Record This Season

Fastbreaker

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

19-12 record to end the regular season

11-9 in conference play

2 - 1 in Big Ten Tournament

1 - 1 in NCAA Tournament

Final record = 22 - 14

I feel like if we're good enough to get to 11 wins in conference, we're good enough to drop no more than 2 games in the non-con. I mean, if we're good enough to win 11 in conference, who in the non-con would we lose to?

There are only 4 non-con games that aren't "buy" games (and we should win all the "buy" games). K-state was as bad last year as we were and probably didn't fill their roster holes as well as we did (they have a good transfer from Missouri, though). And that one is in Lincoln. Creighton is also in Lincoln and they lost their entire starting lineup from last year's squad. Granted, they pulled some big recruiting coups last spring, but those kids will still only be freshmen in their 3rd game of their college careers when they play us.

We have NC State on the road and Auburn in a semi-neutral setting. Those are the only excusable non-con losses AFAIC. I think we have to beat everyone else in the non-con.

14 minutes ago, 49r said:

I feel like I overuse commas as it is, think I should have put it in there?

Common misuse of the direct-address comma isn't a problem usually. Everybody knows what "Happy Birthday Bob" and "Go Big Red" mean, even if they should be "Happy Birthday, Bob" and "Go, Big Red." The problem comes with sentences such as "Let's eat, Grandma!" and "Let's eat Grandma!" or a sign I once saw at Macy's in Boulder — "Welcome Back Students!" The hell with you, Macy's. I'm not welcoming back students. The town was better without them.

Edited by jayschool

52 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Common misuse of the direct-address comma isn't a problem usually. Everybody knows what "Happy Birthday Bob" and "Go Big Red" mean, even if they should be "Happy Birthday, Bob" and "Go, Big Red." The problem comes with sentences such as "Let's eat, Grandma!" and "Let's eat Grandma!" or a sign I once saw at Macy's in Boulder — "Welcome Back Students!" The hell with you, Macy's. I'm not welcoming back students. The town was better without them.

If only Schoolhouse Rock (for those that were kids in the '70s or had kids old enough in the '70s) had done punctuation cartoons along with grammar. 

13 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

If only Schoolhouse Rock (for those that were kids in the '70s or had kids old enough in the '70s) had done punctuation cartoons along with grammar. 

Let's make it happen. Do you know any songwriters who can mimic that cheesy '70s style, and any poets who can write lyrics that 8-year olds can understand? I'm happy to serve as executive producer. Oh, and we'll need some funding.

16 hours ago, jayschool said:

Noted.  Post edited.  😁

I think the media is ranking Wisky (roster losses, bad culture) and Iowa (roster losses, idiot coach) too high. They're also rating NW too low, Cats have the second most returning minutes behind Purdue and an easy noncon to build momentum. They were young last year and lost a lot of close games.

I think we could finish as high as 7th. if Indiana doesn't adjust well to a new coach and Rutgers' offense is more anemic than usual.

Are we big enough? Are we long enough? Do we have a guy who's big and strong enough to hold down the paint? Can we rebound?

The following team (top 8 rotation listed), from a Power 5 conference, reached the Final Four just a few years ago:

Sr. 6'8, 231#, 32.8 min/gm, 10.2 ppg, 9.0 rpg

So. 6'9, 200#, 22.0 min, 5.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg

Sr. 6'4, 187#, 33.4 min, 12.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg

Sr. 6'4, 209#, 35.4 min, 25.0 ppg, 5.7 rpg

Jr. 6'0, 186#, 29.8 min, 13.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg

Fr. 6'7, 208#, 12.3 min, 3.5 ppg, 1.8 rpg

Sr. 6'1, 193#, 12.1 min, 3.3 ppg, 1.4 rpg

Fr. 6'4, 213#, 9.7 min, 2.9 ppg, 1.7 rpg

FG% = 45.9; 3pt% = 42.6; FT% = 72.8

What we probably look like:

Jr. 6'9, 239#

Jr. 6'9, 217#

Fr. 6'7, 179#

Jr. 6'4, 196#

Sr. 6'3, 163#

Fr. 6'10, 227#

So. 6'2, 177#

Fr. 6'5, 221#

Fr. 6'7, 204#

I'm guessing our FG% will be mid-40s and our 3pt% will be upper 30s. FT% might be low-70s.

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Are we big enough? Are we long enough? Do we have a guy who's big and strong enough to hold down the paint? Can we rebound?

