uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 3 - vs. Creighton

uneblinstu

2 minutes ago, Huskerone said:

Never falling for the Husker hype machine again. Star city. Pff.  When does Husker sports get fun again?

I had a blast watching Bolt's Boys punch the #1 team in the mouth and embrace a challenge. Basketball and Football have looked nutless for a couple years now, lets see if Hoiberg's boys have some dog in them - I'm guessing no, but never know. 

18 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

We literally look like we aren’t coached. There’s zero way FH forgot how to coach (or never could). What is happening? We look like a team that the coach is afraid to hold them accountable. I don’t see, when I watch, what we drill. Offensively or defensively. What do we practice? We look like we’re plying pick up ball.

I can tell you exactly what Creighton practices and what they drill, btw.

He seems over his head.  He seems like too much of an NBA coach.  I wonder if having assistants that arent in game coaches hurts him.

Post Game Notes

Nebraska Coach Fred Hoiberg
On Trey McGowens
“Quick update on Trey. He broke his (right) foot tonight. Devastating news for the heart and soul of our team. He came down on it wrong and broke the fifth metatarsal. He will meet with our team of physicians and trainers, and we will put a time frame on the rehab and when we can expect him back. We expect him to make a full recovery and be back to normal. We don’t know the time frame of it yet. but it’s just heartbreaking for a guy that has come in here and bought into his role. He is our best leader. He uses his voice every day in practice for the warmup all the way to the end. Really tough loss and really feel for him. He will have a lot of support through this process and hopefully he will be back as soon as possible.”   

On the key to the game
“We lost that game in the first five minutes. Every day, we put the key on what the games are and the last two we have not gone out and executed. The last game was (offensive) rebounding. They got four of them in the first minute and a half. Tonight was transition and after getting off to a solid start/ I think it was 5-1 in our favor, but they got anything they wanted in transition. That is disappointing.”

On the play of the bench
“I give our bench a lot of credit for going out there and playing the right way and in climbing back into that. We had a couple chances to get over the hump to take a lead. I do not think we ever got it. We had to hit one of those shots. I think we had a couple at the rim and an open three. Maybe it is a different outcome maybe the momentum shifts to our side, but give Creighton credit. They played well. I liked their team a lot. They got shooting all across the board and great size. For us, there is going to be things we can build off of in this game. You always have to look for the positives. There is a lot of things that we need to correct.”

On what the Huskers need to improve on
“The biggest thing is we have to come out and get off to better starts. We can not continue to dig ourselves a hole like that. It takes too much energy to get yourself out.”

Senior guard Kobe Webster
On mentality of the team when down and spark to get back into it
“The key to the game was getting back in transition so the first 5-6 minutes that’s really where a lot of their buckets came from. Once we cut that off and got moving on the offensive end, the ball started popping and we were able to get easy looks.”

On individual impact on game
“I know what I’m capable of. Coach has confidence in me. He had the confidence to put me in the game so I’m not going to harp on any individual stats because the goal is to win. Like I said I know what I’m capable of and glad I could give a spark but I want to win.”

On next step to get team back on track
“Stay me. Stay energized. Stay in guys’ ear. I said this from day one. We talked about it that whether I’m on the bench or floor that I’m always going to be the loudest person. Like I said just stay me.”

On managing after an emotional loss
“We said it multiple times. We have to flush away a win and flush away a loss. We got three games in six days so we have to start preparing for that and just get back to it.”

Creighton Coach Greg McDermott
On the play of his point guards
“It’s everything. It was good to have Shereef Mitchell back. It gives us another defender and another ballhandler and obviously he has some experience. Ryan (Nembhard) is a special player. He controls the tempo of the game for us. Defensively, he does a solid job and he distributes as well. He is hard on himself with those turnovers and that’s something that he will get better at as he gets older. He is going to make me a great coach.”

