Small Sample Size

Norm Peterson

This is always the hardest part in evaluation though... How does it translate once we get into Big Ten conference play?

A league dominated by bigs, known for bigs, and celebrates bigs.

It could be real fun to watch our system throw fits to the Big Ten defenses. Let's just make sure we can keep shooting well so we can open up those lanes.

22 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

This is always the hardest part in evaluation though... How does it translate once we get into Big Ten conference play?

A league dominated by bigs, known for bigs, and celebrates bigs.

It could be real fun to watch our system throw fits to the Big Ten defenses. Let's just make sure we can keep shooting well so we can open up those lanes.

yeah we need to pump the brakes a bit on the celebrations really.  Another thing Big Ten teams are really good at doing is defending the 3 point shot...

6 hours ago, hugh42 said:

Getting open looks from the 3 point line hasn't been our problem under Fred, it's been knocking them down.

Defended properly, open looks can turn into misses pretty easily.  That's exactly the point.  Getting open looks is one thing but knocking them down over 6' 7" wings sprinting straight at you is another.

24 minutes ago, jayschool said:

How does Verge compare with Glynn Watson his senior year?

Verge is easily more vocal. Watson was more of an outside shooter.  Verge has better court vision.

Even when his shots weren't falling, Glynn didn't turn the ball over and was a relentless defender.  We'll see how Verge stacks up in those departments as the season unfolds.

42 minutes ago, jayschool said:

How does Verge compare with Glynn Watson his senior year?

Hmmm... They're just.... Hmmmm... Tough one. They're just hardly even comparable players outside of both playing Point Guard at Nebraska. 

3pt Shooting - Watson. I think? I dunno... Verge's 3pt shot doesn't necessarily look automatic. 
Midrange - Verge

Sweet Passes - Verge

Vocal leadership - Verge

Defense - Watson (by quite a bit)
Ball screen manipulation - Verge

Straight up handles - Verge
Shit talking that you can hear from 20 rows up - Verge by a mile

Both tough dudes. But the difficult thing is that we're comparing a 4 year stalwart, who we got to watch grow and develop. The other is a relatively finished product who we're only going to see for one year. But Verge is a jitterbug who is going to make everyone better around him, pretty directly. Watson's impact was often not as direct. 

On 11/2/2021 at 8:23 AM, 49r said:

yeah we need to pump the brakes a bit on the celebrations really.  Another thing Big Ten teams are really good at doing is defending the 3 point shot...

One must remember that if the shooter has "NEBRASKA" on the jersey, this is not a foul.

image.png

It also wasn't a foul when Trey had the ball out front, Davison blatantly tripped him, stripped the ball and got a lay-up.  So expect turnovers to go up in conference play too.

I feel the need to defend Glynn Watson in this thread. His shooting ability, and overall point guard play, seems pretty under-appreciated. People don't understand how difficult (or impossible) it is for a lead guard in Tim Miles' system to be efficient and shoot a high percentage. Due to scheme, or lack thereof, the large majority of your shots were going to be off the dribble, heavily contested and at/near the end of the shot clock. Good shots were not generated within the system. It relied on guards and wings to make plays for themselves. Here are the three point percentages of the best players during those years:

Terran Petteway: 31%

James Palmer: 31%

Shavon Shields: 29%

Tai Webster: 28%

Glynn Watson: 35%.  His two highest volume years (Soph. and Senior) he shot 40% and 38%, respectively. He didn't have the size or slashing ability of those other four guys. He was a very good free throw shooter, excellent defender and did not turn the ball over. Any coach would love to have a point guard like Watson.

I think Verge will be great for us too, by the way. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Midrange - Verge

via hoop-math.com - 2pt jumpers - senior year shooting percentages 

Verge - 38.5%

Watson - 38.5%

28 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I feel the need to defend Glynn Watson in this thread.

I could see senior year Watson starting over Trey and/or Verge on this team.  He's arguably the best package of outside shooting, ball handling, and defense. 

My first post of the season, great takes as always on this site.  I'm super excited about the season, the B1G is a beast of a conference and a grind.  I think we'll be competitive in most our games.  Hey, maybe beat the team that shall not be named up North this year.

With that said, I get the Watson/Verge comparisons.  How about Verge compared to Cam Mack?  Games seem similar, both can dish the ball, and get to the rim.  Edge to Verge for no arrow shooting in my book.  Verge probably a better leader, team guy too.

Anyway, Hoiberg has something going here.  Hopefully this is the season they do something that's never been done here before.  GBR!

Glynn and Alonzo do not play PG the same way.  So they are not comparable.   When someone asked me who Alonzo played like, I said Cam Mack on figurative steroids.  Alonzo appears much better; especially a much better shooter, yet they play the game similarly.