Record This Season

Fastbreaker

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

But I agree with @basketballjones in a sense. We have horses this year. We have decent players at every spot on the floor and some really, really good players in a couple of spots. There might be one or two positions where you'd think maybe it'd be nice if that guy was just a little bit better or whatever. But we don't have a real weak link anywhere and we have a few guys who are better than just solid.

The tourney ought to be the expectation with this crew. If we don't dance, we should be disappointed.

For the record... y'all will be finding me very critical of Coach Hoiberg and crew if this team is not positioned for the tourney in some way. If we're not even in the bubble conversation by early conference play I'll be a little disappointed. This is an NCAA tournament roster. There are FAR less talented or experienced teams historically that make the tourney. Our issue, and has been recently when I thought we were good enough, is just the name on the front of the jersey and the stigma that goes with it. 

Speaking of what other teams have done in the past, the following group was a 6-seed in the NCAA tourney:

6'7, 232# Sr F

6'7, 215# Sr G

6'6, 191# So G

6'3, 210# So G

5'11, 180# Sr G

6'6, 205# So F

6'8, 235# Jr F

6'9, 232# Sr F

6'5, 197# So G

Yeah, sure, they lost to Penn in the 1st round, but they were a 6-seed in the tourney.

31 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

For the record... y'all will be finding me very critical of Coach Hoiberg and crew if this team is not positioned for the tourney in some way. If we're not even in the bubble conversation by early conference play I'll be a little disappointed. This is an NCAA tournament roster. There are FAR less talented or experienced teams historically that make the tourney. Our issue, and has been recently when I thought we were good enough, is just the name on the front of the jersey and the stigma that goes with it. 

One thing Tim Miles has mentioned that he has learned and will be implementing in his new position is more of an outside-in offense rather than an inside-out offensive philosophy. In other words, he used to say "like the 3; love the rim." He's changing that to loving the 3 and liking the rim and the reason is that defenses can shut your drivers down by helping off other offensive players if you don't have anyone on your roster that can make them pay by draining a 3 when you leave them open.

That year he took us to the dance, we had Walt Pitchford draining 3s and opening the driving lanes. And a guy like James Palmer Jr can use his exceptional skill to get to the rim even when defenses would try to help off. But Texas Tech shut him down his senior year because they focused on stopping him and we didn't really have anyone who could make them pay.

I look at this roster and think we're not so easy to defend with these guys. You better not leave anyone open. We have some guys who are adept at penetrating. But we also have guys that can open driving lanes by hitting outside shots.

And, if you watched the scrimmage, one of the last shots of the night was Derrick Walker hitting a 3. And the shot looked really pure. And that's kind of fun thinking that even Derrick Walker might get the 3-bug.

Edited by Norm Peterson

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

And, if you watched the scrimmage, one of the last shots of the night was Derrick Walker hitting a 3. And the shot looked really pure. And that's kind of fun thinking that even Derrick Walker might get the 3-bug.

He only has to hit a couple to at least make teams think about it and respect it.

• 5 weeks later...