Husker Hoops Press Conference

49r

On 10/20/2021 at 4:45 PM, Handy Johnson said:

I’m sure there’s going to more than a few of those “Holy S**t” games when ALL of our 3 point shots are falling & we boat race some good teams who didn’t see it coming & THEN couldn’t stop it…

This could very well happen, but what I'm most excited about is that we seem to have enough shooting that we'll have significantly less games where we hit nothing eternally all game.  Now you can just sub the guy out and the guy coming in will likely shoot it better.  

I don't even remember the last time this was possible here.  

Edited by LK1

• 3 weeks later...

For a bit of history, the song Lift Every Voice and Sing originally was a poem to commemorate the birthday of Abraham Lincoln in 1900 and was set to music 5 years later. Also for a bit of history, there are several songs that are considered to be unofficial national anthems. Besides "Lift Every Voice and Sing" there is 

“America” (My Country, Tis of Thee)
“America the Beautiful”
“God Bless America”
"God Bless the USA"
“This Land is Your Land”

If you take the time to dig into any of these songs, you'll find that most all of them carry some controversy. Heck, Woody Guthrie wrote "This Land is your Land" as a rebuttal to  Irving Berlin's "God Bless America". 

If you're not too keen on the song "Lift Every Voice and Sing" it's ok; it's not without historical precedence.

Should they play this unofficial anthem that the players have requested? Absolutely. GBR.

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

For a bit of history, the song Lift Every Voice and Sing originally was a poem to commemorate the birthday of Abraham Lincoln in 1900 and was set to music 5 years later. Also for a bit of history, there are several songs that are considered to be unofficial national anthems. Besides "Lift Every Voice and Sing" there is 

“America” (My Country, Tis of Thee)
“America the Beautiful”
“God Bless America”
"God Bless the USA"
“This Land is Your Land”

If you take the time to dig into any of these songs, you'll find that most all of them carry some controversy. Heck, Woody Guthrie wrote "This Land is your Land" as a rebuttal to  Irving Berlin's "God Bless America". 

If you're not too keen on the song "Lift Every Voice and Sing" it's ok; it's not without historical precedence.

Should they play this unofficial anthem that the players have requested? Absolutely. GBR.

Many thought “Hail Columbia” should be the National Anthem in early America.  It’s naive to think singing a second anthem will improve our social situation but if it appeases those who do, then I can live with it.

Is standing for the second anthem mandatory or optional? If a guest soloist or group sings the Star Spangled Banner, will they be expected to also sing the new one which will follow? How about rotating the second song between the countries of players on the team like Japan, Lithuania, Canada, etc.? How long has "Lift Every Voice" been around and are royalties necessary if it is sung at every game? Just random questions since I no longer attend the games in person. 

2 hours ago, Red Rum said:

image.png

If you want to walk a mile in Derrick Walker's shoes, imagine if a reporter told you that the governor issued a press release demanding that you clap politely 3 times after each opposing player's name was announced. I very much thought our AD was trying to purposely torpedo the crowd in doing so.

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Is standing for the second anthem mandatory or optional? If a guest soloist or group sings the Star Spangled Banner, will they be expected to also sing the new one which will follow? How about rotating the second song between the countries of players on the team like Japan, Lithuania, Canada, etc.? How long has "Lift Every Voice" been around and are royalties necessary if it is sung at every game? Just random questions since I no longer attend the games in person. 

Substitute God Bless America in the equation and solve for x.  It's not like we booked Bon Jovi at the PBA and are obligated to play his new song for a year here.

Lift every voice and sing
Till earth and heaven ring
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the listening skies
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun
Let us march on till victory is won

--

I'll stand for this along with the Star Spangled Banner any time.  

On 11/9/2021 at 1:44 PM, jimmykc said:

Technically standing or sitting for either one is your choice.

Veterans day confession: I don't stand for either of them when I am watching in my living room-my knees ache too much as it is. However, I have no problem with those who stand at the games they attend. Does everyone still remain standing until we score our first basket like we used to do at the BDSC? I seem to remember a few games when it took an interminable amount of time before we sat down.

ah, when the reality of american life intrudes on the disneyland of american sport. always fun!

speaking of the national anthem, here's a corker for those of you who may have not read ALL the lyrics on the sheet, courtesy one Francis Scott Key:

Third Verse--which of course we'd never dare actually sing:

'No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight nor the gloom of the grave

And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph doth wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave

Screw Francis Scott Key (Maryland Slaver) and screw this anthem. 

Give me Guthrie's "This Land.." any day. It included literally everybody. Minus the chains.

4 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Veterans day confession: I don't stand for either of them when I am watching in my living room-my knees ache too much as it is. However, I have no problem with those who stand at the games they attend. Does everyone still remain standing until we score our first basket like we used to do at the BDSC? I seem to remember a few games when it took an interminable amount of time before we sat down.

The stadium stood through the first 4 missed layups before being able to sit in game 1

I'm not pointing fingers since I didn't see or hear most of the game, but am curious as to which players missed the crucial free throws for us down the stretch. I had hoped free throws might be a strength on this year's team and wonder who might be on the "free throw" team in a similar situation later this year when the other team decides to foul in order to get the ball back when behind.