On Ryan Nembhard’s performance
“That’s pretty good poise and he has to guard a good player. Verge is in every ball screen and Webster came in and he’s chasing him off-screen. He’s got to exert energy on the defensive side. It’s not like we hide him down there and save him for offense. He’s got to play both ends of the floor, and he does it extremely well.”

On if he could feel the momentum start to change
“The game was in the balance without question until the last minute or two. They went small so we went small. In some ways, that allows us to spread them out a little more. We can throw it to someone in the block and try and draw that double-team and make the extra pass. It’s a lineup that we practice a little bit and that we want to use a little bit more as time goes on. We were a little handcuffed tonight because of Arthur’s foul trouble, but he will be fresh on Friday.”

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Post Game Notes

Nebraska Coach Fred Hoiberg
On Trey McGowens
“Quick update on Trey. He broke his (right) foot tonight. Devastating news for the heart and soul of our team. He came down on it wrong and broke the fifth metatarsal. He will meet with our team of physicians and trainers, and we will put a time frame on the rehab and when we can expect him back. We expect him to make a full recovery and be back to normal. We don’t know the time frame of it yet. but it’s just heartbreaking for a guy that has come in here and bought into his role. He is our best leader. He uses his voice every day in practice for the warmup all the way to the end. Really tough loss and really feel for him. He will have a lot of support through this process and hopefully he will be back as soon as possible.”   

On the key to the game
“We lost that game in the first five minutes. Every day, we put the key on what the games are and the last two we have not gone out and executed. The last game was (offensive) rebounding. They got four of them in the first minute and a half. Tonight was transition and after getting off to a solid start/ I think it was 5-1 in our favor, but they got anything they wanted in transition. That is disappointing.”

On the play of the bench
“I give our bench a lot of credit for going out there and playing the right way and in climbing back into that. We had a couple chances to get over the hump to take a lead. I do not think we ever got it. We had to hit one of those shots. I think we had a couple at the rim and an open three. Maybe it is a different outcome maybe the momentum shifts to our side, but give Creighton credit. They played well. I liked their team a lot. They got shooting all across the board and great size. For us, there is going to be things we can build off of in this game. You always have to look for the positives. There is a lot of things that we need to correct.”

On what the Huskers need to improve on
“The biggest thing is we have to come out and get off to better starts. We can not continue to dig ourselves a hole like that. It takes too much energy to get yourself out.”

Senior guard Kobe Webster
On mentality of the team when down and spark to get back into it
“The key to the game was getting back in transition so the first 5-6 minutes that’s really where a lot of their buckets came from. Once we cut that off and got moving on the offensive end, the ball started popping and we were able to get easy looks.”

On individual impact on game
“I know what I’m capable of. Coach has confidence in me. He had the confidence to put me in the game so I’m not going to harp on any individual stats because the goal is to win. Like I said I know what I’m capable of and glad I could give a spark but I want to win.”

On next step to get team back on track
“Stay me. Stay energized. Stay in guys’ ear. I said this from day one. We talked about it that whether I’m on the bench or floor that I’m always going to be the loudest person. Like I said just stay me.”

On managing after an emotional loss
“We said it multiple times. We have to flush away a win and flush away a loss. We got three games in six days so we have to start preparing for that and just get back to it.”

Creighton Coach Greg McDermott
On the play of his point guards
“It’s everything. It was good to have Shereef Mitchell back. It gives us another defender and another ballhandler and obviously he has some experience. Ryan (Nembhard) is a special player. He controls the tempo of the game for us. Defensively, he does a solid job and he distributes as well. He is hard on himself with those turnovers and that’s something that he will get better at as he gets older. He is going to make me a great coach.”

On Ryan Nembhard’s performance
“That’s pretty good poise and he has to guard a good player. Verge is in every ball screen and Webster came in and he’s chasing him off-screen. He’s got to exert energy on the defensive side. It’s not like we hide him down there and save him for offense. He’s got to play both ends of the floor, and he does it extremely well.”

