I'm Liking the Look of this Team!

Red Don

19 hours ago, Red Don said:

I think I read where Nailah Dillard is out for this season because of a torn ACL she suffered recently after just returning to practice following season-ending hip surgery last season. 

I'm a little surprised (read disappointed) that Tatiana Popa is redshirting; we must have good depth at that position now; maybe she needs additional time to fill-out grow into her frame and develop more.

Trinity Brady seems to have been in a 'news' void for about the past year.

We have Issy, Bella, Anni, Alexis, and from what I understand Kendall C., at the 4 and the 5.  So that is 80 minutes to be divided between those 5 players. Tatiana would not  benefit from being the 6th piece of an already jammed rotation.  Hopefully I'm wrong about Coley who should be a 3.  So if Issy and Bella ONLY play 25 mins each, that leaves 10 minutes each for Anni, Alexis, and Kendall C., who all can do very good things.  Also, I feel Bella is very underrated as she rebounds and defends like a beast, moves the ball, and can play very well without taking a ton of shots which is a rare ability.

Thanks for the discussion @huskerfrank.   :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:  We need more like it for WBB.   I'm hoping Bella gets more recognition for her (ample) talents and contributions this season now that she won't be in Kate Cain's shadow.  As you mentioned she's a monster defender; I think we were very fortunate to get her as a transfer. 

I'm thinking we are going to be pleasantly surprised by the incoming recruits this year.  It seems last year's team out-performed a lot of our expectations (or we underestimated their abilities) and I'm hoping (expecting  :Koolaid2:) this year's team does too!   I'm only disappointed that we won't get to see Tatiana play this season, but that may bode well for the future. 

Edited by Red Don

I'm not surprised that coach is red shirting Popa.  Having a year to build her strength as well as learning more in practice will benefit her future.  If I remember right she was still growing not that long ago.  The Big Ten is a very physical league especially for posts.  This will be a big plus for her. With 16 players on the team having a redshirt or two can be a good thing. I think Coley will basically be a 3 but could be a stretch 4 in certain situations like matchups or an injury to one of our forwards.  Coach has a lot of options with the depth we have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...