Creighton (2-0) vs. Nebraska (1-1) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

1 minute ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

That would be the majority of the team. 

There are no building blocks for the future. That’s the issue. Bryce is not coming back. Hoiberg needed to get it done this year and it looks like we are well on our way to another 10-22 type year. 

that's just not true.  we have 4 good freshmen and some others who will have more eligibility

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

That would be the majority of the team. 

There are no building blocks for the future. That’s the issue. Bryce is not coming back. Hoiberg needed to get it done this year and it looks like we are well on our way to another 10-22 type year. 

the idea of constant roster churn is fine if you have a reliable plug and play system. we clearly don't. hoiberg's model requires his teams come out of the chute ready to play well for a whole season. 

I think if he wants to still coach at NU, he's going to have to show more flexibility in his approach to the sport than he has since the Bulls. This isn't working. 

Big 10 coaches are going to laugh their ass off at our "offense" when they're watching video. They won't need more than about 20 minutes to come up with a way to stop us. The script is out there on how to destroy us and every Big 10 coach will follow it to a T. 

The bet is no longer whether we are playing on Wednesday of the B1G tourney - it now is how many football players will we need to again borrow to field a team after the roster attrition by that point in the season. O/U is 1.5.

Terrible bluebird team. We are light years worse than them.

Edited by throwback

19 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I love that the two highest paid, most-heralded-before-they-came coaches in NU history have somehow managed to make the programs they came into worse than they were before. 

man, I don't know how many times I have thought that if someone told me 4 years ago what a bust both of those guys would have been how much I would have laughed at them....and yet, I have a hard time believing this team won't struggle to get to 10 wins right now.  So maybe 25 wins in 3 years?  No way Fred makes it through that.  Tre might be out for god knows how long on top of everything else.  Just disappointing.  Football and basketball both are making me look forward to the next thing earlier and earlier every year.  Football isn't even officially over yet and I'm already past hoops and on to checking the baseball signing class.

Just now, RedEyedFanatic said:

man, I don't know how many times I have thought that if someone told me 4 years ago what a bust both of those guys would have been how much I would have laughed at them....and yet, I have a hard time believing this team won't struggle to get to 10 wins right now.  So maybe 25 wins in 3 years?  No way Fred makes it through that.  Tre might be out for god knows how long on top of everything else.  Just disappointing.  Football and basketball both are making me look forward to the next thing earlier and earlier every year.  Football isn't even officially over yet and I'm already past hoops and on to checking the baseball signing class.

I seriously doubt Trev is going to fire Hoiberg after this year. I’m sure he wants nothing to do with having to hire a basketball coach at this time. 

They didn’t even fire a football coach that has had 4 bowl-less seasons. The supposed flagship program of the athletic department. 

i'm unwilling to go full on gloom and doom at the moment because it's not like we don't have talent. 

what we haven't apparently figured out is how to turn that talent into a cohesive, effective and winning basketball unit. 

and the open question is whether or not the staff we have in place has the ability to do that. 

After 3+ years, I'm not exactly comfortable still saying, ""I don't know".

1 minute ago, tcp said:

i'm unwilling to go full on gloom and doom at the moment because it's not like we don't have talent. 

what we haven't apparently figured out is how to turn that talent into a cohesive, effective and winning basketball unit. 

and the open question is whether or not the staff we have in place has the ability to do that. 

Fair enough.  Jon rothstien must have seen something right?  or was that just blowing smoke? 

29 minutes ago, tcp said:

I agree on the talent, but it doesn’t matter until they get a distribute-first PG. Until they do that, then this will be the results, regardless of the talent that is put together around them.