Hoiberg's Offense Needs A Distributor at PG, Not A Dribbler

I may get some flack for this, but this team needs a "ball connector". Or in other words a guy who keeps the offense moving. Last year Banton did that a bit but Thor was really good at that over the past two years. Trey was kind of filling that role there, but now I have no idea who will. 

I'd personally insert Wilhelm into the starting lineup to do that. Not because he's a better player than Lat (you can argue it, but I'll opt for the experienced guy) but he is looking to move the ball based on what I see. 

Walker acting at the high post is something else they need to incorporate a lot more. Got Bryce two easy buckets last night and Walker did well at that last year. 

Its early but Im starting do doubt this experience.  I have no motivation to go to any more games.  I feel like this staff just star gazes and take highly rated players hoping they will work so he can turn this rather then taking players that fit the system.  Matt A says it was a no brainer to take Verge after Banton left.  Why?  Why take a player, although talented, that isnt a pg or a fit for this system?  You telling me there was no true pg available in the portal to take that would have been a better fit over talent.  In a sense I feel this is year 1 after last year and what he had to do his first year.  I also feel like that as an established coach he should be further along.  

1 hour ago, busticket said:

I am starting to wonder if Fred is suffering from Royce White syndrome.  As in, he believes he can take an immensely talented headcase, get them to buy into the system, and they become a force leading your team to great heights because he did it before.  

Did Royce White play for him a Iowa St?  I havent heard that...

4 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Ball movement is a team concept not a one individual need. Lat dribbles too much, Bryce dribbles too much, CJ dribbles too much, Trey would dribble too much. Almost none of them routinely catch the ball and immediately swing it. 

Exactly.  Watching the Creighton-Nebraska game, I counted 9 passes in the first possession by Creighton without a shot going up because Nebraska deflected the final pass.  I swear Fred said something about wanting a player to have the ball less than a second before passing or making a move.

41 minutes ago, busticket said:

Exactly.  Watching the Creighton-Nebraska game, I counted 9 passes in the first possession by Creighton without a shot going up because Nebraska deflected the final pass.  I swear Fred said something about wanting a player to have the ball less than a second before passing or making a move.

I've always called it ".5"

So, let's say the ball is on the right wing, below the free throw line or level with the block. Any pass that goes left is a "negative" pass. As in, it's going away from the hoop. We would yell that we want the ball in out of hands for ".5 seconds," on all negative passes and get it reversed to the other side. So we constantly talked about reversing negative passes as soon as possible. When you make it routine, it gets the ball out of the hands of selfish people quickly and to the other side of the court. 

Of course, some teams are "hand in the passing lane," or, "denial," defenses. So you have to be careful of swinging it through the top of the key without looking. So we would then work on immediate actions or ball fakes on all negative passes. The ".5" rules still applies - as you're catching it, you have .5 seconds to swing it, pass fake it, enter into the post, or drive. Either way ball has to move away from where it came from. 

6 hours ago, busticket said:

I am starting to wonder if Fred is suffering from Royce White syndrome.  As in, he believes he can take an immensely talented headcase, get them to buy into the system, and they become a force leading your team to great heights because he did it before.  

Some of it might be that we're running all these guys out there after a few months instead of having to sit for an entire year. 

4 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Ball movement is a team concept not a one individual need. Lat dribbles too much, Bryce dribbles too much, CJ dribbles too much, Trey would dribble too much. Almost none of them routinely catch the ball and immediately swing it. 

Lat's number of dribbles is limited due to the fact that every third dribble is a turnover.

25 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Lat's number of dribbles is limited due to the fact that every third dribble is a turnover.

Every time he takes off I audibly hear in my head Tom Cruise from Top Gun saying 'Too close for missiles Goose, switching to guns' and then thinking he should stick with the missiles

6 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I've always called it ".5"

So, let's say the ball is on the right wing, below the free throw line or level with the block. Any pass that goes left is a "negative" pass. As in, it's going away from the hoop. We would yell that we want the ball in out of hands for ".5 seconds," on all negative passes and get it reversed to the other side. So we constantly talked about reversing negative passes as soon as possible. When you make it routine, it gets the ball out of the hands of selfish people quickly and to the other side of the court. 

Of course, some teams are "hand in the passing lane," or, "denial," defenses. So you have to be careful of swinging it through the top of the key without looking. So we would then work on immediate actions or ball fakes on all negative passes. The ".5" rules still applies - as you're catching it, you have .5 seconds to swing it, pass fake it, enter into the post, or drive. Either way ball has to move away from where it came from. 

One of the guys that does this already is Breidenbach. He looks to swing the ball quickly.