Tennessee State (1-3) vs. Nebraska (3-2) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

4 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Jimmy's basketball history lesson for the day: Tennessee State used to be called Tennessee A&I and was a powerhouse when some of the best collegiate basketball teams came from the NAIA ranks. The yearly NAIA tournament was played at the old municipal auditorium in Kansas City in those days and my dad and I attended almost every year. A&I won three consecutive years beginning in 1955 with their coach John McLendon who finished with a record of 149-20, and later became the first black professional head coach for the Cleveland Pipers and first black head coach at a mostly white university (Cleveland State). He was born in Hiawatha, Kansas-home of the oldest Halloween parade west of the Mississippi. He was a phys. ed. major at KU under James Naismith. His best player at A&I was the finest left -handed shooter I ever witnessed, Dick Barnett, who won two NBA titles while playing for the Knicks and is in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. * I got many of these facts from one of my favorite basketball books, "Big Game, Small World", by Alexander Wolff. And that's your lesson for today, kids. You may put up your notebooks and be happy we aren't playing one of McLendon's teams tonight.  

I can remember when that legendary Kearney St. team with Crale Bauer from Hildreth & Pete Anderson played for the NAIA National Title in KC…

26 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I can remember when that legendary Kearney St. team with Crale Bauer from Hildreth & Pete Anderson played for the NAIA National Title in KC…

I remember watching them on Channel 13 lose in the semis that year (1982) to Biola.  The most memorable thing about Biola was that they had a 7'7" guy on the bench - they never did show his head on TV, his shoulders were always at the top of the screen.

4 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I remember watching them on Channel 13 lose in the semis that year (1982) to Biola.  The most memorable thing about Biola was that they had a 7'7" guy on the bench - they never did show his head on TV, his shoulders were always at the top of the screen.

Yep, that dude towered over 6’ 5” Pete Anderson, but Pete was like our own Andre Smith in the paint & couldn’t be stopped…