Investment

One of the great things about moving out of state — no more Jaysker coworkers busting my balls the day after the annual thrashing. And my investment in this misery is obviously much lower, since it’s simply the cost of a beer for each half of the game while it’s on TV. I feel for you and everyone else who has to hear the taunting tomorrow in Omaha. 🙁

Yeah, I deserve it though, I make all the Husker fans dress in red and all the bluejay fans dress in blue. Then we gather for a group picture and tweet it at the respective athletic department accounts. One year Tom Shatel retweeted it and said “this is why this game really matters…the workplace banter”

The bluejay alums are mostly respectful to me- i make sure to talk plenty before the game. 

4 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Hey guys. Sorry for my vent. Lifelong diehard here. My family purchased season tickets when I was in 8th grade- back in 1990. (I know, I’m old)

Lol...1990?  Your are still young! My family purchased our tickets in 1977...and I know there are a number on here that have had tix before that. We used to travel to KC every year when I was little for the Big 8 tournament. I remember one time where a guy and his friends were locked out of their box seats at Kemper so I had to help him by climbing between the ceiling and the plexiglass to get into the room to let him in.  Lol they kept me fed the rest of the day. 

One thing that kept me excited to watch the games through all those losing seasons was when we had a group of underclassmen look the part, seeing them progress and projecting how our team would look in the future. Like when Muhleisen was a stud freshman and Turek and Simms also looked promising, then Wilkinson coming on board the next year. Or when Maric and McCray were freshmen. Or when Bear Jones, Standhardinger and Jorge Brian Diaz were freshmen. Right now, we’ve got 5 freshman (yeah, 3 are covid freshman) and a sophomore who all still look promising to me. Odds are some of them won’t be here next year. But it looks like a group of guys that can lay the foundation and we can build around them going forward.

8 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Hey guys. Sorry for my vent. Lifelong diehard here. My family purchased season tickets when I was in 8th grade- back in 1990. (I know, I’m old) 

Experienced the highs of Nee’s teams to being a proud member of the “6500” barflencht coined us during the Collier years, to attending Doc’s basketball 101 events, to befriending players on Coach Miles teams. Thought Fred was an absolute home run “I can’t believe we got him” hire. I work with about 50% bluejay alums. I bet them donuts for the office every year. I’ll be waking up early tomorrow to buy 7 dozen and get crap thrown- and deservedly so. I drive from Omaha to each home game. Leave work early to make the 6pm games. Even took a half day of PTO today to “prepare” for the CU game. I just told my son I have no motivation to leave work Friday and go watch the team against Idaho State. I’ll go to the Sunday game, but this is just painful to watch. It’s like they’re not even being coached. I drive thousands of miles (I calculated and it’s kind of sobering) every season to pay my $5 to park so I can make the trek over the bridge while I can’t feel my face in January and hope it doesn’t start to be white out conditions for the drive home so I can see my daughter and wife again and don’t slide into the ditch so I could see Verge go 4-23. And do it again and again. I buy into the hype as much as anyone. Tominaga is close to Curry. Lat made 88 out of 100 threes. Keon would start at most schools- so would Wilcher, Wilhelm has grown to 6-10, up from 6-9, Bryce is already a lottery pick….I must love punishment. Actually, most of us longtime season ticket holders and diehards must. I have balls of steel from them being kicked so many times. When I think about all of the money I throw out the window on tickets, gas, mileage, my time, etc, etc…it’s probably not a great investment. But I’ll keep coming back. I’ll keep clinging on hope that we get it figured out. That Verge will settle in and become a distributor. The Tominaga hones in his bombs. That Walker remembers he had to sit out games and to play like he did when he first was eligible. That K-Web will lead us now to some wins.  That is all. I’m down. I’m spending 80+ bucks on donuts to feed my overweight bluejay coworkers tomorrow morning. This is my 7th year I’ve lost the bet, out of 8 years there. No worries, I now budget for it….

Call me fair weather but that’s where I’m at…I won’t attend another football/basketball game with the current conditions of the programs. Arguably the worst football/basketball P5 combo in the nation. 

At this point I’d much rather just watch from the friendly confines of my basement. We really don’t have much of a voice…the only voice we do have as fans is an empty arena/stadium. 

I used to give people crap for leaving games early.

I left a couple of football games at halftime during the Callahan era because I just couldn't stand to see us throttled on our home field by teams we used to boat race.

When we got down by 15 in the first half last night, I almost walked out.

If bad basketball is on the floor, I'm not going to object to people leaving early anymore.

18 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I used to give people crap for leaving games early.

I left a couple of football games at halftime during the Callahan era because I just couldn't stand to see us throttled on our home field by teams we used to boat race.

When we got down by 15 in the first half last night, I almost walked out.

If bad basketball is on the floor, I'm not going to object to people leaving early anymore.

haha now I don't feel so bad for leaving with about 15 seconds on the clock. 

3 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I personally feel you should share your story/comments with people in the athletic department and bball program. 

The, "they don't look like they're coached," comment is the most prevalent thing I am seeing all over Husker-land today. And I think it is very accurate. 

100 percent agree. It’s amazing how the narrative around Fred is that he and mostly Matt A can get them here, but he can’t X’s and O’s them to beat the W. Illinois’ of the world. Also, should be noted, I sit in row 1 of the 200 level. My son and I were the only two taken. 8 others were empty…

First game that I ever attended was a game at Devaney against Oklahoma and Billy Tubbs. I'll never forget the highs watching those teams. And yes I picked Nebraska to win the national title the year they got beat by Xavier in the NCAA. There seems to be no end to the pain. I tried to tune sports radio out during basketball season and I added the football season the past several years too. But I got sucked back in by the hope only to have my balloon popped again. At least it happened earlier this year so I don't need to waste any of the holidays following this team.

8 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

100 percent agree. It’s amazing how the narrative around Fred is that he and mostly Matt A can get them here, but he can’t X’s and O’s them to beat the W. Illinois’ of the world. Also, should be noted, I sit in row 1 of the 200 level. My son and I were the only two taken. 8 others were empty…

Its star gazing.  They get these highly rated recruits in hope they will work but either dont fit the system or the system isnt adjusted to fit them.

Ran into Steve Sipple at a hotel in Kearney.  Had a brief discussion with him as he was in the middle of three things.  He feels that things are going to turn around sooner rather than later. I think he has more faith in the Basketball program than the football program. Personally, I look at the Creighton game as setting the trajectory for the rest of the season.  Not looking good.