Husker Hoops Press Conference

49r

Way ahead of where they were a year ago in terms of installing the system.

Biggest change is shooting ability and then depth.

A name we might not look at a lot who was mentioned twice is Keon Edwards, once because of his shooting and the second time because of his defense -- his ability to move his feet and his length.

Depth, it's like in the past, if we had 8 legit players that could cover all positions, we felt pretty good.

This year, there will be legit players who will almost never see the floor because our rotation won't go nearly as deep as our bench. In the past, our rotation was limited by the quality of the bench. This year, we could go as deep as we want and still have quality players who just won't get minutes.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

This year, there will be legit players who will almost never see the floor because our rotation won't go nearly as deep as our bench. In the past, our rotation was limited by the quality of the bench. This year, we could go as deep as we want and still have quality players who just won't get minutes.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

Better get used to Wilhelm at the 5 as well. Sounds like he will play there. Interested to see how the minutes are divided at the post.

Let's see, Wilhelm at the 5 plus four other shooters. That should help spread the floor.

11 hours ago, 49r said:

I'm gonna need to get a judgment from @Norm Peterson on that release...

It's niiiiice. Like a warm sweater on a crisp fall afternoon.

He's the most talented true freshman big I can remember us having since Dave Hoppen. His skill level is really high.

But, while I get the idea of him having the ability to draw Kofi away from the paint when we're on offense, we'll have to hit threes at a pretty high clip to make up for him making 100% of his dunks when we're on defense.

As talented as Wilhelm is, he's not built to keep guys like Kofi out of the paint. I see him as a prototypical stretch 4, but if Fred thinks he's a fit at the 5, who am I to argue?

Oh, and I fixed something for you. You're welcome. 😇

57 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

As talented as Wilhelm is, he's not built to keep guys like Kofi out of the paint. I see him as a prototypical stretch 4, but if Fred thinks he's a fit at the 5, who am I to argue?

That's the crux of it, isn't it?   It's a measure of what damage Kofi can do on offense down low against Wil vs the value of opening up the post for our offense.   Some of that depends upon Illinois's other players as you can help Wil with double downs.    Kind of hard to say which will work best  without actually testing it real time.  Good to have options. 

In the video clip it looks like he is starting to put on weight in the shoulders and chest.   Doesn't look as thin.   Happy to see that as some guys struggle to put on weight.   To see it in his first year is a great sign!

Edited by REDitus

7 hours ago, REDitus said:

That's the crux of it, isn't it?   It's a measure of what damage Kofi can do on offense down low against Wil vs the value of opening up the post for our offense.   Some of that depends upon Illinois's other players as you can help Wil with double downs.    Kind of hard to say which will work best  without actually testing it real time.  Good to have options. 

In the video clip it looks like he is starting to put on weight in the shoulders and chest.   Doesn't look as thin.   Happy to see that as some guys struggle to put on weight.   To see it in his first year is a great sign!

I do not struggle to put on weight…especially the older I get….

• 3 weeks later...
  • 49r changed the title to Husker Hoops Press Conference
11 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

It’s easy to forget sometimes that we have such a high quality Coach & that this program is about ready to take off in a BIG way...

Nope. Not possible to do around me. I remind anyone that will listen any chance I get of this fact. It usually elicits an eye roll from my wife and the response, "Yes babe we know. Your Huskers are about to be great."

14 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Nope. Not possible to do around me. I remind anyone that will listen any chance I get of this fact. It usually elicits an eye roll from my wife and the response, "Yes babe we know. Your Huskers are about to be great."

Hoiberg could lose every game this year and I would still think he’s one of the top 5 offensive minds in the world. He convinced me of that almost a decade ago. Of course, there’s a lot more that goes into winning college basketball games than just having a brilliant X’s and O’s mind. 

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Hoiberg could lose every game this year and I would still think he’s one of the top 5 offensive minds in the world. He convinced me of that almost a decade ago. Of course, there’s a lot more that goes into winning college basketball games than just having a brilliant X’s and O’s mind. 

I've heard one of his strengths is getting players to believe in themselves.

5 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I’m sure there’s going to more than a few of those “Holy S**t” games when ALL of our 3 point shots are falling & we boat race some good teams who didn’t see it coming & THEN couldn’t stop it…

18 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’m sure there’s going to more than a few of those “Holy S**t” games when ALL of our 3 point shots are falling & we boat race some good teams who didn’t see it coming & THEN couldn’t stop it…

Please lord baby Jesus let the 1st instance of this be the Crieghton game 🙏