Oh snap!

3 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

if they are that physically unable to take some stairs perhaps they should be in the ADA seating or if it is that big of a deal to them they can have their seats moved to the upper half of the 100 level so they are only a few stairs up from the concourse and then elevators. Not trying to be a heartless prick, but there are ways around it. And if it’s really that big of a deal perhaps a rule where they can wait 10 minutes postgame for foot traffic to clear out and then open up the court level access to 100 level ticket holders who will not take the stairs up. At least that way you don’t have people streaming for the court exits on National TV and anyone who absolutely must use the floor exits has the opportunity if they are willing to be patient. I don’t think they need to bend over backwards though to accommodate Husker fans who think they deserve special treatment. I’ve worked at the athletic department, and believe me there are a LOT of Husker fans who think they deserve what special accommodations for whatever their situation is. Knowing the demographics of that 100 level I think a lot of people would be lining up for an exemption to this rule and you’d end up with the same situation we’ve had, most of the lower 100 section exiting the floor and most of them doing so before the game is early trying to get home for the 10:00 news. 

If you tried to put everyone who has honest significant difficulty traversing the steps from the concourse to the floor and back up in PBA into ADA seating they would probably need about 20 times more ADA seats than they currently have.   I also don't think anyone should be forced to change seats if there are reasonable ways to allow them to access the seats they have.  Clearly some floor level access is possible.  They are not closing it off completely - even allowing the big donor courtside seat people to go in that way.   

The idea of telling people to wait 10 minutes is a reasonable potential option for the end of games.   Frankly if the problem people are worried about is really just the ones leaving early it would be very easy to just close off access to the floor from the seats until the game is over.   I agree that it you allow exceptions it creates a situation where people who don't really need them will seek them.   But to me that is less of a problem than not providing any exceptions to those people who really do need them to access their seats.    There are certainly ways to make  this available to people who really need it without it getting out of control.

Maybe on next years renewal they can ask if you leave the games early. At that point those people that answer yes will be placed in a section for easier exit options. I'm joking btw. The guy/couple that sits a couple seats inside me in lower bowl usually shows up with 15 minutes left in 1st half regardless of start time and always leaves early. I've found the best way to avoid traffic is to have a post game beer somewhere and by the time I knock that back I have clear sailing for my hour and twenty minute drive home.  

On 10/2/2021 at 1:06 PM, Fastbreaker said:

Why does it bother some off you so much if people leave early.  A ticket is bought.  This gives that person the right to arrive late, leave early or not come at all.  Not everyone is a never sit down, slobber all over themselves type of fan.  

No one is saying you can't leave early if that is what you want to do but can certainly tell you where you are able to leave at before the game is over.

17 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

No one is saying you can't leave early if that is what you want to do but can certainly tell you where you are able to leave at before the game is over.

You sure about that? Several posters here in the past have said they heckle fans who leave early. 

Leaving early is bad form.  Here are some reasons:

1.  It looks bad--especially when (i) we are losing, and (ii) exit traffic is courtside and in full television view;

2.  It is bad--especially when (i) we are winning, and (ii) see 1(ii) above;

3.  Getting out of parking garages before the rush begins is a poor excuse for looking and being bad--I don't heckle early leavers but reserve the right to do so.

Trev knows what he's doing in managing in-arena experiences.  At UN-O he made huge improvements in this area and reaped great dividends.  He is making this a priority here as well--and will achieve success.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

People who do shameful things deserve to be shamed.

Were I sitting between someone who was leaving early and someone who was heckling them, I'd be much more ashamed of the heckling behavior.

I completely agree that people leaving early looks bad (mostly on TV).

But it is by no means actually bad.

People buy tickets to sporting events for the entertainment value the event brings. Once the value is up, people feel the desire to leave (there's nothing left for them to be entertained by).

If people aren't enjoying something that is meant for enjoyment, why should they keep doing it?  They clearly find the first 35 minutes of (generally) blowouts more entertaining than the final five minutes.

