NU Pro Day

14 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’d say it’s safe to say we’ll have TWO players taken in next years draft, & probably a total of 4-5 (from the roster) that we’re getting long hard looks today for future reference...

Which TWO players are you talking about?  

Via OWH article on NU Pro Day:

The first 10 on the court for 5-on-5 drills looked like this: Alonzo Verge, Trey McGowens, Bryce McGowens, Lat Mayen and Derrick Walker on one squad, with Kobe Webster, Keisei Tominaga, C.J. Wilcher, Wilhelm Breidenbach and Eduardo Andre on the other. That left scholarship players Lakes, Quaran McPherson and Oleg Kojenets on a team with walk-ons Sam Hoiberg and Jackson Cronin.

DePaul transfer Keon Edwards was in his practice gear but didn't participate in the workout after playing in Friday's Opening Night event. It was the opposite for Mayen, who sat out Opening Night, but was active Tuesday morning. Walk-ons Chris McGraw and Jace Piatkowski also didn't take part in the workout.

15 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Yes, Alonzo & Bryce. No certainties mind you, but the MOST likely...

Don't disagree they are the most likely but that's not what you said.  You said we would have 2 players taken which is a tall feat.  I could see us having one but doubtful we will have two but would be cool if we did.  Here is your quote:

I’d say it’s safe to say we’ll have TWO players taken in next years draft,

I'd love to know what kind of feedback Verge received from the NBA scouts before deciding to come to Lincoln.  Based on his time as ASU, you would think it was something like...be more efficient scoring, improve 3 point %, show you can be a distributor, impact the game defensively...but who knows. 

22 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Don't disagree they are the most likely but that's not what you said.  You said we would have 2 players taken which is a tall feat.  I could see us having one but doubtful we will have two but would be cool if we did.  Here is your quote:

I’d say it’s safe to say we’ll have TWO players taken in next years draft,

I’ll stand by it, but we’ll see won’t we?Mind you, they won’t be lottery picks, & I’m still hoping Bryce becomes SO enamored of Lincoln & his College experience that he sticks around for year two, but these are debates it’s fun to have for a change...

15 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

I'd love to know what kind of feedback Verge received from the NBA scouts before deciding to come to Lincoln.  Based on his time as ASU, you would think it was something like...be more efficient scoring, improve 3 point %, show you can be a distributor, impact the game defensively...but who knows. 

Probably similar to this: https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/alonzo-verge-jr-scouting-report/

20 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

So the other 5 going semi pro or what?

Probably.  I'd guess Trey will try to cut his teeth in the G League.  Lat probably back to Australia. Webster and Walker could likely make a roster in a lower Euro League if they aren't ready to hang up their sneakers yet.  Lakes might have a hard time landing somewhere.  Not because his skillset doesn't work in Europe, but because it's hard to imagine him getting a lot of looks when there's really no tape on him (assuming he doesn't crack our rotation this year).

On 10/8/2021 at 5:41 AM, millerhusker said:

Two years ago Washington had two first round picks and another 5 star. They finished below .500 and dead last in the PAC-12. 

In five of six consecutive seasons, the Huskies had two players taken in the draft.

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Pacific-12-Conference/7/Washington/163/nba-draft

During this time they advanced to a single NCAA tournament and won a single tournament game, beating Utah State in a 9-8 match-up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Washington_Huskies_men's_basketball_team

They've got a pretty bad reputation for squandering one-and-done talent.

2 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

In five of six consecutive seasons, the Huskies had two players taken in the draft.

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Pacific-12-Conference/7/Washington/163/nba-draft

During this time they advanced to a single NCAA tournament and won a single tournament game, beating Utah State in a 9-8 match-up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Washington_Huskies_men's_basketball_team

They've got a pretty bad reputation for squandering one-and-done talent.

Would our fan base turn that down? IMO I think some on here would look at that as a success.

9 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

Would our fan base turn that down? IMO I think some on here would look at that as a success.

Honestly... I am kinda disappointed to hear the 16-18 games won, NIT expectations I've been reading. We have depth, a one-and-done talent, and plenty of major conference experience. We literally have no excuses this year. B1G is not as good as it was last year (it's good, don't get me wrong), a competitive but certainly winnable non-con schedule, and we have plenty of other pieces and experience. 

I personally consider anything short of an NCAA tourney birth a definite disappointment.