The following team (top 8 rotation listed), from a Power 5 conference, reached the Final Four just a few years ago:

Sr. 6'8, 231#, 32.8 min/gm, 10.2 ppg, 9.0 rpg

So. 6'9, 200#, 22.0 min, 5.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg

Sr. 6'4, 187#, 33.4 min, 12.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg

Sr. 6'4, 209#, 35.4 min, 25.0 ppg, 5.7 rpg

Jr. 6'0, 186#, 29.8 min, 13.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg

Fr. 6'7, 208#, 12.3 min, 3.5 ppg, 1.8 rpg

Fr. 6'4, 213#, 9.7 min, 2.9 ppg, 1.7 rpg

Jr. 6'9, 239#

Jr. 6'9, 217#

Fr. 6'7, 179#

Jr. 6'4, 196#

Sr. 6'3, 163#

Fr. 6'10, 227#

So. 6'2, 177#

Fr. 6'5, 221#

Fr. 6'7, 204#

I'm guessing our FG% will be mid-40s and our 3pt% will be upper 30s. FT% might be low-70s.

In addition, I would suggest our roster is more comparable on experience, if not a little more experienced, considering the pandemic eligibility issue.  If memory serves me, Alonzo is a super-senior in his 5th year post high school, as are Derrick, Lat having sat out a transfer year or redshirted in college.  Meanwhile, Trey is true senior playing in his 4th year, but didn't he also play one year at Hargrave in a post-HS grad year?  Keisei is a sophomore in eligibility, but will be playing his 3rd season in college (although 1st 2 in JC).  And, CJ had a year in college already, so is a sophomore in experience.  I won't give the same credit to Keon since he hardly played, but I'd say he is a Freshman+.  Only Bryce and Wilhelm are true freshman.  

As a result, we effectively have 4 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore and 3 freshman in our nine, while the comparable had 4 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore and 2 freshman in their 8.  

58 minutes ago, fr8-train said:

In addition, I would suggest our roster is more comparable on experience, if not a little more experienced, considering the pandemic eligibility issue.  If memory serves me, Alonzo is a super-senior in his 5th year post high school, as are Derrick, Lat having sat out a transfer year or redshirted in college.  Meanwhile, Trey is true senior playing in his 4th year, but didn't he also play one year at Hargrave in a post-HS grad year?  Keisei is a sophomore in eligibility, but will be playing his 3rd season in college (although 1st 2 in JC).  And, CJ had a year in college already, so is a sophomore in experience.  I won't give the same credit to Keon since he hardly played, but I'd say he is a Freshman+.  Only Bryce and Wilhelm are true freshman.  

As a result, we effectively have 4 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore and 3 freshman in our nine, while the comparable had 4 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore and 2 freshman in their 8.  

Which isn’t as big an advantage as it looks like when considering all of the teams we play will also have players with extra years. 

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

***Sr. 6'8, 231#, 32.8 min/gm, 10.2 ppg, 9.0 rpg

***So. 6'9, 200#, 22.0 min, 5.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg

***Sr. 6'4, 187#, 33.4 min, 12.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg

****Sr. 6'4, 209#, 35.4 min, 25.0 ppg, 5.7 rpg

***Jr. 6'0, 186#, 29.8 min, 13.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg

***Fr. 6'7, 208#, 12.3 min, 3.5 ppg, 1.8 rpg

***Fr. 6'4, 213#, 9.7 min, 2.9 ppg, 1.7 rpg

***Jr. 6'9, 239#

***Jr. 6'9, 217#

*****Fr. 6'7, 179#

****Jr. 6'4, 196#

****Sr. 6'3, 163#

***Fr. 6'10, 227#

***So. 6'2, 177#

****Fr. 6'5, 221#

****Fr. 6'7, 204#

Let me add some details and include the Rivals star rating for each of the players described above, just so people can see this wasn't a Final Four team that was just loaded with a bunch of 5-star talent. Just so you know.

5 minutes ago, 49r said:

Is that Wisconsin @Norm Peterson?

Nope. It was Oklahoma with Buddy Hield in 2016.

And, just so there's no misunderstanding with anyone, I'm not saying we're as good as that OU team.

They had a guy in Buddy Hield who could score 25 ppg and shoot 3 pointers at about a 45% clip or better. And, even though their big man was not that big, he still averaged almost a double-double. Do we have guys who can do that? Yeah, probably not.

But I agree with @basketballjones in a sense. We have horses this year. We have decent players at every spot on the floor and some really, really good players in a couple of spots. There might be one or two positions where you'd think maybe it'd be nice if that guy was just a little bit better or whatever. But we don't have a real weak link anywhere and we have a few guys who are better than just solid.

The tourney ought to be the expectation with this crew. If we don't dance, we should be disappointed.

Having 3-4 (5?) knock down shooters on the floor at any given time can make up for a LOT of deficiencies in other areas. I take heart with that 11 pick knowing that Miles took two 13th place preseason picks to 4th. Fred’s due for his big jump this year & the prognosticators are just hedging their bets...