I've left sporting events early. I've left concerts early. I've left movies early. I've left theater productions early. I've stopped reading books before I've finished them. Life's too short to stick around an event meant for entertainment after the entertainment value is gone. Clearly there are a number of people who don't feel that way (and maybe have always stayed to the end of any kind of entertainment they have ever pursued). But you won't see me heckling them for disagreeing with me.

Edited by atskooc

3 minutes ago, atskooc said:

I completely agree that people leaving early looks bad (mostly on TV).

But it is by no means actually bad.

People buy tickets to sporting events for the entertainment value the event brings. Once the value is up, people feel the desire to leave (there's nothing left for them to be entertained by).

If people aren't enjoying something that is meant for enjoyment, why should they keep doing it?  They clearly find the first 35 minutes of (generally) blowouts more entertaining than the final five minutes.

I've left sporting events early. I've left concerts early. I've left movies early. I've left theater productions early. I've stopped reading books before I've finished them. Life's too short to stick around an event meant for entertainment after the entertainment value is gone.

Life is also too short to worry about getting heckled over leaving a sporting event early. 

I too have many times left events early. Nearly everytime it was due to a conflict. Most times that conflict was sleep algebra. If I get home at x, am asleep by y, I'll get zzz amout of sleep before I have too wake up at ungodly o'clock a.m.

And I've been heckled for it. And I deserved it.

I will argue 4 things - 

1. sporting events are different than every other example you gave.

2. Nearly every time it's good natured heckling (if it's not disregard all my arguments),  

3. If you are leaving a sporting event early you should be heckled, especially if the only reason is to beat traffic.

4. if you can't take a good natured heckling then you need to suck it up buttercup!

I STAND BY MY ARGUMENTS! 😀

43 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Life is also too short to worry about getting heckled over leaving a sporting event early. 

I too have many times left events early. Nearly everytime it was due to a conflict. Most times that conflict was sleep algebra. If I get home at x, am asleep by y, I'll get zzz amout of sleep before I have too wake up at ungodly o'clock a.m.

And I've been heckled for it. And I deserved it.

I will argue 4 things - 

1. sporting events are different than every other example you gave.

2. Nearly every time it's good natured heckling (if it's not disregard all my arguments),  

3. If you are leaving a sporting event early you should be heckled, especially if the only reason is to beat traffic.

4. if you can't take a good natured heckling then you need to suck it up buttercup!

I STAND BY MY ARGUMENTS! 😀

I don't know how sporting events are different from any other form of live entertainment, but in the grand scheme of things I really don't care about the subject. If people leave early, I leave them alone, because I'm watching a game. If I leave early, I hope people would be more concerned with the game they are still following than with me leaving early (because if they're focusing on people leaving and not on the game, then why are they even still at the game?).

But since you put it in all caps, I'll let this be my last words on the matter. 😃

The new rules should solve much of the problem by preventing early leavers from getting their live-tv celebrity for doing so.
But for all those who’ve exited court-side in waning moments of a televised game (and there have been lots of these): “shameful” is the wrong word . . . “doofus” behavior is probably more like it.

And doofus behavior is always fair game for heckling.

Edited by Swan88

I do not want to send mixed messages with my response.  First, I don't ever remember leaving a game early in 50 years + of attending all sports.  So I really do not understand anyone wanting to leave early, truly, I don't understand.

Second, if someone(s) choose to leave early, they should do so discreetly and not disturb anyone else.  That holds true if you leave church, a movie, theater, a wedding, a sporting event or any other public event.   If others can see you go, or if others are asked to move or get up or are distracted, you have now made it about you at the expense of others.

Third, it is oftentimes a boorish and an aesthetically unpleasant looking process.

Lastly, I will and have heckled, specifically when my view or experience is compromised.  Yes, they bought the ticket, blah, blah, blah.  But so did I and I have rights a as well.

Did anyone else notice at the football game against Michigan State after we scored to go ahead 20-13 their fans were leaving the stadium in droves?  I did, and I kept thinking to myself "why are you leaving?"...I'm sure a lot of them regretted leaving early.