NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Nebraska Cornhuskers (4-0, 0-0 Big Ten)
vs. NC Central Eagles (0-3, 0-0 MEAC)

Saturday, Nov. 20, 2021, Noon (CT)
Pinnacle Bank Arena - Lincoln, Nebraska
Tickets:
 Huskers.com / 800-8-BIG-RED
Live Video: B1G+ (subscription required)
Live Radio: Huskers Radio Network (11:45 a.m.)
Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln (B107.3 FM), Omaha (CD 105.9 FM), Huskers.com, Huskers App
Halftime Performance: The Amazing Sladek

On 11/20/2021 at 10:09 AM, Cazzie22 said:

Why isn’t Sam playing?

Joined late. :Redface:   I think I hear Matt say lower leg injury?   Anyway impression that it was not serious and she should be back in action soon. :wink:

Oh, BTW.   Some Final Stats:

image.png

And Jaz Shelley with Only the Fourth Triple-Double in WBB Program History!

Final Game Stats:

image.png

Edited by Red Don

113-59. Glad everybody was granted playing time.  Central was unenthused about defense and failed to get back on defense which NU exploited.  Team plays unselfish and everyone has the green light to shoot from three.  I am interested in how we perform on the road.

Scoggin is a very solid player.

We will have to rebound much better.

Jazz had a triple double.

Pretty early to know her scheme on playing time, practice's, team's, etc etc   Undoubtedly there's been discussions with the coaches, but she does want to be an olympian.

I just  hope she play a full BBall schedule.   A huge presence in the paint can be a difference maker.

23 hours ago, redsteve said:

Pretty early to know her scheme on playing time, practice's, team's, etc etc   Undoubtedly there's been discussions with the coaches, but she does want to be an olympian.

I just  hope she play a full BBall schedule.   A huge presence in the paint can be a difference maker.

from Big Red Today:

During the recruiting process, the Nebraska coaches laid out the plan for Mendelson to play both sports in college — which was a must for her to consider a school in the recruiting process. She will focus on basketball in the summer, but once volleyball season starts in August, she will join the program and remain with them until the season is over in December before switching to the hardcourt.

Not a scheme very helpful for basketball. Will miss about half the  BBall season. (and practices) But we'll take what we can get I suppose.  Will it be difficult to keep up with the basketball curve, missing so much from team operations?  

To be seen just how much she can contribute to either sport. NU Volleyball especially, as a true freshman.  Just hope she's a good as advertised...in either sport.  No 2 nationally in volleyball, and No 32 in basketball (4 star)  She could well make history ...hope so in basketball.    6-5 is gold in women's BBall

(volleyball has enough good players anyway  :)

Found some video

She's no 44, her part starts about 1:45 and later.  Size of Kate, but the moves of a very good power forward.   Wow

Edited by redsteve
add to post

i think Ware (North Dakota gal) plays both for Arizona. i've only watched her play bb.....she seems to be doing just fine. MM's true love seems to be vb, however, sure can't hurt to have a 6'5" athlete available for coach williams. guess fans are gonna find out just how well it works.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

I'm pretty sure as hard as both our coaching staffs recruited her they both feel they can make it work.  It's great the two coaches get along so well and share ideas and talent.

As for some of the comments about the NC Central game just being another scrimmage there are a lot of upsets happening in these "scrimmage games".

Last year we were begging for depth with the injuries and smaller roster.  I'm sure coach plays the ones she feels have earned it and will give us a best chance to win.

Before the season started we were praying for a great point guard that could pass the ball.  We now have at least 2.  Just look at the stats for the season or just the last game.

Between Shelly and Weidner in a total of 38 minutes played between them they had in total 22 pts, 18 reb, 18 assists, 1 t/o, and 3 blocked shots.  I don't care if we were playing "the sisters of the poor" for two new players one a transfer and the other a freshman that is outstanding. 

Edited by HUD
sp