2022 SF Denim Dawson -LOI

hugh42

seems to be a pretty good athlete, aggressive to the basket and active on defense.  I truly think after traudt committed to Virginia it was we’ll get any forward we can.  Kohler was a long shot from some of the stuff he’d said in interviews.  To me personally I think this kid and green were pretty interchangeable when I watch both players films and most people seemed okay with a green commitment.  Gotta think their is going to be attrition next year as well and they don’t want to leave open scholarships this year if they don’t have to.  Either way this year we just wanted to get some pieces in place and then really start commuting our top 3-4 hard for 2023.  

59 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Mentally I have him somewhere between Khyri Thomas and Elijah Wood, which is a pretty big range. 

Hope we got a guy who is up and coming as opposed to someone who had a really good weekend when we saw him.

I’d said this elsewhere but the coaches usually take at least one project player each cycle. These are guys they can work with at the end of the bench that aren’t going to need minutes right away. If they hit that’s great, if not they move on and we take a chance on the next guy. 

Previously Fred always liked having sit out guys because you can only play 8-10 on a regular rotation. Now that players can play right away you need guys at the end of the bench that aren’t going to necessarily need or have earned the minutes yet. I think that’s what you will see going forward with those 3-5 spots are guys that can do one thing really well or guys that have the tools but need some fine tuning. 

20 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

I’d said this elsewhere but the coaches usually take at least one project player each cycle. These are guys they can work with at the end of the bench that aren’t going to need minutes right away. If they hit that’s great, if not they move on and we take a chance on the next guy. 

Previously Fred always liked having sit out guys because you can only play 8-10 on a regular rotation. Now that players can play right away you need guys at the end of the bench that aren’t going to necessarily need or have earned the minutes yet. I think that’s what you will see going forward with those 3-5 spots are guys that can do one thing really well or guys that have the tools but need some fine tuning. 

To me, not being privy to what the coaching staff thinks they will have for next year, it seems early to take what might be a project player. I also don't know if they think he's a project or under-scouted.

7 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

To me, not being privy to what the coaching staff thinks they will have for next year, it seems early to take what might be a project player. I also don't know if they think he's a project or under-scouted.

I agree, taking him this early leads me to believe he is not a reach in their eyes. He looks an awful lot like some of his wings at ISU to me

• 3 weeks later...
  • hhcmatt changed the title to 2022 SF Denim Dawson -VC
  • hhcmatt pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • hhcmatt changed the title to 2022 SF Denim Dawson -LOI
  • 1 month later...

There wasn't much discussion regarding this class after they signed, but I think we have some guys that are going to surprise even us die hard fans (fingers crossed). Keita and Lloyd look to make the quickest impact, but don't sleep on Lawrence and Dawson. Just a feeling that all of these guys are going to help elevate the program to where we want it to be.

Saw a quote from Hoiberg that Dawson already dives on the floor for more balls that the rest of the team combined.

Good on him .... but wow on everyone else. I'm going to put a positive spin on it and say that Fred is exaggerating with that quote a bit to try to motivate the other guys. Because if he is being truthful, that actually may explain a lot about the product we're seeing on the floor right now.

You'd think that having players give that kind of effort and go through that level of grinding at practice would be a minimum expectation from the coaches at this level, not the exception.

• 2 weeks later...