I'm Liking the Look of this Team!

Red Don

Good article by Sam in today's OWH.   A few things mentioned:  Kendall Moriarty could be used as a defensive stopper.  Nailah Dillard is out for the year with an ACL tear. Tatiana Popa will redshirt this year.  And, Sam Haiby, because of the Covid impact on college sports, is again listed as a junior.  She has not made any decisions regarding returning for another year or not. 

1 hour ago, 12dozen said:

Good article by Sam in today's OWH.   A few things mentioned:  Kendall Moriarty could be used as a defensive stopper.  Nailah Dillard is out for the year with an ACL tear. Tatiana Popa will redshirt this year.  And, Sam Haiby, because of the Covid impact on college sports, is again listed as a junior.  She has not made any decisions regarding returning for another year or not. 

The Lincoln paper also had an article. Mentioned that Jaz Shelley is a great point guard. So we have went from really having no point guards since Theriot, to having two good ones in Shelley and Weidner. And Markowski kept telling how she likes and wants to win.  said it fifteen times in a meeting with Coach.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 1:16 PM, Fastbreaker said:

The Lincoln paper also had an article. Mentioned that Jaz Shelley is a great point guard. So we have went from really having no point guards since Theriot, to having two good ones in Shelley and Weidner. And Markowski kept telling how she likes and wants to win.  said it fifteen times in a meeting with Coach.

I would like to comment on the point guard comment. Hannah Whitish was an awesome pg in 17-18.  She ran the show on the 21-11 team that was 6 games over 500 in the B10 and made the tournament. I think we would all be happy with 12-6 in conference this year. 

20 hours ago, huskerfrank said:

I would like to comment on the point guard comment. Hannah Whitish was an awesome pg in 17-18.  She ran the show on the 21-11 team that was 6 games over 500 in the B10 and made the tournament. I think we would all be happy with 12-6 in conference this year. 

Yes she did have a good first year but seemed to digress the next 3.  Maybe because the conference got stronger and she wasn't surrounded with as much talent.

Actually it was Hannah's sophomore year. If you look at the roster from 17-18, they ended up having three players go into coaching Wood, Simon, and Cincore. Wood and Cincore as seniors played a big role I think in setting the tone for that group. Leadership can play a big part of the success of a team. 

2 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

Actually it was Hannah's sophomore year. If you look at the roster from 17-18, they ended up having three players go into coaching Wood, Simon, and Cincore. Wood and Cincore as seniors played a big role I think in setting the tone for that group. Leadership can play a big part of the success of a team. 

yes, i am very happy Hannah was a husker------however, she struggled at times with her passing and ball handling. 

8 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

That is one thing I hope we have have this year. More consistent passing and ball handling. We have had our trouble with both over the years.

One of the statistics that will reflect on how we are doing in this area is our assist to turnover ratio.  

You like to have a 2:1 ratio for assists to turnovers for your guards. At times we have had those number in games. But what seems to burn us in close games is one or two turnovers late that lead to points for the wrong team. I think we can all think of past games where we was tied or down/up a basket and we make a bad pass that leads to a quick two from them. Those hurt. Now you can expect those from freshman. But too often it has been 3-4 year players making those key mistakes. Watching the top teams in the B1G and their PGs rarely make those mistakes. Hopefully we have a couple of PGs that can turn this trend for us. 

We have been equal opportunity turnover achievers for the most part really. We share making turnovers.  Every position.

A Coaches nightmare. Obviously, it can be the difference win or lose.

That being said, it's not real prevalent. We seem to be streaky ......go a couple of games OK, then get caught up in the turnover monster.  Simply skill and mental development needed? 

Teams with quick defenders have been able to take advantage of us at times. Causing turnovers....& stealing the ball.  But many times it's just poor decision making....lack focus.  

This new team has to be a coaches dream. Lots of talent.

With the mix of lots of newbies, this team will be so new to playing together, that turnovers colud be an issue early on. We'll see... but this is probably the most skilled team Coach Amy's had. Hope the team is able to make a markedly positive difference as this coming season goes on.  With this size squad, pick out and  play those that are better ball handlers ?

Edited by redsteve

3 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

You like to have a 2:1 ratio for assists to turnovers for your guards. At times we have had those number in games. But what seems to burn us in close games is one or two turnovers late that lead to points for the wrong team. I think we can all think of past games where we was tied or down/up a basket and we make a bad pass that leads to a quick two from them. Those hurt. Now you can expect those from freshman. But too often it has been 3-4 year players making those key mistakes. Watching the top teams in the B1G and their PGs rarely make those mistakes. Hopefully we have a couple of PGs that can turn this trend for us. 

I agree a 2:1 ratio is a great goal.  The only person to achieve that last year was Whitney Brown who was 2.25:1.  She was only a freshman as well.

I think I read where Nailah Dillard is out for this season because of a torn ACL she suffered recently after just returning to practice following season-ending hip surgery last season. 

I'm a little surprised (read disappointed) that Tatiana Popa is redshirting; we must have good depth at that position now; maybe she needs additional time to fill-out grow into her frame and develop more.

Trinity Brady seems to have been in a 'news' void for about the past year.

Edited by Red Don