uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 1 - Western Illinois

uneblinstu

20 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Update: the players are all posting their flashy highlights repeatedly on social media.

Haha Trey's last 13 tweets are him and Bryce highlights from last night. Really unabashed by that performance. I probably would have tried to burry that game film where no one could find it. 

2 hours ago, HB said:

That issue has been going on the past 2 years.  Part of our culture, unfortunately. 

1. Guys come here because they see there's an opportunity to play a lot, not because they want to build a winning culture. Fans eat up all of their "we can do great things here!" quotes when they commit, but it's all talk. They mostly see a chance to get on the floor.

2. It's the first game, so that can change. It didn't so much the last 2 years, but every group is different.

3. I'd expect a big bounceback Friday.

My biggest takeaway from last night: I think we have a chance to be a bubble team, and last night was a bad, bad loss. It's early for quad talk, but that probably was a Q4 loss. We're going to have to beat Auburn to get any juice out of the noncon.

Colorado needed overtime to beat Montana State last night. So maybe they're not as good as we hoped.

There are 40 minutes in a basketball game and WIU had 57 rebounds. Even 12 hours later, I'm still struggling with this.

After everything on Monday with the football program, I was really hoping last night would out a good taste in Husker fans' mouths. Instead, it feels like they just poured a bucket of gasoline on the dumpster fire that is Husker mens' athletics. (Yes, I'm aware the baseball team is good, but quite frankly, I don't care.)

I wanted to be excited about signing day today, but I just have no energy or interest for it today. That performance last night was more deflating than a 30-second fart...

24 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

The easy buckets at the rim for Verge and Walker out of our pick n roll in the two exhibition games was really what opened things up for the shooters to get going.

But it's really the other way around.  We need the shooters to get going in order to get teams to stop packing the lane.

The ball movement around the perimeter last night was not good at all.

28 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Haha Trey's last 13 tweets are him and Bryce highlights from last night. Really unabashed by that performance. I probably would have tried to burry that game film where no one could find it. 

If true (I don't doubt you at all - I just won't go look because I have muted or blocked all athletes from my timeline) and it continues, it will not bode well for the season. I can't speak for everyone but I have to believe this fan base has grown very tired. The lack of success in other men's sports will carry over to a shorter attention span than usual in basketball. There will be many that will simply tune it out completely. Gotta read the room a little better fellas.

Edited by demone

I listened to the postgame. It was short and blunt. KP asked coach “can you find any type of silver lining at all from a game like this?” And coach just responded: “No, I can’t, at all” 

Did say his guys needed to find the want to and find physicality quick if they want to be successful. Stating the obvious, but it’s 100 percent true

I think Trey needs to touch the ball a LOT more.

And guys have to do more than just stand in the corner. There were times when Verge would drive into a pile, and the guys in the corner just stood there. They didn't flash to the elbow or out to the wing or anything. Not saying Verge would have passed them the ball anyway, but it was really quite pathetic to watch.

11 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:

I’m hoping Coach Hoiberg uses this game as a teaching tool to show the team that this is what happens when you do things your way and not play as a team.  That BS is done, and now you’re going to play how I’ve coached you to play.  If not, then you won’t be playing.

I still would have liked to see Hoiberg use a timeout at any point in the second half to try and improve the situation.

12 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:

I’m hoping Coach Hoiberg uses this game as a teaching tool to show the team that this is what happens when you do things your way and not play as a team.  That BS is done, and now you’re going to play how I’ve coached you to play.  If not, then you won’t be playing.

I'm 100% with you on that...wish I could "like" your statement 100 more times.  

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Update: the players are all posting their flashy highlights repeatedly on social media. I just don't get that mentality. They should be pissed and embarrassed. I don't buy that it's just a generational thing either. There are plenty of players today who care about winning. Last night, Jaden Ivey (Purdue) had a freaking in-game windmill dunk. Then he sprinted back on defense and acted like it's just what's supposed to happen. 

Glad I don't see those posts...as I'd be more than happy to respond.  I just saw the locker room celebration  video from the other team.  Congratulated them and told them they deserved the win as they played as a team from start to finish. 

13 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

I still would have liked to see Hoiberg use a timeout at any point in the second half to try and improve the situation.

I agree 100%.  I don’t understand why he didn’t do that.  I’m hoping his intention is to prove a point the hard way.  I’d rather have the win, as I’m as pissed off as anybody else about the game last night.  My biggest concern coming into the season is whether our three biggest stars on the team could play well together (my concern based on something I saw at the open practice).  Seeing what happened last night, I’m not so sure.  Hopefully Hoiberg can get this fixed.  Thankfully there is plenty of season left to fix it.

1 hour ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

th I listened to the postgame. It was short and blunt. KP asked coach “can you find any type of silver lining at all from a game like this?” And coach just responded: “No, I can’t, at all” 

Did say his guys needed to find the want to and find physicality quick if they want to be successful. Stating the obvious, but it’s 100 percent true

It was a very short postgame.  Most of the time I leave the parking lot and with commercial breaks and such, I get my dad home before it's over.  This one, I was out of the parking lot and turning onto North 9th Street by the time it was over. practice should be interesting today. would like to be a fly on the wall. 

19 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Saw some issues with Verge that give me a great deal of concern going forward. Don't be fooled by the stat line.

Two examples:

With under a minute left and a 4 point NU lead, WIU has the ball out of bounds on the sideline and their PG goes deep into the backcourt to await the inbounds pass. Trey indicates to Verge to get out there on the guy. Verge reacts with some REALLY TERRIBLE body language towards Trey and instead gives the WIU guy PLENTY of room to catch the ball and bring it up court. Verge is then on his heels backing up as the guy steps into a 3. Just gonna let him step into a ... oh man.

Then, after Verge misses the layup on that last drive (which everyone in Pinnacle Bank Arena knew he was going to take), he pouts for a moment, and then runs directly for the tunnel and Kobe Webster has to chase him down and call him back to go through the handshake line.

I saw more issues than that throughout the game, but those were two prominent things in the last minute. That's a really bad sign. Fred better nip that in the bud quickly or we'll be lucky to surpass last season's win total.

Seems to me, being an old school ex coach, the only solution is time on the pines.  

7 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Update: the players are all posting their flashy highlights repeatedly on social media. I just don't get that mentality. They should be pissed and embarrassed. I don't buy that it's just a generational thing either. There are plenty of players today who care about winning. Last night, Jaden Ivey (Purdue) had a freaking in-game windmill dunk. Then he sprinted back on defense and acted like it's just what's supposed to happen. 

You have to play defense at Purdue or you won’t play.  Painter played for Gene Keady.

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

Let us focus on Sam Houston and ourselves.

Couldn’t agree more Cazzie. My Selection Sunday comment was tongue firmly in cheek. Now is when the hard work starts.You don’t  get out rebounded by 20 (regardless of the opponent) unless you’re too busy just standing around. They have to bring an attitude/toughness every time they walk on the court. These are slow painful lessons that can’t be glossed over with highlight dunks & press clippings.

5 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Have not seen or heard anything. Has there been anthing said about practice today? 

I can’t imagine it was very enjoyable for the team. Fred’s body language during the game and during the media session looked like he was extremely pissed. On Monday he mentioned how hard they worked on rebounding and the lack of defensive discipline to find a body, not over rotate on drives, and protecting the weak side board went against almost everything he said. I won’t even mention the offense. It wouldn’t surprise me if the team has heard “I taught you how to play my way and you decided to do it yours. Look where that got us” a hundred times.