uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; Introduction - vs. Peru St.

uneblinstu

13 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Wow, 13 guys score and we hit 14 of 18 free throws. The taste of the last two years is already being washed away. We will learn a lot more about what to expect after we play Colorado though, but this was a great start.

At the end of the game I couldn't believe it because I mentally had Walker down as 0-4 from the line instead of 2-4

So, @Nebrasketballer are you STILL thinking Keon Edwards in the starting lineup after that paltry 100% from the floor, 100% from three, 100% from the line for 12 points? I mean, he only had 1 rebound! ONE! In, like, 17 minutes. For a 6'7 guy? I mean, c'mon man. He had more blocks than he had rebounds, for goodness sake. Can't get outworked like that on the glass. Send in Eduardo.

j/k

We're going to climb KenPom and cover the point spread to start the season on weaker teams because of this depth.

It was fun to watch a game in person  but 2 years ago we beat Doane 91-63 right before we put up less than 50 against UC Riverside; this game isn't much of a measuring stick.

Colorado will tell us a lot more and it's nice that we get to watch this game as typically this would be a secret scrimmage type deal.

36 minutes ago, MandRHusker said:

I saw a pretty intensive scrimmage recently and in that scrimmage Bruce hit all his shots and looked like a 5 star. Conversely Keon looked a bit lost. Young players in a new system. They’ll both be great players for us once they’re comfortable.

Yup, Bryce looked like a freshman playing in his first game. Looked like he pressed a little less in the 2nd half.

15 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

We're going to climb KenPom and cover the point spread to start the season on weaker teams because of this depth.

It was fun to watch a game in person  but 2 years ago we beat Doane 91-63 right before we put up less than 50 against UC Riverside; this game isn't much of a measuring stick.

Colorado will tell us a lot more and it's nice that we get to watch this game as typically this would be a secret scrimmage type deal.

How hard do you think Fred will coach to win that game? I expect us to be outscored, simply because CU is more experienced, but I also expect a lot of experimentation.

7 minutes ago, jayschool said:

How hard do you think Fred will coach to win that game? I expect us to be outscored, simply because CU is more experienced, but I also expect a lot of experimentation.

They bring in a bunch of new faces so you the same could be said for them.

They also play slow, they're a defensive team, and the game is at 11 am.  I'd expect it to be a grind.

They also have the type of size that Peru St could only replicate with 2 guys and a trench coat

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

They bring in a bunch of new faces so you the same could be said for them.

They also play slow, they're a defensive team, and the game is at 11 am.  I'd expect it to be a grind.

They also have the type of size that Peru St could only replicate with 2 guys and a trench coat

Verge should be able to provide a decent scout.

-Defense was not great, especially in the first half. Had two guys closing out on one shooter etc, but I trust Doc to get that fixed. 

-Rebounding will be a big issue regardless but it's pretty glaring when we play small. 

-I think we're going to score and score a lot. All the newcomers' shots look smooth even when they missed. 

-Keisei already has the gravity of an elite shooter. You can see him looking for the slightest chance to get off a three in a two man game situation and the defense is reacting accordingly which will open up things for other guys. 

11 hours ago, OurDecay said:

Just got home from the game, a few thoughts:

- this is unquestionably Verge’s team.  The crowd was sparse enough tonight that you could hear them talking on the court, and Verge is pure alpha.  Demands attention of his teammates.  Doesn’t berate them, but he is running the show.

- Now, the flip side of that is that this was Trey’s team last year.  I felt like Trey couldn’t get into his role tonight offensively.  He brings great defensive energy, and that leads to good things.  But when your leading returning score doesn’t officially attempt a shot, it raises some eyebrows.  If he isn’t the point, then I’m not sure he is comfortable in his new role.  

- the spacing with Verge & Walker was beautiful.  When we went 5 wide I expected Bryce and Trey to be able to drive and finish and they didn’t.  The guy guarding Trey took away his left and Trey struggled.  Bryce couldn’t get around the guy guarding him.

- I think when you look closely at pedigree, you could argue that Keon is as big a recruit as Bryce.  Keon is big enough to play the 4 and an absolute specimen.  He obviously was lights out from outside.  I feel like Fred was testing the idea of subbing out Mayen for him, and I think there is some promise there.  He is physically different and will be a nightmare on both ends of the court as he matures

- Wilhelm is an excellent and skilled player.  On the replay, watch how he directs people on the defensive end.  He is vocal and almost always gets to the right places on both ends of the court.  He will play plenty.

- it may not matter, but Andre and Lakes are much improved.  We are deep and have lots of options

- about Bryce…if you watched the game tonight without knowing anything about our players…he did not strike me as a highly rated guy.  Contrast it to the way all the aforementioned guys flashed.  I have no doubt he is Uber talented, but to me he needs to start small and figure out a focus…whether it is defense, 3-pt-shooting, driving, passing…whatever.  He has the talent to do it all well, but he would be served by finding a niche and excelling, and then expanding his game

One last comment.  I agree with the point above about the NIL.  The season has started, let’s focus now.  Some of our players looked unprepared.

Awesome post. 

10 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Verge strikes me as someone who can weather adversity but I recall Cam Mack looking quite good, especially against lesser opponents 

I don't think Verge is as elite in like one or two areas as Mack was - but I think Verge is so much more sound in a lot of other areas, including being pretty dang good at the areas Mack was better at. 

- this is unquestionably Verge’s team.  The crowd was sparse enough tonight that you could hear them talking on the court, and Verge is pure alpha.  Demands attention of his teammates.  Doesn’t berate them, but he is running the show.

