Creighton (2-0) vs. Nebraska (1-1) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

2 hours ago, RedEyedFanatic said:

man, I don't know how many times I have thought that if someone told me 4 years ago what a bust both of those guys would have been how much I would have laughed at them....and yet, I have a hard time believing this team won't struggle to get to 10 wins right now.  So maybe 25 wins in 3 years?  No way Fred makes it through that.  Tre might be out for god knows how long on top of everything else.  Just disappointing.  Football and basketball both are making me look forward to the next thing earlier and earlier every year.  Football isn't even officially over yet and I'm already past hoops and on to checking the baseball signing class.

I wonder if Will Bolt can coach all men’s sports at UNL?

49 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

That’s because you have yet to see a real PG that operates within the system and that initiates the offense at the beginning of each possession.

So in 3 years I would have hoped we'd get a point guard that can run the head coach's alleged offensive plan.  Look at the guy McDermott found--and both coaches gushed about him in their postgame statements.

51 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

That’s because you have yet to see a real PG that operates within the system and that initiates the offense at the beginning of each possession.

Honestly, I think we had that in Cam Mack year 1 but like too many of the recruits he was a serious head case. 

Perhaps this team will gel and improve as the year goes on but I think we again severely overestimated the amount of talent on the roster. This is not a well put together team and to make matters worse. In the past, even with little offensive talent we would D up. This team can’t even defend. 

2 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Honestly, I think we had that in Cam Mack year 1 but like too many of the recruits he was a serious head case. 

Perhaps this team will gel and improve as the year goes on but I think we again severely overestimated the amount of talent on the roster. This is not a well put together team and to make matters worse. In the past, even with little offensive talent we would D up. This team can’t even defend. 

It's tough to recruit here, and I think we take too many guys who see that we're bad team and figure they can be a star playing in the Big Ten. They all say the right things when they commit ("I want to help build a winner!") but the proof is on the court.

Next August I'm going to be a pain on the board when people start with the hype about all our "talent." Talent wins games, it doesn't just make oooooooh! plays. So where's all our ****** talent?

1 hour ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Right. We don’t even need a point guard that creates for others. Just need one to make the first freaking pass to initiate the offense. We were fun to watch last year when Dalano got benched and Teddy left. Trey made the first pass and Kobe, Thor and Lat played the .5 basketball that Hoiberg wants - within half a second after catching the ball, either shoot it, pass it or make a straight line drive to the rim. Why it’s so hard for our coaches to get some players to play that way, I don’t know. 

4 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

It's tough to recruit here, and I think we take too many guys who see that we're bad team and figure they can be a star playing in the Big Ten. They all say the right things when they commit ("I want to help build a winner!") but the proof is on the court.

Next August I'm going to be a pain on the board when people start with the hype about all our "talent." Talent wins games, it doesn't just make oooooooh! plays. So where's all our ****** talent?

Why is it that hard to recruit here? I get it that our history is abysmal but do recruits really care that Nebraska has yet to win a tourney game?  

I mean in todays day and age it seems as if facilities, coaching style, NBA prospects, NIL deals etc…is more important.

All you have to do is look at the teams within the region that arguably have far less resources and yet somehow they get it done. They may not be consistent but I think all of us at this point would kill to have a few seasons like KSU/ISU have had over the last decade. Hell, look at Creighton…why in the world is it easier to recruit there?

4 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Why is it that hard to recruit here? I get it that our history is abysmal but do recruits really care that Nebraska has yet to win a tourney game?  

I mean in todays day and age it seems as if facilities, coaching style, NBA prospects, NIL deals etc…is more important.

All you have to do is look at the teams within the region that arguably have far less resources and yet somehow they get it done. They may not be consistent but I think all of us at this point would kill to have a few seasons like KSU/ISU have had over the last decade. Hell, look at Creighton…why in the world is it easier to recruit there?

It's not easier, they just pay better.

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Here's what I'd say: FIrst off, it's not a great recruiting base and second, there's no history of winning. None. In addition to  the NCAA tourney drought, we haven't shared a conference championship in over 60 years. We're the Cubs, before they actually won a Series.

So I think everybody who coaches here falls into the same trap: They try to recruit to the league and the level of play that's expected, rather than to the system they want to run. The guys we get might have a lot of stars but they also come with asterisks. This year's team has some players that could fit Fred's system, but the asterisks ....

And I've made this point a number of times on the recruiting board: Could we please have a recruiting presence in this state? We go after the top recruits and occasionally offer a marginal player when the program gets criticized for missing on a Nebraska kid (Heiman, Arop). But we don't really put the work into finding kids who could be role players and stabilize the roster. Baylor Scheierman shot 43% on 3s last year with 9 rbs a game for a SD St. team that's better than us. 6-10 Tyler Hagedorn is in the G League now shooting 3s. Plenty of other examples.

I don't claim to know which of these Nebraska players is good enough to play here, but I'm not paid $$$$$ to know. The point is that we don't put the work into finding out. Creighton whiffed on Sallis and Traudtman too, but Shereef Mitchell plays an important role for them and we didn't offer him. They were in early on Khyri Thomas and Justin Patton. Even if we were interested in them, which I'm not sure we were, we were too late.

Edited by Chuck Taylor
Grammar

14 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I love that the two highest paid, most-heralded-before-they-came coaches in NU history have somehow managed to make the programs they came into worse than they were before. 

We need to erect a Bill Moos statue so that it can be made into scraps to be sold at the university store for $9.99