We Needed That

I don't know if this belongs in the post-game thread or in one of the other threads started. But I have an ego and will go this route first. 

We desperately needed that. This is how we played versus Peru State, not how we played versus Colorado. Every single player did the thing that I would consider is their worst trait as a player and as a teammate. Every single one of them. 

Selfish. Uninspired. Lazy. Woe is me. 

@NUdiehard has correctly analyzed some of the chemistry issues with this team in @Norm Peterson's "Upon Further Reflection..." post. He put it a lot more straightforward than I have previously when discussing this issue. 

But I promise you guys - the way they played against Colorado was different. And I don't think that Western Illinois is as good as Colorado (I don't know that, I'm just assuming). At a minimum they're fair, respectable opponents.

This team has everything it needs, minus some girth in the post with most line-ups, to compete at a very high level. I have not lowered my expectations for this team. Last night I just saw the worst that we can be - and I truly believe that. I saw it in the first 4 minutes. 

I trust Coach Hoiberg to right this ship. To manage the egos and build the chemistry. If he can't - I am afraid he will be on the hot seat going into next year, because this is the obvious issue with the way he has decided to build teams (transfers, one year players, high level recruits with higher aspirations). I refuse to believe he doesn't know this and doesn't have a way to address this. 

We needed that. 

The team very well may have needed what happened last night. But we won't know for sure until the season progresses and we see the positive changes that hopefully come from it. The jury is out at this point.

This loss will stick with me for a long time - the first game of the year and the "me" first mentality is what shows up almost from the opening tip? It will take a sustained level of team basketball (win or lose) for the sour taste to get washed away. The first impression is a lasting one.

44 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Selfish. Uninspired. Lazy. Woe is me. 

Nuggets Coach, Michael Malone on rebounding after a loss last year,

“Playing hard isn’t something that should be rewarded. That should be a given. Again, rebounding is effort, it’s fight, it’s competing.”

It's kind of a relief for me.  Now I can just relax and watch basketball and if we win, we win, if we lose, no big deal.  I did not watch it on TV but listened to the radio so I did not see the selfish play everyone is talking about.  Hearing this just makes it worse.  My expectations for this team are pretty much non existent now and I guess I will make them win me back.  I will still watch, but will not be bummed out after a loss.  (My dog will appreciate that) I know it is just one game but a loss at home to (no disrespect to W Illinois) a mid  major team that really did not play that well is tough to take, given the supposed talent we have.  I'm just glad they did it right away so I can move on to other things this winter.

if you talk to fans of programs that traffic in one-and-dones or high level rosters, they'll tell you this is part of the deal. 

we're just not used to it. we assume talent immediately translates to on court results and it frequently doesn't like all skill, it has to be molded into a force for success. 

we really are new to this kind of landscape; we're used to having 3 stars who know their limitations and know they have to work hard to succeed in a game where they're outgunned every other night. 

Losses like this can keep you out of the tournament.  I can't tell you how many possessions didn't even have 1 pass.  The whole game was literally Verge or Bryce going one on one.  We had not offense at all.  These 2 better learn quickly that they have teammates or it's going to be a long season again.  This team absolutely deserved to lose this game.  Just so frustrating!!!

I'm probably a minority of one...but I'm seeing posts left and right on Facebook today of the players we have recruited.  While I'm glad they are coming here, I'm looking at last night and I just can't get too excited about the recruits.  The players that took the court last night have been hyped big time since the day they signed.  Hopefully things change today and FRIDAY...but until then they don't live up to the hype...not even close.  I don't give a crap what they did in HS and Jr College.  That matters to the coaches out recruiting, but it doesn't matter to the fans in the stands if the players aren't putting in that kind of effort when they are wearing the Husker Red.   It also doesn't matter if they aren't winning.  Granted we all might have our favorite players...but we want to see the team win. A player doesn't win a game...a team does. 

4 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

It's kind of a relief for me.  Now I can just relax and watch basketball and if we win, we win, if we lose, no big deal.  I did not watch it on TV but listened to the radio so I did not see the selfish play everyone is talking about.  Hearing this just makes it worse.  My expectations for this team are pretty much non existent now and I guess I will make them win me back.  I will still watch, but will not be bummed out after a loss.  (My dog will appreciate that) I know it is just one game but a loss at home to (no disrespect to W Illinois) a mid  major team that really did not play that well is tough to take, given the supposed talent we have.  I'm just glad they did it right away so I can move on to other things this winter.

This is the approach I have been taking with sports the last handful of years.

It's much less stressful this way.