uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 3 - vs. Creighton

uneblinstu

29 minutes ago, busticket said:

I am in between on this one.  While I believe a lot of our guys would perform better in Mac’s system, I don’t know what he could do with the void at PG.  when is the last time Creighton had a below average PG?  

Probably Davion Mintz.  But that was a bridge between Watson and Zegarowski

A more relevant question is what type of PG will work for what Hoiberg wants to run? Next year is Romel Lloyd the type of guy that fits what we want to do or is he the type of guy we could see fitting into what we want to do? Seems pretty important as next year's PGs currently are Lloyd and McPherson.

Much like on the football side, I don't think the scheme is the issue. I've seen Fred, while at NU, draw up plays that get open looks at the rim and from 3 with regularity. I just don't think he's gotten the pieces that can execute that scheme the way he wants yet. But that's part of the job, too. Gotta find those pieces. I think some of them are here, but need the right straw to stir that drink. 

15 hours ago, Nebrasketballin said:

Breidenbach - Not ready to play major college basketball. I know he’s a fan favorite, but big homie has cinderblock feet. He’ll be a solid upperclassman if he sticks around. 

He's a good recruit for us if for no other reason we have a guy on the roster for the next four years who isn't a front runner.  For the last two plus years we've been throwing plenty of guys on the court who just throw their hands up anytime things don't go their way.

Verge...does he make it past Christmas...I'll hang up and listen.

Biggs, Mack, Allen, all jucos...have not worked out. He went Juco before ASU, and it has me a bit concerned. I hope I'm wrong about Verge. He could be the guy who rights the ship or burns it down.

May or may not have made a bet with some friends on an over/under of 1.5 games served via suspension for Mr. Verge this year to match his JUCO counterparts of years past

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Probably Davion Mintz.  But that was a bridge between Watson and Zegarowski

A more relevant question is what type of PG will work for what Hoiberg wants to run? Next year is Romel Lloyd the type of guy that fits what we want to do or is he the type of guy we could see fitting into what we want to do? Seems pretty important as next year's PGs currently are Lloyd and McPherson.

Next year's PG situation is what I'm monitoring closely. I have to imagine they take a transfer via portal. I need to watch some of Lloyd this year as the lead guard at Sierra canyon to make an assessment if I feel good about him there. Right now, I think he's a wing who can do a bit of ball handling and run an offense. Ie not a true lead guard. I'll have to watch a bit tho, because I may be wrong 

Thank you for bringing this up though. I've been banging the table for an improved PG situation next year for a while. 

5 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Another thing that may or may not be a thing: Shoe color. Everyone on creighton's team wore something within their color scheme. NU's are all over the place. Why was Ed wearing blue shoes? Maybe it's not a big deal, but I would have liked to see a little more assertiveness there...

We showed up in white jerseys for a "red out".  Is there any way that happens during the Miles era?

We don't lose games because of the color jersey or shoes we wear; it's just one of the multitude of effects of having a program or program culture that doesn't seem to put enough value on cohesiveness 

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

We showed up in white jerseys for a "red out".  Is there any way that happens during the Miles era?

We don't lose games because of the color jersey or shoes we wear; it's just one of the multitude of effects of having a program or program culture that doesn't seem to put enough value on cohesiveness 

Missing the Marc Boehm effect

8 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Or an athletic department as a whole that doesn't put much of any value on cohesiveness. 

4 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Cohesion/Chemistry seem like antiquated notions in the era of NIL money & Social Media.

In some regards the game off the court isn't that different from the one on the court.  Good players rack up stats; Great players make their teammates better.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

In some regards the game off the court isn't that different from the one on the court.  Good players rack up stats; Great players make their teammates better.

That’s why T. Lue’s jersey is hanging in the rafters & Bo Spencer is the answer to a trivia question… 

44 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

There were a handful of players on that bench crying like little school girls after the beating they took from the mighty Huskers!

My favorite was the news article from the next day discussing how Bruce Webber was just kind of aimlessly wondering around the Hendricks (if I remember right) knowing he was probably going to be done at Illinois.  It was like a made for TV moment that was happening in real life.