WBB Exhibition, (W, 87-42), Mon, 11/1 vs MIDLAND, @ PBA, 7:30 pm CT, BTN +

Red Don

Game Summary & Box Score (@ huskers.com)

https://huskers.com/news/2021/11/1/huskers-run-past-midland.aspx

Alexis Markowski led four Huskers in double figures and just missed a double-double finishing with 15 points and nine rebounds to help the Nebraska women's basketball team power its way to an 87-42 exhibition victory over Midland in front of more than 3,000 fans at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Monday night.

Don't Miss it! ........index.php

Game Page (@ huskers.com)

https://huskers.com/news/2021/11/1/womens-basketball-huskers-meet-midland-to-tip-2020-21.aspx

LIVE LINKS:   B1G+ListenGame ProgramHistory

Video: None Good News! Live Streaming on BTN+ (but subscription required 😬)

Radio: Husker Sports Network (Available on Huskers.com and Huskers App)
...Play-by-play: Matt Coatney
...Analyst:.............Jeff Griesch

Edited by Red Don

• Red Don changed the title to (ok, I'll start:) WBB Game #0 (Exhibition), TONIGHT, Mon, 11/1 vs MIDLAND, @ PBA, 7:30 pm CT, Good News - Video on BTN +

This obviously will be an opener to help let off some pent up steam. Get on the floor and go.  Midland has a couple of Shepard sisters on their team (yes, that Shepard)

Wil be very interesting and fun to watch. We'll finally find out bits and pieces of what this team may eventually look like.  Got big expectations. As has been said a dozen times, this may/should be Coach Amy's team.  

Must get our feet on the ground quickly. The Maine game next week will be much tougher opponent. They're a largely international squad with lots of experience. They will be tough.

Edited by redsteve

3 hours ago, redsteve said:

This obviously will be an opener to help let off some pent up steam. Get on the floor and go.

Wil be very interesting and fun to watch. We'll finally find out bits and pieces of what this team may eventually look like.  Got big expectations. As has been said a dozen times, this may/should be Coach Amy's team.

Must get our feet on the ground quickly. The Maine game next week will be much tougher opponent. They're a largely international squad with lots of experience. They will be tough.

in an interview, i believe Matt Coatney thought Maine would be their biggest test in the non-con

idk....creighton?

Edited by whoopdeedoo

21 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Anyone able to watch this on btn+ it says I have a subscription to Nebraska already but won't let me watch this game

Working for me!

(but live stats aren't up yet. image.gif Guess Sidearm Stats haven't woken up from their nap!index.php

A bit wild and sloppy, but the newbies are all doing OK for the first time on the court.

Too much 3 shooting, but hey, it's a scrimmage/game. 

Markowski is rock solid money around the basket ! Better than we've had for a long time. Excellent body and ball control.

Moriarlity (sp) has been some showing good minutes. Moves well offensively and defense. Just needs to play more.

I like the scrappy defense we've been missing too long.

Weidner will be good. Like her stuff.

Edited by redsteve

10 minutes ago, redsteve said:

A bit wild and sloppy, but the newbies are all doing OK for the first time on the court.

Too much 3 shooting, but hey, it's a scrimmage/game. 

Markowski is rock solid money around the basket ! Better than we've had for a long time. Excellent body and ball control.

Moriarlity (sp) has been some showing good minutes. Moves well offensively and defense. Just needs to play more.

I like the scrappy defense we've been missing too long.

Weidner will be good. Like her stuff.

Agree, too many trey attempts, at least early on.   Later they seemed to get more into an attacking groove.

Scrappy D, but they've made some errors letting opponent get behind them.  They'll be OK.

Coach Amy has a lot of talent to work with this season!

• Red Don changed the title to WBB Game #0 (Exhibition), (W, 87-42), Mon, 11/1 vs MIDLAND, @ PBA, 7:30 pm CT, BTN +

Well, that was fun!   No question in my mind that there was more talent on the NU bench than was present during any of Amy's previous years.  I did not see any player with too little talent to play at this level or any player not giving a great effort.

