uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; Introduction - vs. Peru St.

uneblinstu

18 hours ago, 75unlgrad said:

Maybe Robin could provide more information concerning Andre's lack of playing time.  Are the coaches telling him that he is the 3rd option at the post position behind Walker and Breidenbach? 

My thoughts coming into the season were that Walker and Andre would share the duties in the post and Mayen and Breidenbach would share the power forward position.  This would give us two rim protectors/rebounders on the floor at the same time.  Rebounding has been a major problem for us and we didn't rebound very well against Peru State.

I know that we are a 'positionless' offense but we can't keep getting killed on the boards.  We give up way toooo many second opportunities.  I think we will need two 'bigs' on the floor for major minutes in the conference games.  And when Keon Edwards is at the small forward position, we will have three legitimate rebounders in the game.

There's no conspiracy against Andre. He's just behind Walker at this point and Hoiberg isn't going to play two traditional posts who don't have the versatility to drag their defenders out to the perimeter. Hoiberg's best team at Iowa State - the team he thinks had a real chance at winning the national championship if Niang didn't get hurt in the tourney - only had 7 guys in the rotation and none of the three actual post players on that roster were in that rotation. Niang (6'7") was their "5" and he had some versatile, strong, athletic dudes around him, like Dustin Hogue and Melvin Ejim (both 6'6"). They were a poor rebounding team, but that is the compromise. Kansas had monsters in the post during the Hoiberg years and Bill Self still hated playing against those Iowa St. teams. Hoiberg has talked about using Wilhelm in the same way he used Niang, and Keon fits the mold of Hogue/Ejim to a T. That is the future of Nebrasketball. 

Totally off topic...but with the Nebraska vs Perdu game Saturday and with the way hotels are for football games (no matter how bad the team is this year), can we expect a decent showing for Colorado fans Sunday or is the fact it's an exhibition going to cut the number down to next to none...except maybe anyone local who is a closet Colorado fan. I'd prefer to not see KU level attendance...at least KU fans have class...but I'd expect some Colorado fans to make a showing...they have not been to PBA for a men's game. 

On 10/28/2021 at 9:12 AM, millerhusker said:

I think Trey's new role will be what it always should have been, if he were playing on good teams. Avery Bradley type player - not really a point guard or a shooting guard, but an elite perimeter defender who just takes what comes to him on the offensive end and gets some buckets in transition. He's been one of the top two scoring options on very poor teams the last three years. Winning basketball is all about efficiency, and the best teams have efficient top scorers. Trey just doesn't have that ability. Nothing wrong with that, he can still be one of the most valuable players on the team. I loved the way he played last night. Didn't force anything offensively,  5:1 assist to turnovers, 3 steals and played relentless defense. Points will still come his way if he plays like that, especially if he shoots 38% from three again this year. 

This is a great point, and Trey's only realistic route to the NBA IMO.  He certainly has the athleticism to play in the league, but he needs to show he can be a lockdown defender with the ability to hit open 3s, attack bad closeouts, and score in transition. That is a role that can get you on an NBA roster.   

14 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

Pre season first game as a team so doesnt mean much. If it were OSU and not Peru St we lose. Saw some of the same movie poor perimeter defense, lack of communication at times, missed free throws. All things that can be fixed.

Wont have long stretches going scoreless with this team. 4 guys who can have a big game scoring on any night,  dont think I've seen a Husker team with this many guys who can distribute the ball, and oh baby some tremendous athletes. Clean up a few things and this team can beat anybody on any given night.

Don't mean to, OK guess I do mean to nitpick, we shot 14-18 from the freethrow line for a 77.8%. Take out Walker's 2-4 and we shot 86% as a team. Now Walker is going to shoot FT's for us so that's something he definitely needs to continue to work on. I can agree with everything else you said.

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

Don't mean to, OK guess I do mean to nitpick, we shot 14-18 from the freethrow line for a 77.8%. Take out Walker's 2-4 and we shot 86% as a team. Now Walker is going to shoot FT's for us so that's something he definitely needs to continue to work on. I can agree with everything else you said.

Admittedly I only watched the first half and only a bit of the 2nd half. We must have missed all our free throws the first half because it looked pretty shaky when I was watching. Either way I'm not worried about it.

20 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Completely agree with this. I think Hoiberg would rather not have Verge, Trey and Walker on the floor together much. Along with Bryce and Lat, who we know can both shoot the ball but neither have proven they can do it consistently at this level yet. 

In the game thread, before Verge entered the game, I said I thought he was our best at creating for himself AND for others. He absolutely needs to be in the game from the start to set the pace for this team. But he’d be at his best with some pure shooters around him. And those other four starters might not give him enough space to do what he does best. Wing defenders are going to collapse in on that pick n roll with Verge and Walker and our wings are going to have to knock down threes at a good clip. 

This is why Hoiberg keeps saying the hardest thing about his job is figuring out rotations and getting players to accept roles. I actually think Trey would be a great spark off the bench and could still play the same amount of minutes. But it’d be hard to ask a four year starter, whose freshman brother is in the starting lineup, to come off the bench. 

In terms of consistent 3pt shooting at this level, Trey and Lat have proven it more than anyone else on the roster. (Kobe also has). Then you're talking about whether or not CJ or even Keisei should start instead of Bryce. This IS hard.

Assuming we stay relatively healthy, the coaching is going to dictate how many games we win between 11 and 20.