Jamarques Lawrence is N

hhcmatt

Nebraska lands class of 2022 6'4" shooting guard Jamarques Lawrence from New Jersey. After transferring to New Jersey powerhouse Roselle Catholic last year and a summer with the AAU NY Jayhawks, Lawrence saw his recruiting profile increase.  Known for his shooting ability, Lawrence decided on Nebraska over Wake Forest.

This is the 4th known verbal commit for Nebraska's class of 2022.  Nebraska would currently be two over the limit if every single eligible scholarship player returned next year which won't be the case.

View full article

9 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Who?

Verge, Kobe and Trevor are gone for sure. 

Bryce and Trey have said on their podcast their plan is to go pro after this year (could obviously change).

After last season, Derrick said he wanted to play two more years. But the most recent time someone asked him about it he seemed to be leaning towards this year being his last.

Lat -> Australia?

And there's the possibility (high probability nowadays) that at least one of the young guys either won't be satisfied with playing time and will choose to leave, or the coaches will want to upgrade and it will be a "mutual decision". 

Denim Dawson said in an interview there would be an opportunity for early playing time next year because we'll be losing at least 6 players off this year's roster. The coaches told him something. 

4 hours ago, REDitus said:

Welcome to future Husker Mr Lawrence.

This gives us a shooting guard to go along with our big man(Keita), point guard(Llyod) and athletic wing (Dawson).  

Maybe I am wrong but I don’t buy that Lloyd is a true PG.  Recruiting sites love to slap the PG label on big wings.   I think he will be a good wing in our positionless system, assuming he gets consistent with his 3 ball.  With Verge gone after this year I wonder if we are hitting the portal again for our PG.

6 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Verge, Kobe and Trevor are gone for sure. 

Bryce and Trey have said on their podcast their plan is to go pro after this year (could obviously change).

After last season, Derrick said he wanted to play two more years. But the most recent time someone asked him about it he seemed to be leaning towards this year being his last.

Lat -> Australia?

And there's the possibility (high probability nowadays) that at least one of the young guys either won't be satisfied with playing time and will choose to leave, or the coaches will want to upgrade and it will be a "mutual decision". 

Denim Dawson said in an interview there would be an opportunity for early playing time next year because we'll be losing at least 6 players off this year's roster. The coaches told him something. 

What this guy said.  Lol

14 hours ago, busticket said:

Maybe I am wrong but I don’t buy that Lloyd is a true PG.  Recruiting sites love to slap the PG label on big wings.   I think he will be a good wing in our positionless system, assuming he gets consistent with his 3 ball.  With Verge gone after this year I wonder if we are hitting the portal again for our PG.

I never said he was a true PG, but I do think he can serve in a point guard role as needed.   Maybe I just should of said ball handler.   I think a team should always have at least 3 ball handlers, and next years team will need ball handlers and I am counting on him to be one of them.  I agree with you in that I think we will need to target another transfer point guard depending upon what happens with our current players.   Lloyd is a good versatile guy who can fill that role or a wing role.   It's nice to have that versatility.

On 10/29/2021 at 7:20 PM, busticket said:

Just watched a Canyon game and Lloyd played the off guard, so now I am leaning more towards your take. 

What I do know is Lawrence is a shooter. 

2 hours ago, REDitus said:

Just watched a Canyon game and Lloyd played the off guard, so now I am leaning more towards your take. 

What I do know is Lawrence is a shooter. 

I love that Fred is assembling a nice cast of shooters.  After the first two seasons we definitely need a strong core of players that are legitimate three point threats to complement out slashers.  Lawrence will fit right in.  Lloyd had a great physical makeup for what we want to do.  Hopefully Parker joins the cast as well.  

On 10/29/2021 at 7:20 PM, busticket said:

They'll have to hit the portal for 2 PGs probably. Both McGowens and Verge will be gone

Overall, I agree with you. I look at him as a guy who can run an offense but he has scoring chops and that's how you'd best utilize him. They NEED to get a PG. Avery Brown would be awesome, but I guess the boat has sailed there