uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; Prologue - Colorado

uneblinstu

3 hours ago, 49r said:

Attendance: 15,345

LOL

Also, 15.8% from 3 for the Buffs.  I guarantee that will be the lowest 3PT% for any opponent against us all year.  I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, this CU team is straight garbage.  I had no idea they would miss Wright so much.

Yeah, it was around 6,500

1 hour ago, Nighthawk said:

I remember back in the days of the Bob, the PA announcer would have the decency to actually invite "those sitting in the upper section" to move down to the lower parts of the arena to fill up the empty seats.  Wonder if it's because they  have people up there doing concession and other things for the upper level, but it would be nice if they would invite those sitting in the 200-300 level seats to come down to the 100 level to fill up all the empty seats.

I was at a game a couple of years ago sitting in the 200 section, when the ushers came to the section I was sitting in and asked if I would like to move down to the 100 section. It was behind the pep band, but yeah I moved down.

Just now, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

Not gonna lie, I’m surprised so many in here are big enough Nebrasketball fans to post on message boards yet sit in the nosebleeds.

Basketball games are an entirely different experience up close. Totally worth the upcharge, especially since Nebrasketball games are cheap.

Well... when the 100s and 200s are already sold out.... ya take what you can get.

However, when you add up all of the food, gas, and parking expenses that go along with it, for me it meant maybe making a game or two with single game tickets or securing a seat for the biggest games.

2 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Think the attendance numbers were generated by the same people that generate the fake sellout numbers at memorial stadium.  Although, I'm betting if the weather doesn't cooperate on Saturday, memorial stadium might look like PBA. If fans continue to follow tradition, the arena will look like this until the Creighton game, and probably then clear through to conference play. I hope one day we get to a point where ticket sales match actual attendance and the fans view the Non conference games with as much excitement as the conference games. 

To let sales never match actual attendance anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I’m front row of the 200 and love the unobstructed view. Took a while to get used to the railing but that passed. 100’s are tough, I’d rather have my vantage point unless I’m really close and that probably won’t happen 

We had our seats 2 rows up in the 200 level for about 3 years. We eventually moved to the 100 level.  Our biggest complaint with the 200 level was the railing.  Wish they had put in plexiglass instead of the railing.  

10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

This discussion about Bryce needing time reminds me of a water cooler conversation I had with a guy the day after the "Haunted Husker Hoops" thing (or whatever it was called) in 1992, probably 29 years ago today, actually.

Most everybody I know was badly hung over 29 years ago today.

21 hours ago, throwback said:

I see BTN is going to show a replay of Colo-NU at 8 am Thursday.

Anyway they can replay it with Kent and co doing the play by play.  I tried to watch some of the game last night and those announcers needed a caffeine IV. I was at the game so can only imagine based on posts I've seen here how much more hyped Kent was than the two that did the play by play on the radio 

Edited by Nighthawk

On 11/1/2021 at 12:08 PM, hskr4life said:

Well... when the 100s and 200s are already sold out.... ya take what you can get.

However, when you add up all of the food, gas, and parking expenses that go along with it, for me it meant maybe making a game or two with single game tickets or securing a seat for the biggest games.

Im in the 2nd row in the 300's close to mid court.  The $ you save vs 200 level is a lot.  You enter the same tunnel and i walk up stairs and am right there.  If I had a high row in the 200s it would seem like a wash.  The fact that I cant make everygame makes a difference to and can sell my tickets.  I do like the view too above as you can see things develop

2 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Cheap is a relative term.  I know big sports fans that don't even watch their teams because they can't afford streaming or cable.  They have young kids to feed, and free radio is the only choice that fits within their budget.  And then they just try to make it in person to a single game each year.  Expendable income is not equivalent to the amount of passion one has for their team.

I live 90 minutes out of town.  I show my fanhood here because it's too much of a pain to go to the games (I'll hit one up every couple years or so).

Money is certainly in play, as is the time.

This board takes very little of both.

This Colorado team is going to be a lot better at the end of the year as while they're talented they're in the process of replacing McKinley Wright who started at PG all 4 years he was at Colorado.

That being said I'm rewatching this game and am struck by how put together they looked in an exhibition game against an opponent they couldn't just out-talent. I have no idea what these guys will do once they get into situations where it's a tight game or any such level of adversity but I think you can really see that Hoiberg has the type of guys that he wants/needs to run his stuff at a high level.  I think the chemistry is actually there as well.

Bryce does need time.  The beauty of this team is that it doesn't need him on the roster to be a .500 or better team.  Verge, Trey, and Walker can carry this team for as long as it takes for him to get comfortable playing at this level.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Does anyone else like the look of Quaran McPherson thus far?

Yes, I mean in those garbage time minutes he’s had. He looks strong for a freshman. Anytime he’s been in he’s looked confident, has good energy, and looks like he’s having a good time. Looks like a spark off the bench type guy. On the pod, the McGowens said he’s a great defender. 

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

This Colorado team is going to be a lot better at the end of the year as while they're talented they're in the process of replacing McKinley Wright who started at PG all 4 years he was at Colorado.

That being said I'm rewatching this game and am struck by how put together they looked in an exhibition game against an opponent they couldn't just out-talent. I have no idea what these guys will do once they get into situations where it's a tight game or any such level of adversity but I think you can really see that Hoiberg has the type of guys that he wants/needs to run his stuff at a high level.  I think the chemistry is actually there as well.

Bryce does need time.  The beauty of this team is that it doesn't need him on the roster to be a .500 or better team.  Verge, Trey, and Walker can carry this team for as long as it takes for him to get comfortable playing at this level.

We haven't even played well either. 

Half-court execution has been bad. Defensive rotations have been poor. Rebounding has been atrocious. 

As I've said... I'm pretty excited for this team. 

Was at the game and forgot to check in here. Hi guys, it's basketball season again. 

Overall, thought they could've played better yet they led by 20 at one point.

Wilhelm has issues boxing out right now I noticed. He just tried to grab the ball. Once big ten play starts, I have to think they'll play him and Andre together, because Andre just gobbles up boards 

Bryce is finally getting comfortable in the scheme. He'll have nights where he's quiet all night but all of a sudden you'll look up and he has 20 and 5 boards and 4 dimes. He's my kind of wing honestly

Bench rotation is going to be interesting to watch all year. First will usually always be Wilhelm and CJ. After that Keisei and then it could be a variety of guys based on the opponent. 

PG play is going to be heavily dependant on Trey and Alonzo this year. After them we have Kobe, but the fall off is there. 

Overall, I saw a TON of good and some things that I think can be better. I see the potential with this team and not trying to jump the gun, but I'm getting a similar feeling to the JPJ/Copeland first year.