On further reflection, in the sober light of day, that was truly awful.

Norm Peterson

16 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

In my mind the only solution is time on the bench.

I know this is a stupid idea...but I'm going to toss it out there.  At least the first few minutes of the game...let the "cleanup crew" get to start...the guys that don't get to play unless we are dominating towards the end of the game.  Let the "Stars" and the "Hero Ball" players sit there for a bit and watch the guys that want to play but aren't quite starting material. They will at least put their all into it.

Verge did not start against Peru State and I remember thinking at the time that was odd (CJ Wilcher got the start). He came off the bench and gave us a huge spark running pick & roll with Derrick. Verge started against Colorado and Western Illinois. Why didn't he start against Peru State? Was he in trouble?

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

feels like benching everyone isn't the answer to winning games

I’m just saying bring them to the bench for a bit of coaching when they’re playing outside of the system or not boxing out etc.   When you get to do that and still play 39 minutes it does make me scratch my head a bit.

4 hours ago, dustystehl said:

Verge did not start against Peru State and I remember thinking at the time that was odd (CJ Wilcher got the start). He came off the bench and gave us a huge spark running pick & roll with Derrick. Verge started against Colorado and Western Illinois. Why didn't he start against Peru State? Was he in trouble?

There wasn't any stated reason.  I suppose it could have been rewarding guys for practice but seems like the probable reason was some sort of disciplinary issue.

I know everyone's unhappy with the loss, but it seems like people are too eager to label certain players as selfish, me-first or whatever. This is the third straight year we've put together a team with a lot of roster turnover (we're 8th in returning minutes in the BIG), and it only makes sense that there would be chemistry issues at the outset.

3 hours ago, Vinny said:

I’m just saying bring them to the bench for a bit of coaching when they’re playing outside of the system or not boxing out etc.   When you get to do that and still play 39 minutes it does make me scratch my head a bit.

Doesn't it seem like the most reasonable explanation for Eduardo not being put into the game was that he was being sent a message?

Breidenbach tracked down 0 rebounds in 11 minutes at center.  He gets a free pass in all of this because he only took 3 shot attempts?

I get the thought about pulling Bryce and/or Verge but pulling them for who exactly? Who were the guys on the court that were moving on offense or blocking out that should have gotten more minutes? Having experienced guys like Mayen and Kobe certainly might have given us more latitude for making teaching moment pulls.

16 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I know everyone's unhappy with the loss, but it seems like people are too eager to label certain players as selfish, me-first or whatever. This is the third straight year we've put together a team with a lot of roster turnover (we're 8th in returning minutes in the BIG), and it only makes sense that there would be chemistry issues at the outset.

I don't know that roster turnover can be used to justify any sort of team chemistry issues we have because it is our default. If Fred can't put a functional squad out there because of roster turnover then the inevitable conclusion is he will never win here. 

25 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't know that roster turnover can be used to justify any sort of team chemistry issues we have because it is our default. If Fred can't put a functional squad out there because of roster turnover then the inevitable conclusion is he will never win here. 

Yep.  Ultimately, we have to look at the head man here.  We've lost two season openers in the last twenty years, and that's two of the three that Hoiberg has been at the helm.  As much as it pains me to say, it's looking more and more like he doesn't have what it takes.

Hoiberg and Abdelmassih can recruit like hell, that's great, but the coaching leaves much to be desired at this point.

Edited by 49r

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Doesn't it seem like the most reasonable explanation for Eduardo not being put into the game was that he was being sent a message?

Breidenbach tracked down 0 rebounds in 11 minutes at center.  He gets a free pass in all of this because he only took 3 shot attempts?

I get the thought about pulling Bryce and/or Verge but pulling them for who exactly? Who were the guys on the court that were moving on offense or blocking out that should have gotten more minutes? Having experienced guys like Mayen and Kobe certainly might have given us more latitude for making teaching moment pulls.

Pulling them for themselves. Get them to the bench where you can coach them about playing within the offense. I’m not saying bench them for the rest of the game.  Edwards can get another minute or two until the next stoppage, so can Lakes and Tominaga. Play big with Walker and Breidenbach out there for a bit against an undersized opponent. I’m saying get them some coaching on how what they’re doing isn’t working then get them back out there and hope they make the adjustments. Use your timeouts to do the same. There was definitely me ball going on and the coaches didn’t do enough in that game to try and get it back on track.

8 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

What happens if the first 6 lay ups go in in our game instead of being missed?  

Does that change how we play the game the rest of the way?

They may have been "layups" but many of the first six were forced, out of control shots as well. Many of them were not good shots.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Appreciate your thoughts, but just to add context: I'm not trying to label anyone. I wish I didn't have to. But I saw what I saw. And I haven't seen that kind of open hostility between two people since Vincent Gambini put Mona Lisa Vito on the witness stand.

Edited by Norm Peterson

27 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Appreciate your thoughts, but just to add context: I'm not trying to label anyone. I wish I didn't have to. But I saw what I saw. And I haven't seen that kind of open hostility between two people since Vincent Gambini put Mona Lisa Vito on the witness stand.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/35ba01c9-fb6a-412d-bc7d-aae8f10e6dfe

The hostility in that case could certainly be explained.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

9 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

I know he did not play Tuesday, but I cannot figure out why Kobe Webster does not play point guard. What am I missing?

Because he has more of a combo guard skill set than a point guard set.  Don't think he is athletic enough or a good enough handler to deal wit elite ball pressure.  

23 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

I know this is a stupid idea...but I'm going to toss it out there.  At least the first few minutes of the game...let the "cleanup crew" get to start...the guys that don't get to play unless we are dominating towards the end of the game.  Let the "Stars" and the "Hero Ball" players sit there for a bit and watch the guys that want to play but aren't quite starting material. They will at least put their all into it.

Respect the thinking. But it's November. Gotta let the guys jell. 

to think we've got maybe 30 of these to go still! the drama's gonna be off the charts!

i just assumed hoiberg knows his team and figured the best way to teach a point is to let them totally fail on their own. 

every team's different in personality, and maybe that's just this team's. 

he's not stupid. i do suspect there's a bit of a buy in or role issue with a couple of players who've been swearing up and down their way will work, and if you've got hard heads, sometimes the best thing to do is just watch them completely face plant. 

3 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Hopefully tonight we bury this thread and one is not seen the rest of the season. 

Agree and I have a feeling we do.  We’re too talented not to.  I’m also taking my young one to her first ever Husker event, so it’ll either be our good luck charm or she’ll learn what dad has went through for the past 20 something years.