uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; Prologue - Colorado

uneblinstu

8 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Bryce is only the game’s leading scorer—on both teams.
And how is he doing within the “role” the coaches have assigned to him?   Here’s the answer: We internet geniuses don’t even know what that role is.  
One of the attributes of high level athleticism is this: they do things with such fluidity that it doesn’t even look like they are trying.  On a break-away last game, for example, he left everyone in his dust immediately.

Let’s give the guy a break and allow his game in this new setting to evolve naturally. 

I certainly don't think anyone is criticizing per se.  My observation is that he appears tentative or a step slow.  

51 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Agree as well. He looks tentative and I wish he was more aggressive driving attacking the rim. I think when he’s tried, he’s been sealed off by his defender…

I also agree. He may have the highest ceiling but I don't expect him to be the best player on the team this year. I don't think he has figured out how hard he needs to play (like his brother does). But that's all okay, he doesn't have to be there yet. Hopefully he can be that guy by the time March gets here. I

2 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

And yet another tweet. agree or disagree?

Agree.

He’s a bit tentative, figuring things out. 
Definitely not used to not having the ball in his hands all game. 
Seems kind of surprised when he gets to the rim and there’s big, strong athletes awaiting him.

And he’ll be 100% fine. All the tools and size are there. Also “cursed” with being so athletic and fluid that it doesn’t look like he’s trying - as he’s just blowing by someone in transition.

My only knock on his game that isn’t experience related is the release/jump point of his 3pt shot. Pretty low. 

Edited by basketballjones

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Bryce is only the game’s leading scorer—on both teams.
And how is he doing within the “role” the coaches have assigned to him?   Here’s the answer: We internet geniuses don’t even know what that role is.  

He played 6 more minutes than the next highest minute getter on our team and it was clear they were focused on “getting him going.” Especially later when he was almost the lead guard out there. 

There’s no “criticism” happening here. He’s definitely figuring things out right now, and what he can and can’t do. That’s not criticism it’s fact. The really nice thing about him, is even while he’s kind of feeling things out a bit and needs time - he’s never a negative asset out there. As in he’s not forcing anything or turning it over. He’s being cautious but smart. 

4 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Overall, a solid showing. Rebounding will be our key, it is for just about every team, but giving up second chance points hurts. 

I took some high school aged guys who play on the basketball team. All were very impressed with Verge. Most were underwhelmed with #5 and said if they didn’t know any better, they’d think he was about the 6th or 7th best player on the team.

Wilcher shot well, he and Tominaga got the crowd going for sure.

Love the ceiling for Wilhelm. His two made threes looked so natural.

Lat is a Division I shooter and an NAIA ball handler. Almost a turnover waiting to happen. 

Bryce probably is the 4th or 5th best player right now.

What many Husker fans don’t realize is that unless you’re a top 10 recruit, you likely aren’t going to be an absolute star freshman. Some blossom into stars by the end of the year, but most of the backend five stars are just solid role players right off the bat. That’s what Bryce looks to be right now, but eventually it’ll all click for him. He’s clearly very talented.

15 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Need some time for what?

I mean, sure. Bryce is going to need some time just like everyone else on the team.

I don't get the point of making this comment. I really don't. And it honestly pisses me off.

If you thought Bryce was going to be in mid-season form as of the 2nd exhibition game of his freshman season, then maybe you were a little naive. I mean, are you disappointed with what you've seen?

FFS. Shavon Shields was maybe the first Husker freshman to start an opening season basketball game since, like, Tyron Lue. His first 4 games, he scored 0, 2, 5, and 7 points.

Isaiah Roby, who now plays in the NBA, averaged 3.1 ppg his freshman season.

I don't want to hear/read people acting like they think a guy who just scored 15 points in the 2nd exhibition game of his freshman season is somehow behind schedule.

What were you people thinking you were going to see?

Did you all see the badly-missed 3-pointer that Lat Mayen shot, that Bryce snagged out of mid-air, turned and effortlessly banked in? Who else on our team is making that play today?

