2021-22 Rule changes

hhcmatt

From this Norlander piece, which has a lot more to read besides rules

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-starts-in-50-days-so-here-are-50-things-to-know-about-the-2021-22-season/

3 new rules

1. Allowance at the league level for coaches to use technology/live statistics and video on the bench
2. Shot clocks will have tenths of seconds on display now -- if schools want to invest in new clocks

3. Experimental rule to be tried during the NIT: Increase to six fouls, with a maximum of four fouls allowed per half

"Under the experimental rule, any player called for four personal fouls in one half would be disqualified from playing the rest of the game. For example, a player who picks up four fouls in the first half would have to sit out the rest of the game. If a player has one foul in the first half, he would be disqualified after picking up four in the second half. If a player has three fouls in the first half, he would be disqualified after being called for three fouls in the second half." 

2 minutes ago, atskooc said:

What’s the reason for the tenth of a second on the shot clock? Seems unnecessary. 

They've done it in the NBA for a while.  I think we already have shot clocks at PBA that are capable of displaying tenths now but I'm not 100% certain on that.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

They've done it in the NBA for a while.  I think we already have shot clocks at PBA that are capable of displaying tenths now but I'm not 100% certain on that.

That doesn't answer my question.

Still seems unnecessary.

But I think going to the tenth of a second in the final minute is silly as well. It really only matters in any way in the final second.

Not that it's really all that important.

31 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Still seems unnecessary.

But I think going to the tenth of a second in the final minute is silly as well. It really only matters in any way in the final second.

I think that bringing the chain gang out and measuring the spot of a football on short yardage situations is also unnecessary.  It's a complete judgement call that is subject to all kinds of human error, but yet we go through the drama anyway.  You can't tell me that every time a ref places the ball down on the field he's accurate within millimeters...or even inches...of where the true spot of the ball is every time.

21 minutes ago, 49r said:

I think that bringing the chain gang out and measuring the spot of a football on short yardage situations is also unnecessary.  It's a complete judgement call that is subject to all kinds of human error, but yet we go through the drama anyway.  You can't tell me that every time a ref places the ball down on the field he's accurate within millimeters...or even inches...of where the true spot of the ball is every time.

Couldn't agree more.

45 minutes ago, 49r said:

Not just the ball, but the chain as well...its silly.

6 hours ago, atskooc said:

Still seems unnecessary.

The only time it might be relevant is when you have less than .4 because in theory you cannot get off a shot in that time. 

13 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

The only time it might be relevant is when you have less than .4 because in theory you cannot get off a shot in that time. 

Yup. 

Which is why I’ve never understood using the tenth of a second in the last minute. If anything it should just be the last second. 

• 7 months later...