- Now, the flip side of that is that this was Trey’s team last year.  I felt like Trey couldn’t get into his role tonight offensively.  He brings great defensive energy, and that leads to good things.  But when your leading returning score doesn’t officially attempt a shot, it raises some eyebrows.  If he isn’t the point, then I’m not sure he is comfortable in his new role.  

- the spacing with Verge & Walker was beautiful.  When we went 5 wide I expected Bryce and Trey to be able to drive and finish and they didn’t.  The guy guarding Trey took away his left and Trey struggled.  Bryce couldn’t get around the guy guarding him.

- I think when you look closely at pedigree, you could argue that Keon is as big a recruit as Bryce.  Keon is big enough to play the 4 and an absolute specimen.  He obviously was lights out from outside.  I feel like Fred was testing the idea of subbing out Mayen for him, and I think there is some promise there.  He is physically different and will be a nightmare on both ends of the court as he matures

- Wilhelm is an excellent and skilled player.  On the replay, watch how he directs people on the defensive end.  He is vocal and almost always gets to the right places on both ends of the court.  He will play plenty.

- it may not matter, but Andre and Lakes are much improved.  We are deep and have lots of options

- about Bryce…if you watched the game tonight without knowing anything about our players…he did not strike me as a highly rated guy.  Contrast it to the way all the aforementioned guys flashed.  I have no doubt he is Uber talented, but to me he needs to start small and figure out a focus…whether it is defense, 3-pt-shooting, driving, passing…whatever.  He has the talent to do it all well, but he would be served by finding a niche and excelling, and then expanding his game

One last comment.  I agree with the point above about the NIL.  The season has started, let’s focus now.  Some of our players looked unprepared.

This is a 10/10, spot on post. Your first two thoughts will be the most important dynamic of the entire season. 

Coach Hoiberg is going to earn his money this year. 

I think Trey's new role will be what it always should have been, if he were playing on good teams. Avery Bradley type player - not really a point guard or a shooting guard, but an elite perimeter defender who just takes what comes to him on the offensive end and gets some buckets in transition. He's been one of the top two scoring options on very poor teams the last three years. Winning basketball is all about efficiency, and the best teams have efficient top scorers. Trey just doesn't have that ability. Nothing wrong with that, he can still be one of the most valuable players on the team. I loved the way he played last night. Didn't force anything offensively,  5:1 assist to turnovers, 3 steals and played relentless defense. Points will still come his way if he plays like that, especially if he shoots 38% from three again this year. 

2 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I think Trey's new role will be what it always should have been, if he were playing on good teams. Avery Bradley type player - not really a point guard or a shooting guard, but an elite perimeter defender who just takes what comes to him on the offensive end and gets some buckets in transition. He's been one of the top two scoring options on very poor teams the last three years. Winning basketball is all about efficiency, and the best teams have efficient top scorers. Trey just doesn't have that ability. Nothing wrong with that, he can still be one of the most valuable players on the team. I loved the way he played last night. Didn't force anything offensively,  5:1 assist to turnovers, 3 steals and played relentless defense. Points will still come his way if he plays like that, especially if he shoots 38% from three again this year. 

Love this post as well!

14 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I don't see Walker getting just shoved to the side. He does too much and is too good around the basket with Verge's passes. I'm big on Walker. 

Me too, the operative word there is “could.” I love the versatility & range Breidenbach & Edwards bring, but Walker is a load down low. Diaper Dandies all around, can’t wait to see how it unfolds…

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, @Nebrasketballer are you STILL thinking Keon Edwards in the starting lineup after that paltry 100% from the floor, 100% from three, 100% from the line for 12 points? I mean, he only had 1 rebound! ONE! In, like, 17 minutes. For a 6'7 guy? I mean, c'mon man. He had more blocks than he had rebounds, for goodness sake. Can't get outworked like that on the glass. Send in Eduardo.

j/k

I think this could be an intriguing lineup too, but I would be a little nervous about Edwards ability to guard the 4 vs Power5 teams, especially in the physical Big Ten.

1- Verge

2- McGowens

3- McGowens

4- Edwards

5- Walker

That could be an explosive lineup vs teams that play a little bit more small ball, but he’s probably a little under sized (at least this season as a freshman) to guard the 4 in the Big Ten on most nights.

13 hours ago, hskr4life said:

-- Verge will be the best all around PG since?  Dare I say he may be the piece this puzzle would have been missing for the year.

Glynn Watson

I watched some of the highlights and Buzzy mentioned a couple times that they weren't talking on defense. Part of the growing process for a lot of teams, especially ones with as many new pieces as ours.

I think there's some really nice clay to work with on this team. I'm excited to see how it all gets molded together as the season unfolds.

6 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I watched some of the highlights and Buzzy mentioned a couple times that they weren't talking on defense. Part of the growing process for a lot of teams, especially ones with as many new pieces as ours.

Buzzy was about ready to come out of his commentator role last night and drop the hammer on some guys on the floor. That was a very nice insight to see what they're focusing on and what they see. I loved when they screwed up the first play - and he immediately was like, "Coach Hoiberg is not going to be happy about that. He looks calm, but executing the first play is one of his priorities always." 

11 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Buzzy was about ready to come out of his commentator role last night and drop the hammer on some guys on the floor. That was a very nice insight to see what they're focusing on and what they see. I loved when they screwed up the first play - and he immediately was like, "Coach Hoiberg is not going to be happy about that. He looks calm, but executing the first play is one of his priorities always." 

Who is Buzzy? I didn't listen to the btn pbp people.