Rebounding problem

75unlgrad

With our current line-up, we have an obvious rebounding problem.  Opponents are getting too many extra possessions on offensive rebounds.  I know that Lat didn't play last night and he would have helped, but our problem still exists.

I hope Fred considers playing two 'bigs' at the same time.  When we only have Walker or Breidenbach on the floor, we get killed on the boards.  

I don't know why Andre isn't playing.  I would like to see him and Walker share the 'post' position and Mayan and Breidenbach share the power forward position.  When Walker and Mayan come out of the game and Andre and Breidenbach go in for them, we become taller (with longer arms) and should continue to hold our own on the boards.

When we aren't making our 3-point shots at a high percentage, we can't afford to give up this many rebounds.  Fred may have to adjust his style until Breidenbach grows into his post player and we recruit a true power forward that can help on the boards.

Besides the bigs,  we have people that are not blocking out.    They are standing around watching the ball.  They should be locating the nearest opponent and blocking them out!  I did see one play where they did that and the ball bounced to the floor where we easily picked it up.  Bravo!   We have to do that all the time though!

On 11/10/2021 at 9:28 AM, 75unlgrad said:

With our current line-up, we have an obvious rebounding problem.  Opponents are getting too many extra possessions on offensive rebounds.  I know that Lat didn't play last night and he would have helped, but our problem still exists.

I hope Fred considers playing two 'bigs' at the same time.  When we only have Walker or Breidenbach on the floor, we get killed on the boards.  

I don't know why Andre isn't playing.  I would like to see him and Walker share the 'post' position and Mayan and Breidenbach share the power forward position.  When Walker and Mayan come out of the game and Andre and Breidenbach go in for them, we become taller (with longer arms) and should continue to hold our own on the boards.

When we aren't making our 3-point shots at a high percentage, we can't afford to give up this many rebounds.  Fred may have to adjust his style until Breidenbach grows into his post player and we recruit a true power forward that can help on the boards.

Eduardo runs the floor really fast. He's a rim-running rim protector.

Sometime back, someone else suggested Eduardo to start as more of a traditional 5 alongside Walker as sort of your traditional 4. And then you have Breidenbach and Lat as depth for the bigs. I'd like to see what our rebounding looks like if we do that. It's a tradeoff to not have a 3-pt shooter at the stretch 4 position, but Lat is 0-4 on the season from deep, so it's not like we'd really be sacrificing much.

Probably won't happen, but it would be worth contemplating.

10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Eduardo runs the floor really fast. He's a rim-running rim protector.

Sometime back, someone else suggested Eduardo to start as more of a traditional 5 alongside Walker as sort of your traditional 4. And then you have Breidenbach and Lat as depth for the bigs. I'd like to see what our rebounding looks like if we do that. It's a tradeoff to not have a 3-pt shooter at the stretch 4 position, but Lat is 0-4 on the season from deep, so it's not like we'd really be sacrificing much.

Probably won't happen, but it would be worth contemplating.

I’d like to see Fred experiment with a LOT of different lineup combinations before we get into the meat of the B1G schedule. Wilhelm & Eduardo on the floor together, the return of Kobe & more Keon Edwards…

12 hours ago, bkamler said:

Against Colorado I saw Tominaga totally box out a CU player with his ass as I was taught and he got called for a foul.

I think I remember this too.  As someone who was always one of the shortest people on the floor, I know that that’s going to get called.  He had a hand or two in the guys chest and “looked” like he was pushing him.  I hated that call, still hate the call, but have seen it many times.

Eduardo in the rotation is probably the key here as prior we've run quite a bit of 4 guard where Bryce/Wilcher function as the 4 and neither of them are above average rebounders.  Lat not being available has also contributed to playing small.

Walker and Ed playing at the same time seems like a pigs flying scenario.  But Ed being in the rotation gives us more height and potentially more stability as that means WB will play more at the 4.  Having a combination of Lat/WB and Walker/Ed on the court most of the time might get us to look at least respectable on the boards. I have to think that Keon is on the outside looking in right now for the rotation as I just don't know where you put him.