uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 1 - Western Illinois

uneblinstu

I didn't get to go to this game. It sounds like they got a painful lesson that things won't actually come easy. 

Things I gleaned from twitter:

• Bryce looked legit
  • Verge had a nice game
  • Rebounding is a serious issue
  • Free throw shooting was much improved...until it wasn't...
  • And they lost...so not a great start to the year...

Will be interesting to see how they pick themselves up off the mat on Friday...

View full article

Hardest I've been hit by a Husker loss in several years. Not exaggerating.

Just a tough, tough loss.

Looked disjointed on offense. Lots of me me me.

Defensive effort was mediocre outside of Trey and Derrick.

Can't get a rebound to save our lives against a middle of the pack Summit League team?

Missed 5 free throws in the last minute (if I'm not mistaken).

This is the kind of game that puts you into the NIT instead of the NCAA.

Absolutely HAVE to beat Creighton and KSU now. Can't lose again at home in the non con and HAVE to pick up one of the two road/neutral site games.

I'm not going to let one game ruin my goal and expectation of being in the tournament. But it sure put me in a bad, bad mood. And being Nebraska, our margin of error was already thin............

Plenty of chances and places to pick up big wins, though. Season just getting started.

GBR

9 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I didn't get to go to this game. It sounds like they got a painful lesson that things won't actually come easy. 

Things I gleaned from twitter:

• Bryce looked legit
  • Verge had a nice game
  • Rebounding is a serious issue
  • Free throw shooting was much improved...until it wasn't...
  • And they lost...so not a great start to the year...

Will be interesting to see how they pick themselves up off the mat on Friday...

I couldn't disagree more with the first two bullet points. Bryce looked like Teddy Allen and Verge forgot how to be a PG. Too much iso ball from both of those guys didn't allow any other shooters to get into a rhythm. Terrible ball movement.

Edited by Nebrasketballer

By the way what is the deal with Eduardo Andre? I admit I'm not following as closely as I used to - is he injured? If not, how does he not see the court in this game with Wilhelm in foul trouble and nobody able to grab a board? Are we just going to let him transfer out and not care? I had super high hopes for him.

5 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Hardest I've been hit by a Husker loss in several years. Not exaggerating.

Just a tough, tough loss.

Looked disjointed on offense. Lots of me me me.

Defensive effort was mediocre outside of Trey and Derrick.

Can't get a rebound to save our lives against a middle of the pack Summit League team?

Missed 5 free throws in the last minute (if I'm not mistaken).

This is the kind of game that puts you into the NIT instead of the NCAA.

Absolutely HAVE to beat Creighton and KSU now. Can't lose again at home in the non con and HAVE to pick up one of the two road/neutral site games.

I'm not going to let one game ruin my goal and expectation of being in the tournament. But it sure put me in a bad, bad mood. And being Nebraska, our margin of error was already thin............

Plenty of chances and places to pick up big wins, though. Season just getting started.

GBR

Would have to go something like 22-7 the rest of the way to make the tournament. Anything less and you'd be on the bubble, assuming another loss in the Big Ten tourney. SOS won't be as good this year and bubble teams with a loss to Western Illinois at home don't make the tourney. 

Double digit wins needs to be the goal this year.  You guys think I'm just being funny when I say it, but this team has no business thinking about the tournament, or top half of the league finishes or any of that crap.  If we can get to 10-21 or 11-20 that may be considered a success.

This team needs to worry about playing with a sense of urgency....and pride....and teamwork.  Not podcasts.  With a little luck we can maybe eek out a winning record (but at this point even that looks like a huge pipe dream).

I also gotta say that Fred might be coaching for his job by the end of the season.  This kind of performance is truly unacceptable for any Power 5 team, let alone a Big Ten team.  This is embarrassing.  The epitome of brutality.  Once again.

The first 39 minutes of the game.   21 - 25 from the free throw line.  Last minute 2 - 6.  

Verge needs to stop dribbling the ball into the lane with nowhere to go.  He attempted way more than 20 shots, and no way had 5 assists.  

Teams are going to crash the boards.

So many bad things out of this game, it's hard to find a silver lining.

My expectation was at least finish .500, but if we don't start moving the ball, this team will be lucky to reach 10 wins this year.

2 minutes ago, doc1394 said:

Verge was not good at all. Don’t let the stats fool you. He’s a problem if they want to move the ball in this offense 

Agreed, but on the other hand he had 13 rebounds while Bryce, Trey and CJ kind of stood around and watched Western Illinois grab boards. There are many problems. 

What did we do to deserve this?

Football at least has the fact TO sold his soul to the devil for that run, and/or were cursed for firing Solich…

The gods can’t be mad for firing Danny Nee can they? One of his players was banging… never mind… but he had to go. 

We’re nice people! We deserve an ok basketball team!