Denim Dawson is N

hhcmatt

Nebraska lands their 3rd member of the 2022 class after a large recruiting weekend earns them the commitment of Denim Dawson from Ontario, California.  Dawson was originally in the class of 2021 but reclassified into '22 and will attend a postgrad year at Southern California Academy.  Clocking in at 6'5", the springy Dawson turned heads in the summer AAU circuit which led to several scholarship offers prior to his trip to Nebraska including Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech.

Including verbal commits, Nebraska is over the scholarship limit by 1 for 2022 which will sort itself out with guy declaring for the draft and/or inevitably transferring. 

View full article

33 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

https://www.on3.com/college/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/denim-dawson-2022-three-star-commits-to-nebraska/

"They are what I was looking for in a school. They’re losing about seven players. I just felt like it was the right place.”

That's quite the statement.

So....

Webster

Mcgowens x 2

Verge

Mayan

Walker

Lakes

Seems about right

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

https://www.on3.com/college/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/denim-dawson-2022-three-star-commits-to-nebraska/

"They are what I was looking for in a school. They’re losing about seven players. I just felt like it was the right place.”

Yeesh!

9 hours ago, Crush78 said:

So....

Webster

Mcgowens x 2

Verge

Mayan

Walker

Lakes

Seems about right

I'd say that's a good list. Attrition and scholarship availability are two different things.

Webster and Lakes leaving won't free up any schollies. Verge leaving and the open one we have are filled by Lloyd and Keita.

In theory then we might be trying to fill three scholarships for next year and we just filled one.  I'd be pretty surprised if Jamarques Lawrence ends up here over Wake Forest.

9 hours ago, busticket said:

I am pretty sure he wants a shot at the NBA.  If he leaves we probably had a really good year.

Oh for sure, I’m just throwing out possibilities.  When the money comes calling it’s hard to say no.  I’ve noticed a bit of an influx in guys going home to play pro, doesn’t mean it will happen here just that it’s a possibility.  Either way having the possibility of losing like 6-8 guys is crazy.  

11 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Here's an unsurprising six:

Alonzo Verge

Trey McGowens

Bryce McGowens

Kobe Webster

Derrick Walker

Trevor Lakes

A seventh would be a surprise?

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Alonzo Verge

Trey McGowens

Bryce McGowens

Kobe Webster

Derrick Walker

Trevor Lakes

Lat would be the 7th.  Unlikely he comes back considering this will be his 5th season of college ball (2 at TCU, 1 JUCO & 2 at NU).  I suspect he'd prefer to get paid somewhere instead of playing a 6th year of college. 

On 10/7/2021 at 9:13 AM, Swan88 said:

Alonzo Verge

Trey McGowens

Bryce McGowens

Kobe Webster

Derrick Walker

Trevor Lakes

Of course we have the two transfer candidates - Quaran and Oleg. Late additions don’t seem to ever stick around more than a couple years.

Examples of commits in May or later of that years recruiting class: Sergei Vucevic, Jordy, Thor (4 years!), Amir Harris, Samari Curtis, Kevin cross, Yvan, Elijah Wood, Eduardo, Quaran

if Wilhelm is getting the majority minutes at center and with a JUCO all-American filling in for Walker next year, I hate to say it but Eduardo could be a transfer candidate as well.

Edited by JBARGIE

45 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

No player is immune to the transfer trend; no player.  There are enumerible influences on players these days, and it is difficult to balance them.  So we can list each player with eligibility remaining as possible transfers...but so can every college team 🤯

Agree, but I would argue that the odds of Keon Edwards or CJ Wilcher transferring are very low since they have already transferred once and would have to sit out a year if they were to do so again.  

• 5 weeks later...

Wow.  Practice squad just got an upgrade, although this sort of decision always makes me wonder if it actually benefits the player.  A head start on B1G conditioning and nutrition, plus going against better players in practice, vs a ton of lost game experience from the kids' HS senior year.

1 minute ago, aphilso1 said:

Wow.  Practice squad just got an upgrade, although this sort of decision always makes me wonder if it actually benefits the player.  A head start on B1G conditioning and nutrition, plus going against better players in practice, vs a ton of lost game experience from the kids' HS senior year.

I think this easily benefits the player.  Another benefit is that by the start of next year he's already accustomed to being an university student as well as being familiar with what we run offensively and defensively.