uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 4 - vs. Idaho State

49r

@uneblinstu suggested in the essentials thread that he would need help with the postgame thread for the next few games so I thought I'd go ahead and get the discussion started (even though I'm sure most folks' attention will be on the volleyball game)

But I'll put just a few thoughts down here.

- We pretty much did what we were supposed to do, which is win comfortably vs an overmatched mid-major

- You can see Verge has flashes of doing the right thing, but at times he gets frustrated and reverts back to what he's comfortable with.  I'm sure it's frustrating for both coach and Zo...

- Glad we have Kobe to come in and spell Alonzo when he starts trying to do too much instead of making the simple play

- Wilhelm is making freshman mistakes, but man he's gonna be a good one before he's done

-Kesei...love the energy he brings.  100% motor all the time

These are way too hard to do...I'm really glad we have uneb to do these 😅

3 minutes ago, bkamler said:

Much better ball sharing which translates to better shooting. 

Verge is three steps forward one step backward vs. two steps backward one step forward on sharing the ball…he is trying to be a point guard.

There is hope in Husker Land.

It seemed Hoiberg was quicker this evening to sit Verge and settle him down and then put him back in. I by no means have a trained basketball eye but even I can see when he gets frustrated and starts pressing.

Only caught the 2nd half tonight. Beautiful November night and Friday. It was nice to see families and kids out enjoying it.

Notes:

- missed a lot of his action,  but Bryce only scoring 6 isn't as big an issue as it seems. Somebody mentioned in the game thread that he might not like scoring less than 20, but it was an efficient night with 7 rebounds to lead the team (I believe ) . I think he ended 3 - for - 6 so that's 50%, nbd.

- verge making progress trying to be a point guard proper. Still has bad habits from his normal play style from Arizona, but bad habits die hard. If Fred gets the guys playing right and quick passing, we can explode on offense. I see this problem originating from our pg position as the main reason for the woes early season and two painful losses.

- good to see Andre get some time. Still don't love his effort, which might be revealing some of the reasons he's not earning favor with Fred yet. Who knows. I'm sure he'll rotate in more later on.

- everyone loves breidenbach and keisei, myself included! Lots of fun dudes in this second unit.

- saw Trevor lakes get in, he doesn't look smooth. He's a big body on the perimeter though, so I'm sure he will find some development and minor minutes this year at times.

- big fan of Keon and CJ. I like their size and shooting potential. Supposedly they can shoot? Have to overcome the husker curse of every good shooter coming here to post career low %s. Smh. I beleive,  hope we can change this curse. Idk what's going on for the last decade plus with this phenomenon.

Overall good to see a win like this,  routine. Need wins for confidence just like every young team does, and like our football team desperately does.

Goggles and Wilcher could be a core of stability to build around for Hoiberg. Key cogs for a few years. 

I liked how this team handled business tonight. They crashed the boards harder than normal. Bryce may have only scored six points, but he made a large impact on the game. 

If Verge wants a crack at the NBA, he needs to show that he can distribute. Exactly what he was brought here to do. He could still throw up 15 ppg taking what the defense gives him while dropping 6+ dimes a game. He’ll have a solid Euro-career regardless. It’s in his (and the team’s) best interest to do this. I can only imagine how difficult of time Hoiberg is having internally trying to explain this to AVJ. 

1 hour ago, throwback said:

Definite improvement in the flow on the offensive end - need to keep taking those steps against these mid-majors. Then we'll see what they've truly learned when they make the trip to NC State.

Agreed. Hoiberg must have drilled into the dudes to move the freakin' ball! I was impressed that the fellas learned a lot in a short amount of time. Hopeful that they'll eventually become an efficient, well-oiled machine.

Offense much improved for the most part. Alot more "one more" passes, seemed to be alot more hunting layups rather than 1st available jumper. Defense HAS to improve though. Wilcher and Bryce both got blown by more than one. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, can we please stop doubling on everybody that catches in the post?? They had countless good looks on our doubles whether it was kickout 3s or penetration of penetration. Double purdue? Ok. Double idaho state? No

Through four games to my blind eye it seems our offense is at its best with Webster running point and Wilcher on the floor with him. They have the best chemistry of the guard combos I’ve seen and they play the offense the way Fred wants it run. I’d rather see those two guys be our lead guards with Verge spelling them off the bench than the other way around. 

Edited by GoBigFred

7 hours ago, MichHusker said:

Offense much improved for the most part. Alot more "one more" passes, seemed to be alot more hunting layups rather than 1st available jumper. Defense HAS to improve though. Wilcher and Bryce both got blown by more than one. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, can we please stop doubling on everybody that catches in the post?? They had countless good looks on our doubles whether it was kickout 3s or penetration of penetration. Double purdue? Ok. Double idaho state? No

I know Idaho St doesn't present size but offensively they want to run through the post and we took that away from them. 

18 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Through three games to my blind eye it seems our offense is at its best with Webster running point and Wilcher on the floor with him. They have the best chemistry of the guard combos I’ve seen and they play the offense the way Fred wants it run. I’d rather see those two guys be our lead guards with Verge spelling them off the bench than the other way around. 

It looked like they have chemistry off the court as they were hamming it up to the music before the start of the second half with the rest of the bench.

To reiterate what I said earlier, and I just found this. Webster and Wilcher were both +24 last night and I know they played together most of the night. Breidenbach was +19 and Bryce was +16. Small sample size but given last night and the last 8 minutes of the first half of the creighton game (when Kobe, CJ and Wilhelm were on the floor) I truly believe our best 5 includes those 3 (if Wilhelm can just avoid foul trouble). Pair that three with Walker and Bryce and bring Verge and Lat and Keisei off the bench. That’s what I would like to see Fred try.

1 minute ago, GoBigFred said:

To reiterate what I said earlier, and I just found this. Webster and Wilcher were both +24 last night and I know they played together most of the night. Breidenbach was +19 and Bryce was +16. Small sample size but given last night and the last 8 minutes of the first half of the creighton game (when Kobe, CJ and Wilhelm were on the floor) I truly believe our best 5 includes those 3 (if Wilhelm can just avoid foul trouble). Pair that three with Walker and Bryce and bring Verge and Lat and Keisei off the bench. That’s what I would like to see Fred try.

That would be my preferred starting 5 also. Those shooters would open things up more for Bryce. We'd give up some perimeter defense for sure, but all those guys play better defensively when the offense is flowing. I think it's very important we establish rhythm and pace early in the game, and the group of Webster, Wilcher, Bryce and Wilhelm had things flowing more than any other group yet this season.