Don't Make Me Do This (Scrimmage Summary)

Was really hoping to open up my favorite site today and see someone else write this... highly disappointed everyone. Highly. 

First off, if you think you can make any definitive assumptions on this team after that, you're a lot better at this than I am. They were just having fun and playing pick-up - with the intention to entertain and have fun. 

I'm going to start off with the main topic I'm sure everyone is wondering. Yes, Wilhelm Breidenbach will play this year and yes he's probably the greatest pick-up in Nebrasketball History. As soon as he signed his LOI looking through his thick goggles the program changed. 

Wait? Who? McGowens? Trey? Trey's has a brother on the team? That's so nice!
SO...... Two things can bet true at once. 1. Bryce McGowens has an NBA frame, skill set, etc... etc.. etc.. to be a Lottery Pick. 2. Bryce McGowens might not necessarily be ready to (or need to?) lead a B1G team as the go-to guy, give him the ball and get out of his way, 23ppg or whatever else a lot of us are thinking a 5-star could be. In other words, I don't think this is Kevin Durant for Texas. THAT'S OK - THERE'S A LOT OF GOOD, PRODUCTIVE SPACE BETWEEN KEVIN DURANT AND YOUR TYPICAL 5-START YOUNG LOTTERY PICK  - PLEASE TAKE YOUR CAPS LOCK OFF AND DELETE THE POST YOU'RE MAKING GETTING READY TO SCREAM AT ME. 

There's a really good reason why I say the last paragraph. That reason - there's a lot of other dudes on this team who can tote the rock and be the guy any given night. We're gonna have Lat's night, Trey's night, Verge's night, etc.. Heck - maybe even Keisei's night (good lord it's scary to think of the runs he could go on if the match-ups are right). 

Anyways - I'm not going to spend too much more time on the scrimmage. I don't believe you can draw much from what they showed Friday. But I will say I can foresee two potential issues:
1. Rebounding/Girth. This has plagued us in the past. Especially if we can't play our tempo and make shots. We're kinda skinny again. I don't see a guy who I'm like, "that guys gonna get double digit rebounds a game." I hope Walker can withstand the pounding down there, and I really hope Andre is serious about trying to be more "Rodman-like" as he's mentioned on a podcast.

2. Who's team is this? I see some potential conflict brewing... Who's our leader? Who's gonna have their hand on the ball in crunch time and late in the shot clock? I feel like there's a bit of a conflict between who believes they're that guy and who actually is. We'll see! Could be (I hope it is) nothing. 

4 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I'm going to start off with the main topic I'm sure everyone is wondering. Yes, Wilhelm Breidenbach will play this year and yes he's probably the greatest pick-up in Nebrasketball History. As soon as he signed his LOI looking through his thick goggles the program changed. 

WB was constantly in the right place at the right time. That no lift jumper is wet. He's definitely going to play.

46 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

WB was constantly in the right place at the right time. That no lift jumper is wet. He's definitely going to play.

Could he have a similar career to Matt Garza when he is done at Nebraska??  Probably doesn't have the inside game that Matt Garza did but I see similarities..

My Bad  LUKA GARZA!!

Edited by ConkintheCorner

Wasn't able to attend the scrimmage.

So . . . what degree of exaggeration/hyperbole/joking-around vs. kernel-of-truth is wrapped up in this statement: "Yes, Wilhelm Breidenbach will play this year and yes he's probably the greatest pick-up in Nebrasketball History. As soon as he signed his LOI looking through his thick goggles the program changed."? 

3 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Wasn't able to attend the scrimmage.

So . . . what degree of exaggeration/hyperbole/joking-around vs. kernel-of-truth is wrapped up in this statement: "Yes, Wilhelm Breidenbach will play this year and yes he's probably the greatest pick-up in Nebrasketball History. As soon as he signed his LOI looking through his thick goggles the program changed."? 

I was able to watch.... Wilhelm will be a rotation staple, from what I saw.

3 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Could he have a similar career to Matt Garza when he is done at Nebraska??  Probably doesn't have the inside game that Matt Garza did but I see similarities..

Assuming you mean Luka and not the former MLB player here.  I don't think that's a great comparison because Garza was a traditional center and the focal point of Iowa's offense. Seems like he could be 'If Michael Jacobson or Kevin Cross could make 3s'.  Really starting to see the 5 man potential there.

I realize there are a lot of smoke and mirrors with these scrimmages and a lot of guys just cutting up, so you can't judge a lot by everything you see. But it's not entirely without value to fans trying to get a glimpse of what the future might hold in store.

For instance, that up-and-under by Keisei scoring against Lakes was legit.

Kid looks like more than just a situational shooter.

The scrimmage was akin to an NBA All Star game. For the most part, nobody played defense and it was an opportunity for players to show off their skills. What stood out to me about Breidenbach was that, even in the midst of the free-for-all, he was actually making the correct basketball plays (e.g. reversing the ball quickly, going to set a pick when people were standing around). It appears the kid has a very high basketball IQ. He clearly has some skills and he's obviously put on some good weight. It will be interesting to see how he might be able to help this team win games. 

Edited by Coaches kid
typo

Yup.  Nothing earth shattering.  My two biggest worries as I watched that party is that the game is played with only one ball and we have a lot of players in need of that one ball.  So will chemistry issues occur due to playing time, roles and shot selection?  My response to myself was maybe yes, maybe no...we shall find out.

Secondly, who are/is the leader.  My guess is that it is Trey and/or Walker?  But could it be Verge or Kobe?  Worse case scenario---will we have a fractured team?  

Yet...so many feel good moments and there is a significant upgrade in depth and talent!

14 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Yup.  Nothing earth shattering.  My two biggest worries as I watched that party is that the game is played with only one ball and we have a lot of players in need of that one ball.  So will chemistry issues occur due to playing time, roles and shot selection?  My response to myself was maybe yes, maybe no...we shall find out.

Secondly, who are/is the leader.  My guess is that it is Trey and/or Walker?  But could it be Verge or Kobe?  Worse case scenario---will we have a fractured team?  

Yet...so many feel good moments and there is a significant upgrade in depth and talent!

I think the one thing Hoiberg can point to is that Banton, a guy that got demoted in season, was still able to get drafted. Granted he had something others players may not have but it shows that connections to the NBA can still be made even if you don’t put up amazing stats. 

5 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

This stuff was always there and apparent from the start with him. You can go back to when I watched Him in Portland as a Junior in Hs. He is no nonsense, does everything the way it’s supposed to be, is the ultimate team player, is very respected by his teammates, and plays hard but looks like the dude at the YMCA. Other teams will grow to hate him as much as we love him over time like similar Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Iowa players we all despise. 

It was killing him not going all out in the scrimmage on defense.  I loved that.