On if he could feel the momentum start to change
“The game was in the balance without question until the last minute or two. They went small so we went small. In some ways, that allows us to spread them out a little more. We can throw it to someone in the block and try and draw that double-team and make the extra pass. It’s a lineup that we practice a little bit and that we want to use a little bit more as time goes on. We were a little handcuffed tonight because of Arthur’s foul trouble, but he will be fresh on Friday.”

In simple terms... Greg owns NE and Fred is outcoached and out talented once again

21 minutes ago, brfrad said:

For the first time since Hoiberg has been here, I am confident in our free throw shooting, and saying getting to the line 9 times is not good for us.  We went the first two games, making 49 free throws, while the opponents attempted 30 free throws.  

Doc needs to go to work with Verge and Bryce.  They play way too straight up on defense.  If brfrad sees it, the coaches have to see it.  That needs to get addressed.  It was no surprise they got beat off the dribble.

The game was lost with 16 minutes to go when we are down 1, and get the ball.  We get an offensive foul on Bryce.  We let Creighton have 3 shots the next trip, finally grab a rebound, miss a shot.  We have 2 chances to take the lead, and fail.  After 3 1/2 minutes, we go down 6.  

Edwards had one of the poorest decisions I have seen, and no surprise he gets 0 minutes in the 2nd half.  We have the ball with 23 seconds left in the first half, down 3.  We have a chance to go down 1 or tied at half, and he decides to shoot a 3 with 15 seconds left.  

My starting line-up is:

Kobe

Verge

Bryce

Wilcher

Andre

Kobe needs to be our main PG and Verge needs to play off the ball.  Verge is NOT a PG.

Bryce was bound to struggle.  Needs to figure out how not to force shots.  Backdoors should have been the name of his game, all night.  

I am not given up on this team, yet.  We need to win these next 4 games by double digits.

Agree with your starters, & CJ took a couple of head scratching 3’s when we were close to taking the lead. Oh well, they’ve ONLY beat us 10 out of the last 11…

As many have already said, and as I probably said 500 times under my breath during the past 3 games, Verge is not the answer at point guard. Not even close. But simply blaming him is taking the easy way out, and I feel bad doing that.

This falls squarely on the coaches. They brought him in and handed him a job that he clearly is not ready to handle or is incapable of handling. They allow him to do the things he does on the floor that we see during games. I have to imagine they allow him to do those same things during practice, because I cannot imagine he's doing one thing in practice and flipping 180 degrees in games. And they have been unable to convince him to change what he's doing because it's better for both him and the team.

This is a coaching issue more than it is a Verge issue.

Edited by throwback

Guys I don't know anymore. I really don't. I do believe there's a good team in there. I do. 

-verge. He's a worse version of Teddy Allen in every way I could think. He can't score like Teddy and Teddy at least ran some offense.

-Bryce was smothered all night and obviously uncomfortable. Thought he did some things ok but overall wasn't there

- one thing I saw tonight that I haven't seen this year, Walker working that high post and passing out of it. They ran a ton of actions out of that last year and it worked. Really well honestly. 

-cj is a tough tough player. I would love to see more minutes moving forward with him. He isn't adept at handling the ball yet though. 

This might be the worst coached team I have ever seen. We have horrible fundamentals, zero teamwork, nobody knows their role and we run a garbage offense. That was a very average Creighton team but they coached circles around us. On top of that, Bryce and Verge’s body language on the bench when we were making our comeback in the first half was pretty poor.  Both right now care about only themselves and their stats. It’s too bad Bryce doesn’t have Trey’s mentality. 

7 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Guys I don't know anymore. I really don't. I do believe there's a good team in there. I do. 

-verge. He's a worse version of Teddy Allen in every way I could think. He can't score like Teddy and Teddy at least ran some offense.

Teddy at least had a jump shot. Well kind of a jump shot/set shot hybrid, but he could make it at a decent clip

15 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

-Bryce was smothered all night and obviously uncomfortable. Thought he did some things ok but overall wasn't there

- one thing I saw tonight that I haven't seen this year, Walker working that high post and passing out of it. They ran a ton of actions out of that last year and it worked. Really well honestly. 