I have been hoping to see #3 Weidner play the point for four years. I was disappointed to see #1 Shelly start at that position instead. That disappointment lasted about 3 or 4 minutes after which I could see how smooth, athletic, and court savvy Shelly is.  Looks as though we have two excellent natural points compared to some seasons past when we had none.  Feels good!

One question for all of you.  Did anyone else notice the intensity of the lights in the corners?  We sit in 9th row and by middle of 3rd quarter had headaches bc the lights were so intense.  I couldn't see the court well without shading my eyes by holding my hands on my forehead.  Did anyone else notice this or was it just my aging eyes playing tricks on me? 

I was disappointed by the number of treys that were attempted.   I don't believe that's going to be a winning strategy when we get into stiff B1G competition and nitty-gritty games go down to the wire.  I'd like to see us develop a more co-ordinated attack as an offensive identity.

Edited by Red Don

Shelly is the real deal.  Does it all...guess that's what is nice about her. Has team leader characteristics...huge BBall IQ.  Agile, active, and she can shoot.  

Weidner should see lots of minutes early. She a demon (in a good way !)  on the floor. A disruptor. That play where she came in from behind the shot, to rebound over the top  of everyone, was my kind of player. Absolute hustle.  End to end drive to the basket....just adds another dimension to your team.

Agree with Red Don.....cut out then endless 3's. Too many were shooting them...their shooting skills lay elsewhere. Fun to do in play around in practice, but just can't happen in games. 

Pretty sure the MIdlands game was just o get us going, everyone play, get to actually play a game. But....Need to come up with some semblance of order in the lineup. Got tons of talent. Won't be easy, but had all summer to evaluate skill levels.  The Maine game is here, must adjust to the real world quickly. 

The new kids on the block are great additions to the team, will be the back bone for several years to come. Have instantly taken us up a level. 

Enough talk....could write ton's of stuff ......Really like this team.

Edited by redsteve

Enjoyable game to watch.  Shelley seems to be a nice addition to the roster.  A bit early, but I think she has an edge over Weidner at the point. My 'sleeper' newbie is Moriarty.  The kid runs, jumps, and exhibits an athleticism I haven't noticed in awhile.  A bit like Leigha Brown, but maybe more athletic. It will be fun watching her hound some of the better front court scorers in the league.  

I know it was an exhibition and that everyone got minutes.  I have a concern that Amy will revert to a platoon system.  I think Sam and Bourne need to play plenty of minutes unless they are in foul trouble. Bench players need to produce when called upon or if starters aren’t productive. 

Reflecting a little more about it, I wonder if maybe all the early trey attempts weren't more intentional than not.  It seems like most everyone was given the green-light to shoot early on (21 of the 34 treys were in the 1st half, and everyone had at least 1 attempt except Kendall Coley) and then there is Coach Love's tweet that its going to be raining (threes). Maybe it was just to get it out of their system, or maybe show the team they shouldn't rely on threes to win games  (looking at the box score, what were the made treys:  only 7 out of 34 tries for a 20.6% success rate). 

Later in the game we saw a lot more teamwork and co-ordinated offense (accounting for 58 of the total 87 points).  There were 24 Assists (on the 36 made FGs) and FG shooting was 44.4% (61.7% from two).  We won the rebounding battle 53:36 and had 17 steals and 8 Blocks.  Impressive statistics (vs an admittedly over-matched team) for their first outing.

Mostly, I think this must be the most athletic and deepest team that Coach Amy Williams has had at Nebraska.  This should be a good year, but regardless this is going to be a fun team to watch.

https://huskers.com/documents/2021/11/1/NEBvMIDFinalBox.pdf

Edited by Red Don

• Red Don changed the title to WBB Exhibition, (W, 87-42), Mon, 11/1 vs MIDLAND, @ PBA, 7:30 pm CT, BTN +