Mikes tweet is totally fair. I think he’s assuming people around here are expecting to see Texas Kevin Durant right from the start, cause they just don’t have experience with this. And it could take him a while to really find his grove. 

4 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Love the ceiling for Wilhelm. His two made threes looked so natural.

Lat is a Division I shooter and an NAIA ball handler. Almost a turnover waiting to happen. 

Yeah I about threw my toddler when Wilhelm did the side step, between the legs, step back 3.

Yep. He’s going to be the odd man out eventually unless he stops forcing things and playing outside of himself. 

46 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Mikes tweet is totally fair. I think he’s assuming people around here are expecting to see Texas Kevin Durant right from the start, cause they just don’t have experience with this. And it could take him a while to really find his grove. 

The fact anyone thinks it needs to be said is what irritates me. If you (by which I mean the generic "you") thought he was going to be perfect out of the box, then you've not given this any serious thought.

He's a freshman. An immensely talented freshman. If you can't see the immense talent through the "getting used to the feel of the college game" then you need to take another look.

This kid is the goods. He had a quiet, game-high 15 points today. Without appearing like he was really trying to force things. Once he gets his sea legs, look out.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

He played 6 more minutes than the next highest minute getter on our team and it was clear they were focused on “getting him going.” Especially later when he was almost the lead guard out there. 

There’s no “criticism” happening here. He’s definitely figuring things out right now, and what he can and can’t do. That’s not criticism it’s fact. The really nice thing about him, is even while he’s kind of feeling things out a bit and needs time - he’s never a negative asset out there. As in he’s not forcing anything or turning it over. He’s being cautious but smart. 

Some of the reason he played more minutes was that he wasn't in foul trouble which was an issue today with Verge and Trey picking up 2 each before the 10 minute mark in the first half

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

What were you people thinking you were going to see?

I know this comment was kind of sarcasm, but I do think there is some truth here.  I could tell, from some in my section, every time Bryce touched the ball-- it was like they were waiting for something spectacular to happen.  Every miss was an "ohh" or "gahh".  I think the comment about people not knowing what to expect is fair and there is some truth behind it.  It's never happened for us before, and the hype was huge.  FIRST EVER 5* RECRUIT.  People were going to expect big things (even if it's not quite fair to Bryce).

A more casual fan might not realize that 5* does not equate to immediate impact, 15-20 PPG, lottery pick in games 1 and 2.

I think most, if not all, on this board can see how special Bryce is/will continue to be.

Bryce is going to have to adjust just like every other non-lottery pick college freshman. There will be an adjustment in non-con and there will be an even bigger adjustment in conference play. He’s not walking into Nebraska 10 years ago where he would immediately be the best player on the roster. We got some dudes now. It’s undeniable though, he has the highest ceiling on the team. Body types and athleticism like that doesn’t grow on trees. 

I was at the game today. We are deep with shooters everywhere. We will have 5 minute stretches where we will hang 20 points on teams. Our wings are going to have to help us more on the boards if we are going to reach our potential. Verge was a crazy good get so late in the game. 

I’ve seen enough Greek tragedies from Nebrasketball to never count our proverbial chickens before they hatch. But I’m going to go ahead and call it. We are dancing this year, boys. Clear your schedule that week in March and say a prayer we aren’t going to Portland of Buffalo. 

Hey, I’m just sharing what the guys I brought had to say. They’re a tad bit younger than most on here, but see the hype, the rankings, and the mock drafts. Nbadraft.net currently has Bryce as a lottery pick. So when they see him projected 26 picks ahead of Johnny Juzang, who was a stud in the tournament finals game, their expectations rise. They expect him to basically be able to take the game over at will. Me personally, he’s got a super long frame and good athleticism. He’s adjusting to playing against much larger bodies. I think he’ll be fine as the year progresses and he continues to learn and develop. What do I know, I told those same guys last year Banton wasn’t an NBA player and now……