MAINE GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

5 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

Having two true point guards in Jaz and Allison will help us this year, both will be special. Nice to see improvement from the returning players.  Til we beat Creighton, they are our toughest non-con opponent IMHO.

have to agree with you....kinda what i was always thinking. not sure why matt thought maine would be the huskers toughest non-con game. granted, he knows WAY more than i do, but, not sure what he was basing his decision on. 

Matt made the comment early on that Maine was tough because they are a good program that regularly makes the NCAA tourney (they were in Austin in same quadrant as us last time we were in NCAA tourney).  They just got wiped out with transfers, injuries and graduation.  At the time he made the comment early he wouldn't have game prepped yet and most likely didn't know about all departures Maine had.  -- That said we have a chance to be really good.  This is Coach Williams most talented team.  We are deep even with Dillard's season ending injury and Micole being out for the game.  

One last thing.....

Maybe, just maybe, not sure if it was on purpose, or simply where the natural skills of this team lies.... the makeup of the team.  Might make us much less reliant on the 3. 

As has been noted several times we had 60 points in the paint. Only shot the 3 about 15-16 threes, just didn't need to rely on them. Granted our size compared to Maine was a large part of it inside....but Sam, Shelly, Weidner, Issie, etc. were penetrating to the basket at will and sure makes it tough for defenses to have to cover both in close and the perimeter. 

If we continue to use penetration a lot will be a nice dimension we haven't had so much...will make a difference if we continue down that road. 

We'll be harder to defend.

Edited by redsteve

1 hour ago, kansashusker said:

That said we have a chance to be really good.  This is Coach Williams most talented team.  We are deep even with Dillard's season ending injury and Micole being out for the game.  

I agree with you, mostly because the addition of Shelley at the point changes everything.  The additional ball handler is huge. And if Shelley wasn't here I'd probably be saying the same about Weidner.  I loved the 17-18 team with Whitish, but after that the ball could have moved better for sure. We have to remember that everybody in the B10 has 5 classes worth of talent instead of 4 because of the COVID year, and we also have the transfer rule changes so nobody is sitting out a year anymore. So while we do have more talent, there is more talent everywhere because of COVID.   BTW, it seems like Patberg has been at Indiana since the late 90's. 

I sure hope we see an increase in fan support this year.  I was at the game and coach Williams was right.  They are a lot of fun to watch with everyone contributing and we are young.  Even though the competition will continue to get better so will we.  My main reason for saying so is they really really like playing together which is quite evident.  They actually get more excited to see a teammate make a great play then when then do.

1 hour ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

I hope the boys can come watch a game or 2 and take some lessons from the girls

Watched the game....Sloppy and undisciplined. Some really skilled players, but ugly performance.  Street ball instead of a B!G team. New team, lots of new players. Have a long way to go. Hope Coach can right the ship.