper with scorers (all positions) . Yesterday 4 or 5 of us scored well...hard to stop a team like that.  Try to guard one scorer and then get burnt by another Husker. A winning combination.

OK on to Wake Forrest, they're 7-0 ...will be THE test before the B1G starts. 

Edited by redsteve

54 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

Regarding the Wake Forrest game, it might take a subscription to ESPN+ to watch it.  Hope I'm wrong.  If not, I'll be listening to Matt and Jeff.  

i believe you are correct......i subscribe for the winter. 

i watched a wake forest game last week (?). announcers were from wake forest.....said this is coach's best squad since being hired. good scorers and pretty athletic. play good defense. 

I think Whoop is right; Wake Forest is likely to be our toughest test to date.  Wake Forest is 7-0 too; highest score is 94 points vs UMBC.  Toughest team likely wins, so don't count us out.

https://godeacs.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule

@12dozen  I know what you mean!    Near as I can tell, ESPN+ is a subscription service!

($6.99/moindex.phpcancel anytime - there is no free trial offer available)

(Unlikely but there may be a way to watch through the Wake Forest web-site, but it could be region specific.)

You might try this web-site:

https://theacc.com/sports/2021/11/22/WBB_RSN_NEB_WF_21.aspx

(if it does work, I think it is likely to be free, if you subscribe to one of the listed cable services)

Edited by Red Don

Well I think the Creighton, San Diego, and Drexel games were all very nice wins and good prep for conference play. Shelley and Cravens have been great, and Sam and Issy have been very good like they have always been.  I do think the statistics are a little skewed though, because Alabama A&M, Praire View, and NC Central are not just run of the mill mid majors, they are terrible mid majors at a combined 1-16 right now. While Minn is playing Oklahoma, UCONN, and Syracuse, we are playing these 3?  Nevertheless a top 5 B10 finish is definitely there for the taking, as Rutgers and Michigan State are losing games I never thought they would.   

3 hours ago, HUD said:

I like our schedule as it ramps up.  Good to have another road game before MINN especially for the newbies.  Besides Stewart (who I always liked) Markowski's I'm not backing off from anyone type of physical play will pay off in the Big Ten.

Anni is a wonderful offensive weapon, but where does she get her minutes. She is 5th in a 5 player front court rotation behind Bella, Issy, Alexis, and Kendall?  So the more minutes Anni gets, the less one or more of those 4 gets. Difficult spot.

One thing I think we will see more of is teams backing off Haiby and giving her the jump shot. She has had a rough start this year with her jump shot. She really is not looking to shoot when open. Most times drives to the basket and even then, that has been an adventure but she has gotten fouled and at around 85% is not someone to be putting on the line.