uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 1 - Western Illinois

uneblinstu

1 minute ago, hhcdave said:

I will also say I was less than enthused by Hoiberg's coaching in this one.

We somehow only used one timeout in the second half? With THAT effort?

He seemed to just fold his arms and accept everything without really getting after them.

Disappointing

This is the part that's a little puzzling to me. He's a great coach but I dont get how this happens.

3 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Why is this one hitting me so hard? I'm legit sitting in my chair and can't move or even get up. I literally feel like I've been punched in the gut.

This. Sucks.

because they looked terrible and the two guys we were most excited for looked bad and were ball hogs.

at least one of them is a freshmen. 

1 minute ago, huskerbill85 said:

This is the part that's a little puzzling to me. He's a great coach but I dont get how this happens.

It's almost like he was trying to prove a point and say "your way" isn't working or at least that's what I hope because otherwise, that's really really bad.

Just now, PimpMario said:

because they looked terrible and the two guys we were most excited for looked bad and were ball hogs.

at least one of them is a freshmen. 

A freshman who 1000000% won't be here next year though. We have to win this year to move this program forward. Otherwise our recruiting momentum is going to go bye bye.

Just now, hhcdave said:

A freshman who 1000000% won't be here next year though. We have to win this year to move this program forward. Otherwise our recruiting momentum is going to go bye bye.

I get that.  I just meant at least maybe he can be coached.  other guy is a senior grad transfer so might be too late.

Memo for next year: Schedule WIU as an exhibition game and Colorado as a regular season game.

A few guys on this team need to take a hard look in the mirror. Lots of talk about "togetherness" on the floor and having great chemistry off the floor that went out the window as soon as they tossed the ball up for real.

That was a disastrous loss that's has a chance to linger, i.e., 2019-20. Friday is a very important game. Need to fix effort and attitude, ASAP.

We'll see if they can do it on their own, because the crowd will be in wait-and-see mode and absolutely dead Friday.

I agree with everyone on Verge. I was less than impressed by him.

Very impressed by Bryce - I wasn't discouraged about him at all. In fact I was very encouraged.

Trey was a stud as always.

Walker needs to find a way to rebound the ball or why is he out there? I need more out of you my man.

Wilcher was meh.

Wilhelm and Keisei had rough debuts.

I wonder if Fred regrets punting a few minutes in the first half with Lakes.

8 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Why is this one hitting me so hard? I'm legit sitting in my chair and can't move or even get up. I literally feel like I've been punched in the gut.

This. Sucks.

Can't speak for you, but between football being garbage(hello 9 loss season), the hype for Bryce, the exhibition against cu, I honestly thought this would be it. And then we feel flat on our face just like normal around here. Next year I guess ..

Feels like blowing out Colorado had them believing they could go through the motions tonight, with certain players wanting to make sure they get their points, and still win by 30. There's enough experience on this team that they have to know better.

Now they've been exposed and their flaws are there for everyone to see. The blueprint on how to frustrate them and to make them play selfishly is on video.

Do they fracture as a team and decide, "I'm getting mine," or do they accept a humbling, embarrassing lesson and figure out how to move forward together from it and play smarter, team basketball?

Such talk sounds like hyperbole on the opening night and maybe it is. But this loss feels like a huge crossroads already. Heck, even if they had eeked out a 2 or 3 point win, it would feel like a crossroads. That performance was the complete opposite of what their coaches want them to do and of how they talk about playing. An utter disaster.

That looked more like the team that couldn't get out of its own way because of selfish play the past two seasons than the new beginning we were expecting.

The coaches really have to push the right buttons over the next 72 hours. 

Here's another stat.  Western Illinois was 7 - 31 from 3 in the first 39:40, and 2 - 2 from like 25 feet in the last 0:20.  

Ohio State is ranked 17th, they find a way to beat Akron on a last second shot.  We have a 4 point lead with 0:20 to go against Western Illinois and lose.  That's Nebrasketball in a nutshell.

Nights like tonight make me think we are never winning that NCAA tournament game in my lifetime.

1 minute ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I agree with hhcdave, I don’t get not throwing Andre out there. breidenbach was pretty awful tonight.   At least give him a few minutes like we gave Lakes in the first half…. Andre was really cheering and into the game from the bench also. 

I thought I heard on the radio that Andre wasn't suited up.

36 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I couldn't disagree more with the first two bullet points. Bryce looked like Teddy Allen and Verge forgot how to be a PG. Too much iso ball from both of those guys didn't allow any other shooters to get into a rhythm. Terrible ball movement.

I couldn't agree more with you about disagreeing with the first two bullet points.

This team is going to lose a lot of games unless and until Verge and the McGowens boys can learn to play with each other and share the ball with their teammates.

And I'm going to get really sick of watching all the shake-n-bake, 1-on-5 stuff by Bryce and Alonzo. That shit needs to stop and it's up to Hoiberg to stop it. Tonight, he just let it go. And now we have a really bad home loss on our resume. So much for getting the monkey off our backs.