-cj is a tough tough player. I would love to see more minutes moving forward with him. He isn't adept at handling the ball yet though. 

I said both of these after the 1st game.  You either need a pg to run this system or adapt to the players you have.  How they cant get a true pg in 3 years is mindblowing.  It seems more about getting high recruits instead of players that fit for what you are doing.  Honestly I dont see more then 10-12 wins out of this team.  

35 minutes ago, coughunter said:

He seems over his head.  He seems like too much of an NBA coach.  I wonder if having assistants that arent in game coaches hurts him.

the NBA didn't think he was much of an NBA coach, either. 

I was worried about Hoiberg after his fate with Chicago. But I didn't follow the NBA much at that point so was unsure how much was true or not. 

But the main accusation is that he underachieved with a fairly talented roster, and so far, I'm thinking, "hey, that sounds pretty familiar!"

This may be a guy who struck lightning at one stop, got a rep from it, and then was never able to replicate it ever again. 

It's not a new story in coaching. 

Our Bigs are 11/37 this year, 29.7% from the field... Verge is our highest volume shooter by 10+ attempts, he is 34% from the field, 14% from 3. This isn't even hard to defend  at this point, basically just don't let Bryce beat you. And how about those bigs, they can't score or rebound. 

3 minutes ago, tcp said:

the NBA didn't think he was much of an NBA coach, either. 

I was worried about Hoiberg after his fate with Chicago. But I didn't follow the NBA much at that point so was unsure how much was true or not. 

But the main accusation is that he underachieved with a fairly talented roster, and so far, I'm thinking, "hey, that sounds pretty familiar!"

This may be a guy who struck lightning at one stop, got a rep from it, and then was never able to replicate it ever again. 

It's not a new story in coaching. 

He did have injuries in Chicago which did hurt him.  I think he is a good x's and o's coach when it comes to scheme and plays but his development and finding the right players is gonna hurt him.  His in game coaching isnt much to be desired.  

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Our Bigs are 11/37 this year, 29.7% from the field... Verge is our highest volume shooter by 10+ attempts, he is 34% from the field, 14% from 3. This isn't even hard to defend  at this point, basically just don't let Bryce beat you. And how about those bigs, they can't score or rebound. 

Man, brutal.  So much for the shooters on this team.  

I don't know what to say anymore.  I really don't.  This was my first year as a season ticket holder.  I was so excited.  Willing to make an hour and a half drive one way for the games.  All of that is gone already.  I feel so defeated.  If Creighton is even slightly above average and doesn't have a huge scoring drought, this is another 15-20 point BJ win.

Even after cutting it to a one possession game, I still didn't feel "good" about where we are at.

I really hope this team doesn't mentally collapse.  It could get realllllll ugly if we do and this was a "star studded" team so to speak.

If not this year, when?  I wasn't sold on dancing, but felt that we had a punchers chance.  Now I'm just hoping for things like winning more than we have the past few years.  I just don't know what to think.

This is bigger than any one guy.  So no need to bring up individuals right now.  It's a total team collapse.  The fact that we are sitting at 1-2 after three home games... all against lesser teams... tells me what I need to know right now.

1 hour ago, throwback said:

I want to apologize to Cam Mack for anything I may have posted here about his style of play 2 years ago. I've now truly witnessed horrific point guard play.

I think the mid-December version of the 2019-20 team might beat this team by 15.

This team does not do anything well at this point, other than shoot free throws. Even most of the 3s they made tonight were not in the flow of the offense. It's not sustainable. Their defense is a complete joke. Nobody is in the right position to guard or rebound ... often because the other players are having to rotate and get out of position to make up for a particular player going rogue or for the same player just not paying attention.

Hope we can get to 8 wins this season. That's about the only unknown left to be decided.

It’s called coaching.  As in, we don’t have any.